Lag/Desync NJ Verizon Fios Waterson/Matherson

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Riley5, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Riley5

Please post in this thread if you
    1. Live in the New Jersey area
    2. Have Verizon Fios as your ISP
    3. Lag and desync really bad on the east coast PS2 servers (Waterson or Matherson)
    4. Can play on west coast server (Connery) with no problems.
  2. Riley5

To be really helpful, open the console (win+R, type 'cmd' in the box, push enter)
    Now type this command: tracert 199.108.194.41
    Now copy the results to a text file somewhere. Compare the route taken on days you CAN play just fine, vs days when it lags really bad. For example:

I can play fine when my route is this:
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 3 ms 4 ms 4 ms L100.NWRKNJ-VFTTP-124.verizon-gni.net [108.35.8.1]
    3 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms G1-2-0-7.NWRKNJ-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.175.102]
    4 4 ms 5 ms 4 ms 130.81.199.14
    5 10 ms 28 ms 29 ms 0.xe-3-0-2.XL3.EWR6.ALTER.NET [152.63.5.189]
    6 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms TenGigE0-4-0-1.GW5.EWR6.ALTER.NET [152.63.23.74]
    7 20 ms 16 ms 5 ms llnw-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.83.226]
    8 18 ms 12 ms 12 ms tge2-4.fr3.iad.llnw.net [69.28.171.157]
    9 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms sony.ge4-12.fr3.iad.llnw.net [68.142.111.254]
    10 28 ms 27 ms 28 ms abepsn-liv-gw04.planetside2.com [199.108.194.41]

Lag and desync is so bad I cannot play when my route is this:

1 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 5 ms 5 ms 3 ms L100.NWRKNJ-VFTTP-124.verizon-gni.net [108.35.8.1]
    3 10 ms 7 ms 17 ms G1-2-0-7.NWRKNJ-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
    75.102]
    4 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 130.81.162.64
    5 11 ms 9 ms 7 ms 0.xe-10-0-1.GW13.NYC1.ALTER.NET [152.63.20.169]
    6 9 ms 10 ms 11 ms llnw-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.29.230]
    7 16 ms 22 ms 33 ms tge2-4.fr3.iad.llnw.net [69.28.171.157]
    8 19 ms 14 ms 15 ms sony.ge4-12.fr3.iad.llnw.net [68.142.111.254]
    9 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms abepsn-liv-gw04.planetside2.com [199.108.194.41]
  3. Riley5

As you may have guessed, I am a Verizon Fios customer in the NJ area, and on most days since about two weeks ago I cannot play Planetside on either east coast server. I can play on west coast (Connery) with no problems, but that's not where my characters are :(
  4. Entropologist

FIOS, Northern NJ. My issue is warping/teleporting since around the introduction of new esf weapons. I get warping on Waterson, but Connery is fine. This issue begins when I log in on the warpgate: It takes a long time to load terminals, people and vehicles appear on my screan but soon begin to warp/teleport/slide around, terminals take much time to access, shooting at enemies does no damage, after some time in the middle of what I hoped would be a fight I am dead from fire probably shot minutes ago.

This issue comes in and out intermittently. After waiting for it to go away, just to have it come back at another time, I read advice to use a VPN. Since using a VPN, I am able to play on Waterson with no issues. Although I must complain that while using the VPN it sometimes takes 10 attempts to enter the Waterson, although entering Connery has no issues, the significance of which I do not know.
  5. NoctD

I have Fios, Central NJ. Same issues, it works good if I get routed via EWR6, but bad if I get routed via NYC1. Happens on Waterson, Mattherson and PTS (Test Server).
  6. NoctD

Just tested again - and still routed via NYC1 but now its working properly (for now, we'll see if it comes back).
  7. VoidMagic

Seems to only happen during prime time during high population. I've made the mistake of thinking it was gone, to have it pop up again and again. <3 PS and always will... but this is unplayable. I think I'm fairly lag tolerant, and forgiving of performance in general... however, waiting several (up to 11) minutes for the servers to catch up to a request to spawn...

The heck of it is ... when you get fed up and go to log off... you have to task kill it cause it just keeps zipping the completion bar around and never logs you out... lol Reminds me of PS1 on dial up during big zergs...

I sent in my tracert info etc... haven't heard back from a csr in over 2 days lol... /facepalm o well.

Dealing with Verizon is alot like smashing your face repeatedly into a brick wall so... hopefully SOE gets some traction... although... it's awefully suspicious that this started to occur after the ESF update.

As a developer, I'd bet that some of the performance code didn't merge correctly with the ESF update code, as that was most likely in development by seperate teams at the same time. Code Merges are treacherous, and can be full of fail.
  8. Entropologist

Your input helps, but if It is mostly kept as facts rather than conjecture we are more likely to get a clear response.
  9. GaryOak

This problem actually started several days (2 days I think) prior to the ESF update, so it isn't due to any client changes or code problems. And yes, I live in NJ, have FIOS, and EU/USW servers are fine for me while USE is unplayable.
  10. PinkamenaDianePie

11. Saval

/signed

All my friends in the area (Northern NJ with Verizon Fios), including myself, are having the same issues as described above, on the Waterson server. The server worked great for a year, up until a day or two before the ESF update hit. It was either the night before or a day, I don't remember. So something happened, no idea what. Prime time hours is about right. The server actually worked with no lag issues for a period of 2-3 days a while ago I think, before going back to desync and lag all the time. Sometimes I can squeeze in an hour here and there during off hours, but yeah it goes to unplayable basically in the evenings...though sometimes even in the mornings when there's nobody on I still get horrible lag. So I can't really say if it's random or not...and the server was unplayable for almost two weeks before we had a day or two of relief...
  12. Amarsir

Thank you for the well-named thread. Today marks three full weeks since I first opened a ticket on this. I have to (reluctantly) say that I think support is aware of the issue. Every time I update the ticket they say "we're working on it, please check the forum threads". Which is absolutely no help, but it's not what you would say if trying to close a ticket.
  13. Centhan

Yes, we all have the same story. NJ, Verizon FIOS, can't play on the east coast servers, but Connery (west coast) always works fine. I think now we all seem to be getting a day here and there where it's fine, then a day or so of unplayable lag. There seems to be no real pattern for me, because sometimes at the heaviest times, I can play OK, other times I can't. Then again sometimes at totally off peak hours, I still can't play. Everything takes literally a minute or two to access. All movable objects just float across the screen and/or warp around. I've tried all the idiot things they usually tell you to do (although no official has contacted me via my ticket or posted anything), which are reset router, restart computer, etc etc. I have no internet or computer issues with any other thing in the universe except for Planetside2.

No idea what the answer is, but as I've said in the other thread (which is now about 11 pages), I won't be giving any more money to this game unfortunately. I'll just continue to play for free when/if I can. I really like it, but can't see myself paying with these lag/desync issues that are unresolved, or maybe even worse, unacknowledged.
  14. Riley5

15. Amarsir

I've been OK since last night. Not the first time we've seen a reprieve that later came back, but for the moment at least I for one am not experiencing any problems.
  16. Riley5

My symptoms are gone too. But like Amarsir says, this wouldn't be the first time they've left only to suddenly return.