PS2 TO GO 64bit!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AdmiralArcher, Feb 4, 2014.

1. AdmiralArcher

what he meant is that computers these days are built to be outdated the day you turn it on, so any currently in production 32bit computers are outdated before they are even made. netbooks might be 32 bit, but i dont think a netbook can run PS2 :D
  2. treeHamster

32-bit might be more efficient but that's because they can't use more than 4 gb (theoretically, realistically it's a lot less).

A 64-bit version means we could use as much memory as we have to give the game!
    • Up x 1
  3. f0d

imo it wont make much difference at all as ps2 is already LAA and can use more than 4GB if it needs to

changing the game to DX11 would have more improvement than going 64bit
    multi core support has nothing to do with 64bit
    • Up x 1
  4. DeadliestMoon

In 10 years we'll have Windows 13.1, all monitors will run native 4k resolution, the Steam Machines will have flopped 9 years ago, 100+tb harddrives, and running on 128bit OSs.
    • Up x 1
  5. Klypto

If we are using over 16 billion terabytes of RAM to justify 128 bit, I doubt our hard drives would be starting that small.
    • Up x 2
  6. Camycamera

wait, so they are moving over completely to 64 bit? :eek:

i am all for 64 bit and all, but isn't that going to leave out the windows xp users? yeah they should have upgraded a LONG time ago, but still...

maybe it is a small percentage that play on xp then and that is why they are moving fully over.
  7. Phazaar

Is that weird nonsense about a database so we don't realise this is because SOE have only just been told that PS4's run 64 bit? :S
  8. Hatesphere

In ten years people might be using Qbits for all we know.
  9. Camycamera

10. Astealoth

Every version of Windows that can run this game has a stable 64 bit release. Most of them can use the serial keys from their 32 bit counterparts. Every CPU that can even dream of running this game can operate optimally with a 64 bit OS. Isn't really much excuse to stay in 32 bit, maybe extreme laziness.

I have a suuuuper hard time believing that Smed means 6% of people play on 32 bit CPUs. 32 bit operating systems makes more sense, but CPUs have been released as 64 bit native since the Prescott Pentium 4. It's just not possible to play this game on CPUs like that or older unless you had a custom motherboard with like 8 of them on there.
  11. Hatesphere

actually native 64 bit applications do run faster on a 64 bit processor, they can also access more then 4gb of ram (LLA flag limits 32 bit programs to 4gb on a 64 bit system) 64-bit architecture also has improved floating-point performance and faster passing of parameters that cant fully be utilized by a native 32 bit application. this could in the end help solve a lot of pop in issues that some people get on slower CPUs as far as I understand it.
  12. Kn1fey

As stated in the Tweet only 6% of users in the last month don't have a 64 bit processor.

I have done some calculation based on the Steam Hardware and Software Survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) to find out how many Windows Users on Steam are using 32bit OS v 64bit OS

The results are as follows:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. DukeFlash

What about Q-berts?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  14. Turyen

Games have been known to run both 32 bit and 64 bit clients.
  15. Wargrim

Reposting my throughts from PSU:

I am one of the last 32 bit System players of PS2, and i think this is a GOOD move.

They never managed to get the game running crash free on a 32 Bit system, and they probably never will. The 3 GB effective ram you can use with a 32 Bit system is just not enough for PS2.

I always thought that if they could not stop the crashing on 32 Bit they should take the honest route and raise the minimum requirements. Switching to 64 Bit only will in essence do that, AND it should improve stability and performance for the 94% that are already on a 64 Bit system.

I guess that they will still support DX9 for a while, but depending on what the PS4 uses internally ( Anyone knows? Afaik its AMD hardware should be way past the DX9 era, and might encourage Mantle support for PS2 on PC... ) i would not be surprised if in a year or two they switch to DX10/Dx11 only.

After all, PS2 is a demanding game. No other game so far does what it does.

Now the question that remains is if i will be able to gather the money for a new system first, or the 64 Bit switch will come first. Given the speed that SOE works at, i think my chances of being faster are pretty good. [IMG]
  16. f0d

i still dont think it will make as much difference as people think it will
    games like crysis have had a 64bit option and it made zero difference
    DX11 on the other hand has a multithreaded renderer which imo would make much more difference
    (also you are right about LAA and 4GB - i just had a brainderp and typed it wrong)

its GREAT that they are doing this but i dont think there will be much performance gained out of it compared to what going DX11 would provide (especially since i rarely ever get anywhere near 4GB PS2 usage)
  17. Desann

SHHHHHHHH, let them argue!
    • Up x 1
  18. MrPootisBrights

I can't wait for this to come.
    • Up x 1
  19. Ranari

We will find more use for quantum computing than what we're using them for now, but they won't be powering Windows, that's for sure. Quantum computers are still in their infancy, but their potential is enormous, and they will be critical in allowing mankind to step through the next technological barrier because of their ability to solve problems in seconds that on today's computers would take many years (and, more importantly, at a fraction of the energy cost). With that said though, most of speedup provided by quantum computers is really only found in the mathematical areas of cryptography, chemistry, and nanotechnology. Of course, those are pretty broad fields, so once quantum computers come commercially online, they're going to have enormous impact on every aspect of your life.

But, until we can develop a room temperature superconductor, they won't be running windows. Such superconductors require rather exotic cooling technology, so the first few generations of quantum computers will most undoubtedly only be found at a corporate, government, and university level.

Personal opinion here - There is something we absolutely need to be concerned with regarding quantum computers, and that's their ability to pretty much break any of today's most advanced encryption algorithms in mere seconds, rendering any encryption useless. That means you can kiss any privacy and security goodbye, and that's a pretty big deal depending on who's hands it's in. Thankfully we don't have a working quantum computer capable of doing this just yet, but it's only a matter of time before we do. My thoughts? Unless we can come up with new encryption methods that aren't easily cracked by quantum computing, the first thing the NSA is going to do with a workable quantum supercomputer is catalog the entire internet: Surface web, darknet, deep web, and all (which'll be a very bad day for criminals). Now, I'm no fan of the NSA, but imagine if a foreign country did this? Since encryption doesn't really stop a quantum computer, it would allow any foreign country to basically waltz in and take whatever information they want from any company whose database is connected. That's a pretty big deal. But, I'm sure it won't be the end of the world, either. We'll figure out those problems as they arise. :)
  20. AdmiralArcher

i wonder when they will notice? :D
    • Up x 2