Have Coyote Missiles taken away the prestige of winning a2a fights?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AirborneCarrot, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Silkensmooth

You act as though the so called 'ace' pilots never had to learn to fly. Like we never got stomped. We did. At least i know i did. I got stomped every time, but i never ever wanted some cheap tool to even things out. You know what evens things out? Practice.

I put in the hard work and time to be good and you think it should be free for you? You dont want to work. You dont strive to be the best.

It has nothing to do with being elitist. The air game was a place where you could truly test your skills, and the better more skilled pilot won every time. That is how i want the game to be. I want to win because im better and lose because im not. Nothing else should EVER come into play.

People who think like this are the cause of the decline of western civilization. Have some self esteem and go out there and compete. Stop zerging and relying on cheese and do your best to be the best. Otherwise you are weak and pathetic and you can use all your cheese and i will still kill you with ease.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hatesphere

yes, people who want to have a different brand of fun then you in a VIDEO GAME are the cause of the decline of western civilization. you should wright a paper on that :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  3. Silkensmooth

People who dont care to try and who want everything handed to them is what is wrong with westerners. And why would you even want EZ mode kills? It makes no sense. The entirety of the fun in this game, or any pvp game for that matter, is the competition.

Zerging facerolling things is neither challenging nor fun.

So yes mindless milling masses are killing this country. Stop being sheep. Have some pride in what you do. Don't expect someone to always make things 'fair' for your lack of commitment and effort. Strive to be the best, dont settle for mediocrity. Stop trying to make everything average. Be better.
  4. Hatesphere

again, go wright a paper on that so everyone can laugh at you. you can call it "how people who play video games ruined the west" its completely irreverent to any form of game balance.
  5. LT_Latency

It's simply to bring a little balance between the people that play 80 hours a week and those that play 10 hours a week.

There are simply more people who play 10 hours a week then 80 hours a week. They need to be able to have fun as well.
    • Up x 2
  6. Morticai

You're right. We don't deserve new players flocking in to make up for the occasional departure of a veteran. What we need is an established line of superiority, because thems makes the big bucks and promotes da' game survivabilities.

What makes your point so silly is that you've intentionally overlooked a flaw in your real-world example that mirrors your point with a glaring and frightening irony - the western world is suffering because people aren't leaving their jobs near or at the age of retirement, keeping employment opportunities severely limited. In this case? Ace pilots are hording the skies, killing the interest of newer players before they even have a chance to fly. What you're promoting would restrict people from getting involved and contributing, and soon enough employment opportunities (or for PS2, marketability) plummets, and we lose a substantial portion of potential income.

We want income, and while you might say that you'll 'make up for it', I'm sorry bud, but you've already paid for that rotary. Unless you plan on opening thirty more accounts to repurchase it thirty times again on a weekly schedule, you've done nothing but suggest a sinking market plan....and a clear case of opportunity cost.

What SOE has given, is the precise measure needed to make up for what yo as a veteran cannot provide in the same power as new players - purchasing power through the almighty dollar. It also creates a fun gaming environment for the new players, who in turn will learn to overcome and adapt to the weapons they've used and will soon be faced against. They've not only done what you no longer can, they've also done what you won't - they've adapted.

So complain as much as you want, but realize that in the end, the most valuable dollar comes from a newer player...so they really should be allowed to enjoy the game.
    • Up x 3
  7. TTex11

Since others have already had a go at most of what you said I'll just toss my own two cents in.

Nothing else should ever come into play huh? Being jumped by superior numbers? Being caught by a surprise ambush? Someone bent on removing you from the air and just ramming you in that 'I'll take him with me' mindset? So NONE of those should factor in at all in the chaotic fight that is Planetside 2? All of these factors are something that people on foot and in ground vehicles have to deal with, but pilots should be exempt?

Ladies and gentlemen, the defense rests. I don't even have to say a thing, do I? Just read it for yourself and see.This is just further evidence of how much of a different game many of us 'mediocre' pilots are playing than many of the so called 'elite' crowd. Luckily ours if finally getting attention rather than the vocal minority.

This is the way things are now. Quit trying to force your exclusive and now dying play style on the rest of us. Evolve or die.
    • Up x 2
  8. umbrellapower

I'm surprised most people aren't aware of how these things work. Coyotes are blatantly OP, yes, but they won't be for too long (too as a wild estimate of a few weeks to a year). Until SOE hits that Coyote sales quota, they'll remain in their current state. So you can either cheese them as hard as you can, or sit there and whine about it.

This is probably the most casual FPS I have ever played. More people should realize that this game caters to the worst FPS player possible. You don't have to be good at shooters to be good at PS2. This isn't a slight against the developers, it's just their strategy which works for a F2P game. The more you take this into account, the less you'll be bewildered at why the devs do what they do.
    • Up x 1
  9. Kwyjibo

This.

And to add to that thought, PS2 is a game that falls flat if thousands of people aren't playing it, so any ideas about making the game more hardcore don't hold up when you consider how important casuals are to the game mechanics. There are loads of hardcore games out there that don't require more than a handful of people in a server to function anyway.
  10. Gorganov

The thing is, a really good pilot can just spam these and win without touching their nose gun. It's extremely lame. They could easily win with the nose gun, but at least there was some chance at dodging the bullets... They should be secondary to the nosegun, not spammable like they are currently. Other than that I think they are fine; fuel tanks are still a viable option.
  11. treeHamster

I finally certed them and gave them a serious go and MAN are they too easy to use. Leading is trivial with them and you can be a LOT further away than with rocket pods and still manage to land hits.

They're not great at AI or A2G but they are doable especially against non-flak armored targets.
  12. Tentakewls

Lol...prestige...yeah ummm...please stop watching Top Gun, noone cares how well you can drive in the sky.
    • Up x 1
  13. Silkensmooth

All you have done is eloquently explain why a cash shop is a horrible idea for a game as good as PS2, and i quite agree with you.

What gives a game survivability is long term goals. Having everything EZ mode is boring and offers no replay value.

Word of mouth is huge in these types of games. Building a game that holds gamers concerns above monetary concerns will be successful, provided that its good of course. It will have a long life if it puts gamers first. This cash shop model is only good for soaking people initially and then making them feel dirty afterward.

You shouldn't have to add caveats when you tell people about a game. I shouldn't have to say 'it's a great game really fun, well except for the constant flak spam and the constant lock-on spam and mana turrets are pretty nuts and skyguard is ridiculous, and... Well they will fix all that, and other than that its pretty good. Oh and max suits are pretty lame too. Why should i have to add all of those exceptions?

You want to push out all of the old players who have memberships and pay them every month for new players who might spend 30 dollars on a lock on a skyguard and a mana turret and then quit the game because there is no challenge? Sound business plan.
  14. Silkensmooth

You want to make things easier for new players? How about you fix flak and lock ons which are the most consistent killers of all ESF and especially new pilots.

Ask new pilots what they resent more, dying to ACE pilots, or dying to invisible guys on the ground while they attempt to fight against said ACE pilots.

Fix the VR so that its doesnt have that weird fading landscape.

Make a seperate 'battle island', where ESF pilots can duel each other and endlessly pull ESF so that new pilots can practice actually fighting without having to spend 15 mins waiting on a timer and an hour waiting on resources which is imo a ridiculous circumstance in the first place.

There are lots of ways to help new players without dumbing the game down.
  15. Bobby Shaftoe

Which is quite funny really, since the only difference between PS1 and PS2 'fights' in the air is the unrestricted movement in 3 axis.

Almost everyone thought PS1 air mechanics (aka hoverfights) were by far the weakest part of that game, yet everyone jizzes themselves over PS2s.

Dogfights play out almost identically, PS1 someone jumped you, you did a powerslide with your AB to turn on them, PS2 someone jumps you, you do the RM to turn on them. Note, there is ONE move in either game, you either know it or you get shot down, it's very simple.

I doubt these 'Ace honourable pilots' constitute more than 0.1% of the games flying population, the rest are airchavs, farmers, gankers, opportunists and zergers. There certainly aren't any on Miller.
    • Up x 1
  16. SystemAddict

I hear there's this game called "war of warplanes"

You can go play it, I'm going to shoot down airplanes with coyotes and laugh about how you could've killed me if only. . . . if only
  17. Epic High Five

Nobody wants to be elite here man, we have no interest in sky e-honor or whatever, we want to shoot you down because you're killing all our troops and friendly air. If that means ramming you or using Coyotes then so be it. My Ramcat loadout gets a lot of use, and a salvo of Coyotes followed immediately by a bunch of Airhammer shots does well to keep my squad's gal in the sky, which is my only concern. If it was just a gentlemen's club where you all hung out at fight ceiling and dueled all day then you'd be left alone.

Fact is that you don't hate cheese, you just don't like the kind of cheese you don't like to use. Do you tap fire an AA rotary at ground troops to level the playing field for them like you're expecting others to do for you?
  18. vsae

OP I feel for you, though inevitably this thing had to happen. You see, it is an air shotgun. Same as the cheap ground weapon reference it is too allowing to gain supremacy at close range. It is hard to counter shotgun at tower fights, and it must be so. This is the same we had before airhammer nerf actually, only now there are lots of them and they're called coyotes.

Evolve or perish.
  19. Corewin

You're insane if you think the old Air Hammer was as good as the current Coyotes. lol buuuuut... anywho...

No one is requesting that Coyotes be removed, just tweaked again. The irony is that when they were first released, it was generally agreed that they were pretty useless. A buff was indeed needed. However, it is now apparent that they went a bit over the top in increasing acceleration and rate of fire. Dialing those back a bit, makes for a weapon that supplements an ESFs nose gun, while not replacing it. The original idea was that a pilot could still reliably dodge them if he had enough AB fuel to juke, but as of right now, you cannot avoid them inside of 300-400m. Considering 0-400m is the usual range at which all ESF vs ESF combat takes place, it tends to become increasingly obvious that there is a problem.
  20. vsae

It was too good. Not the range I agree, but the damage output was insane.
    Now, coyotes used at 300-400 meters? Are you hovering still? You can lead with them, but only if pilot is either newbie or flies in roughly straight line. The damage output, uh, it is not bad, though if you just hit all mag with nosegun jumping an unsuspecting target you will have much more chance of the opponent not even having a chance to retaliate.
    For me nothing has changed after the coyotes introduced. In 1v1 fights against the ESF Aces I still lose with their half HP left no matter what weapon I use, if we saw eachother at the same time. The only thing changed is that Aces are now dying too quickly from numerous coyote equipped ESF, while before people like Quadron could take head on 2 or more ESFs and come out on top. No matter how good I am at the ground with my mlg aim or positioning skillz I will die from two noobies that jump me with shotguns and I will probably take one with me though. That is all.

Sidenote:
    And for the most common complaint I hear that coyotes are OP against infantry, LOL. It requires an entire mag to down a heavy and you have to be really close, because reticle is meh, while you can easily kill him with regular pods just as easy and have ammo left for 2 more infantry.