[Suggestion] Anti-vehicle grenades should stick to vehicles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by blashyrk92, Feb 3, 2014.

1. blashyrk92

Currently they can only be used against stationary vehicles, and they don't really do a lot of damage.
    But the damage is fine, it's not supposed to be a substitute for C4 which is supposed to be both riskier and more rewarding (it also costs more resources).

But I feel like they're not particularly useful at the moment because:
    1. They have damage reduction at range.
    2. They bounce off of ground and vehicles so you basically can't ever use them against moving vehicles.
    I think that if a player manages to hit a vehicle, the AV grenade should stick to the vehicle whereas if you throw it against a wall or ground it should bounce like it does right now.

Thoughts?
    • Up x 6
  2. Canaan

Or they could just make it explode on impact, like I personally thought it was going to do.
    • Up x 3
  3. blashyrk92

I'm not so sure about this as it would probably make them more efficient against infantry as well.
  4. Korban

That or less bounce.
  5. plek

i completely agree, when i first tried them out i was confident they would stick to vehicles, but this turned out not to be the case. the logical expectation of having them stick is a strong enough point in my opinion, as many seem to have this expectation. but furthermore the relatively small amount of damage they deal is further diminished by the fact that they are almost useless against moving targets. if you carry an AV grenade and get close enough to toss it at an enemy vehicle, the risk/reward should pay of, but currently it does not.

also, look at WW2, where magnetic grenades were considered such a reasonable threat that the germans started coating their tanks in "zimmerit" to keep them from sticking. and arguably, WW2 style warfare is a major inspiration in this game. there were also actual "sticky" grenades, practically covered in glue, so the concept is very real no matter the implementation. (and yes, there are actual sticky grenades in game, but they do not damage tanks).
  6. Metalsheep

I would be fine with this. Anti-Vehicle grenades aren't very effective at all right now against vehicles. It's quite difficult to actually hit one right now that isn't stationary.

However, they are quite good against MAXs currently.

They either need to A: Stick to vehicles like the OP suggests.
    or B: Detonate on impact, which would also work.
    • Up x 3
  7. SenEvason

I very rarely see people use them, so having them stick or detonate on impact would be a welcome buff.
  8. sustainedfire

Sticky grenades work pretty well against ESF.
  9. Ultramarine

They deal an almost worthless amount of damage, the least they could do is stick. Call them "Magnetic" and write some simple logic check to be sure it does not stick to biological units. Maybe it also sticks to MAXes?
  10. blashyrk92

Yes, they do very little damage. All the more reason to run with Grenade Bandolier.

I think this change would also bring more meaningful HA specialization, Grenade Bandolier in the suit slot and anti vehicle grenades and C4 in the utility slot - a complete AV loadout.
    • Up x 1
  11. RogueVindicare

I would definitely be FOR them sticking to vehicles, but AGAINST them sticking to MAXes.
  12. Metalsheep

If I recall correctly, they deal about as much damage as a stock rocketlauncher when a vehicle is hit by the inner blast. The problem is that they bounce and roll and next to never hit the vehicle with its full payload.

I wouldnt Mind them sticking to MAXs as well, maybe with some kind of indicator you've been stuck. Kind of like the plasma grenade in Halo, it makes a beeping sound followed by a chargeup before detonating. It would make the victim a little more aware of what damaged him.
    • Up x 1
  13. DeadlyShoe

great suggestion!
  14. maudibe

In VR if you take out a tank and stand back and throw them at it, they are equivalent to a rocket launcher hit...but they bounce and if the tank is moving = 0 damage unless you got lucky and lead the throw. The up side is you can toss a couple in the time it takes to get one rocket off. As said if one was possibly lucky enough to get behind a stationary tank with an HA and leave a C4 brick and then toss a couple AV grenades and hit it with a hip fire rocket and all that could be done quickly enough to almost destroy a tank.
  15. FateJH

They also have "direction" - they can land with the majority of the explosion facing away from the intended target - though that may have been silently yanked (or may I was the one whose chain was yanked).
  16. Pikachu

I think they should be magnetic. They move towards vehicles and attaches itself to them if the target is within a certain radius. This includes grenades that are lying on the ground already. This obviously mean they would stick on hit. This should also work on MAXes. :)
  17. Halcyon

AV nades are still in the game?
    Pfft, haven't even noticed.
  18. Iridar51

Yep, I also thought of that. Makes sense.
  19. Pikachu

They serve to make infantry feel humiliated when they get killed by it.
  20. Spolin

• Up x 1