Have Coyote Missiles taken away the prestige of winning a2a fights?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AirborneCarrot, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Admiralty

A few things I think need to be tweaked, either one of these should happen:

- Reduce the amount they are able to turn, it shouldn't be possible for these things to do near 90 degree turns once the vehicle is within lock on range. I shouldn't be getting hit by these even when I'm doing one of the sharpest reverse thrusts.

- Their velocity pre buff was bad and we all know it, but now its overbuffed - somewhere around the middle should be enough.

- Maintain using weapon to lock (not maintain aim on target to lock as with Tomcats) As it stands, it has the problem of being too fire and forget like the pre nerf Tomcats. You just mag dump them, wait a split second for them to begin the reload then switch to the nose gun with very little interruption to damage output. Make it so that unless you are still 'using' the Coyotes (I.e. they are your current active weapon) then they will just act as dumbfires which don't have the homing ability.

I can't speak for their A2G abilities as I've personally never been killed by one in that situation before.
  2. Santondouah

top pilots are not even concerned by coyotes as they manage to stay at 50m+ from you while moving, which makes them quite hard to effectively hit with coyotes (maybe you'd hit them once or twice). If you get to die from coyotes in 1v1, you're not a "top pilot".
  3. Silkensmooth

Casuals can play infantry and do just fine. You don't need to dumb air down to get new players playing. Most people who are new to the game don't come to ps2 to fly.

Most new players play infantry.

Saying that the game will die if we don't dumb air down is preposterous.

There are multiple avenues for those seeking EZ kills. There should also be places where skill trumps noob tubes and air provided that.

By trying to make the game accessible to all you make it useless to many.

Old games dont get a lot of new players. That is why most games population decline over time with the rare exceptions of WoW and EvE. I started on genudine, merged to helios and then mrged again to connery. Three server mergers so far, does that seem like lots of new players are playing?

Who comes to a FPS expecting to win with anything but skill? Seriously, who does that? Isn't that what WoW is for? for the people who just want to feel good about themselves?

Aren't FPS for people who actually want skill to matter? I thought that was the entire whole entire complete and entire point.
  4. Corewin

I'm not disagreeing that the Air Hammer needed readjusting, but rather the fact that there are those that believe Coyotes suddenly don't fit that same level of "lul wut?" gameplay. Utilizing a primary gun like the Vortek requires the user to do significant aiming at a target that does not have to fulfill the same criteria to be effective. Centering up a target with a primary cannon requires the ESF to be moving in a predictable pattern to land hits. That predictable pattern, be it straight forward, upwards, side to side, is incredibly easy to track with Coyotes.

This hasn't changed, getting the drop on someone is often the decider when two equally skilled pilots are involved.

I admit to a fair number of times that I've killed Coyote users with relative ease. However, said pilots using them lost on account of being poor at ESF control and lost track of me, then panicked and attempted to flee. Coyotes, of course, are not the least bit useful when pointed away from an enemy. However, if the Coyote user has an enemy ESF facing him or even remotely in his sights, they are guaranteed those hits. The only hope for a Rotary user is to hope he can out DPS the missiles by not missing. Literally "not missing" being the most reliable counter to a weapon that only requires a pinch of it to be effective.

Making comparisons between air combat and infantry combat may sound reasonable, but you don't face 5 minute respawn timers and at the expense of resources. Not to mention numerous other factors that also tie into air combat that aren't issues for infantry.

I believe the issue with this is that people know they are effective against air, but to have them also capable of doing anything significant to infantry is over the top. It just seems silly that they've added Coyotes to offset some of the aim required to hit good pilots, but have inadvertently created mediocre rocket pods that can also tear up air. Thus Hornets, the supposed A2G addition, remain largely unused.
    • Up x 1
  5. Morticai

IT's also becoming the norm for MMO income models. A few people are sticking to the prehistoric pay-to-play models, but they're unwittingly limiting their most marketable asset in doing so - actual unrestricted gameplay. Both marketing models have their strengths and weaknesses and I'm still stirring over which is actually better. Here though? Free-to-play has become the norm, and in order to assure that the expensive servers remain functional, selling weapons at affordable prices seems like a sound plan. What's best, is that anybody with a card can do it.

As to what you're mentioning, I've got some bad news: those shouldn't be caveats. If anything, that's actually somewhat revealing to your perspective of the game, and how entirely incorrect it really is. This game was never advertised as an exclusive air simulator, and in case the several other posters before me didn't hammer it in, I'll provide another swing towards the nail. This isn't an air-combat simulator. It's actually a combined-arms game, in which the mixed forces of infantry, armor and air all work in a unified effort to secure territories. It should go further than that, but it doesn't...but it sure as all getout isn't an experience exclusive to pilots.

If you feel that any of those are genuine caveats, then you shouldn't be playing this game or recommending it to people who think that's a problem...because you're inviting the wrong crowd. You should be sending them to World of Planes, where they don't have to worry about that sort of stuff.

Meanwhile, the people who are pursuing a combined-arms game can continue to flock here and provide the financial support that they have been for almost a year and a half now. A lot of those people are still here, I'm still here and we're all maintaining the game alongside our realistic understanding to what it always will be because contrary to your statements, it's still alive and well using the plan you think is doomed for failure.
  6. Hewter

Nothing changed...the known pilots still dominate the air the exact same way.They might be killed here and there by bad pilots occasionally but the good ones still fly nonstop and the bad ones are more time waiting for resources than flying. Sorry guys....if you are bad pilots and use coyotes , you are going to be bad for longer, only if you start playing with nosegun alone and practicing aim will you get good some day.There is not easy way in the air..if you want something easy , go max or tank
  7. treeHamster

Just as a note for you noobs that have little to no common sense. You do know that Coyotes are LOCK-ONS and we already have an ANTI Lock-on tool. For those of the slow wits out there that don't know how to count on their fingers or spell their name, that tool is the Flare.

Flares DO work against Coyotes. You have to be fast but I can confirm that they DO break the lock and as long as you're already moving, the missiles will miss. If you're hovering and not moving, then they will hit because Flares just revert the missiles to a dumbfire using the current trajectory (in other words, they stop tracking but keep going in the same direction they had been right before the lock was broken).

Borsk tried to use them on me Saturday (I had NO idea what he was doing not shooting at me and spinning in the air, until I saw the rockets come out and got the warning). When I saw the rockets start to come to me and got the lock-on warning, I dumped Flares, and hit the v-thrusters (we were both in the lame hover battle). The rockets just went right on past me without even using the AB v-thrust (I used spacebar, not shift, to v-thrust out).
  8. Silkensmooth

So by your argument rocket pods and shotguns and tank splash all should never have been nerfed. Libs shouldn't have been nerfed. Zoe max shouldn't have been nerfed. Scat max shouldn't have been nerfed. Rotaries shouldn't have been nerfed over and over.

Those were caveats before. I would say, PS2 is great, but tanks are ridiculous, one shot can kill 10 people. PS2 is great but shotguns are just stupid. PS2 is great but libs just farm us.

Now i dont have to tell them about those things because they have all been adjusted.

Combined arms doesnt mean CHEEZE. Just saying that its a combined arms game to explain away cheeze doesnt make sense.

People have been using these arguments to try to justify all kinds of cheeze.

There shouldn't be any cheeze at all.
  9. Pat22

Breaking news:
    Pilots complaining that they're getting new and powerful weapons and buffs.

In other news: Light Assaults are still getting indirectly nerfed at almost every patch.

TLDR Give Coyote missiles to LAs as shoulder-mounted rocket launchers, fly gods obviously don't want them.
  10. Silkensmooth

I don't have a problem with coyotes. Just cheeze in general and the assumption that it is somehow a good financial strategy to introduce noob tubes. I disagree with that assumption. i think that if you make a game without any cheeze at all then the players will come.

And it isnt like there isnt a consensus amoung the players as to what is cheeze. Mana AV turrets, skyguard, lock-on launchers, AI mines, max units, etc.

Most people who defend the cheeze dont even try to deny that its cheeze, they just try to defend it by some circular nonsensical argument like, "its doing its job", or "its a combined arms game". These people are not interested in cultivating a competitive atmosphere.
  11. Frosty The Pyro

according to the pilots I have seen/talked to/read about, certed afterburners > coyote for A2A work if both pilots are good.
  12. AssaultPig

what, you mean A2A fights present less of a barrier to new players who haven't mastered a fairly obscure set of air maneuvers?

man, how terrible