Post your mouse, mouse sensitivity, and aiming tricks! [Shameless help how do I get good at this gam

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Serial-VS

I use Logitech G500 mouse, G510 Keyboard and G930 wireless headset.

4950 DPI, disabled acceleration, raw mouse input, mouse smoothing on, .30 sensitivity, .26 ADS, .24 scoped, .22 vehicle, .29 air.

It is really about keeping everything standard to build "muscle memory" as someone said earlier. You will usually adjust to anything but don't worry about sensitivity as much as having what is comfortable to you. There are usually two types of players, low sensitivity and high sensitivity and these types of players has a lot to do with how you hold your mouse and whether you mostly use wrist movements, to aim, etc... you could actually write a paper on the subject.

All that being said, practice really is what makes you better and learning the layouts of the bases, the terrain, etc. Situational Awareness is extremely important, being able to predict the enemy is also important. You need to be well rounded, use your brain, play smart and remember the other player processes information just like you do and use that to your advantage, play with the other guy in mind.. what would he do... where would he go? Where will he take cover if fired upon from X angle? Well thats a good place for an anti-personnel mine if you're going to ambush him then isn't it?

Having everything in order on the hardware and connection side is one of the top things too because if you are stuttering or lagging then chances are you are going to lose no matter how good you are.

EDIT: Windows sensitivity 6/12
    • Up x 1
  2. Gheeta

1. 800dpi is more than you are ever going to need, super high DPI is used to scam people in to buying pointless numbers
    2. acceptable mouses https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54079711/mouseranking.png
    3. get a proper mouse pad
    4. having super high sensitivity is common mistake for bad players
    5. just play the game and concentrate at aiming well, it's all about practice
    6. Oh and wireless mouse is not acceptable

More PS2 specific stuff:

- Always keep moving, standing still simply isn't viable
    - Lean to look at your minimap all the time
    - Learn to control your recoil
  3. Imposer

I have the BF4 edition of the Taipan, got it about half off new on ebay. Great mouse, I have it on full 8200 dpi with 0.3 hip fire sensitivity and 0.2 ADS. Not sure what I have for vehicles but I do usually turn down the dpi when I get in the tank. Windows Sensitivity is default. Aiming Tricks? I don't know, aim for the head and control your recoil. I don't really know any tricks for it.
  4. furrywaffle

Yeah, mouse form is the important thing. Also, I forgot to mention to lower graphics to the absolute minimum. Make PS2 look like cs 1.6 if possible.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gustavo M

That won't be a problem, then.

@Other posts: Can't really read and reply to each of you right now. I'll do it tomorrow.
  6. JorgeSarcos

[IMG]
    Corsair M60 Full weighted.

For normal infantry play i use 800dpi, Turrets, Flying or Tanking 1200dpi and Sniper button is 100dpi.

I always aim for the chest since the second shot will always/mostly go to the head due to the recoil, i rarely aim for the head directly unless its long range shots.
  7. furrywaffle

@gustavo toplel.jpg
  8. soeguud

Lead shots on moving targets by a body length as even with 32ms ping, SOE server and by extension, SOE hates you.
  9. Iridar51

Don't. Deathadder is not worth it.
  10. Babylon Rocker

Any reason behind it? im using a deathadder for years now and had never any problems with it whatsoever.
  11. Iridar51

I've had for a couple of days, then I got my money back. It's not a particularly bad mouse, it's quite good, actually. Buttons are a bit sluggy, but that's just my impression.
    The main reason I don't recommend using deathadder is because it's not worth its price. You can get equally good mouse for 1/3rd of deathadder's cost.
  12. maudibe

The gaming mouse helps slightly cause you can hit a button on it and get 3 different sensitivitys without going into the mouse sensitivy section of the game.
    I use a $10 one : E-3lue E-Blue Cobra II EMS151BK High Presion with Side Control 6D 400/800/1600DPI Usb LED Gaming Mouse/mice English...

seems to work well for me. If i am not turning fast enough to counter an opponent i can make more sensitive with a click.

Other that that you have to go into the overall mouse sensitivity section and set the aiming sensitivity etc until you feel comfortable with the set up. Practice reset with changes and practice again eventually you will get it set so you can use it more effectively.
  13. Nibato

Logitech G500, 2000 DPI, 0.316809 sensitivity (for everything in ps2), no acceleration/smoothing. It takes my mouse 3.46cm of movement to complete a 360 degree turn in-game.

Play around with your sensitivity until you find something you're comfortable with. If you overcompensate the lead for your targets, lower it. If you can't keep up with your targets, raise it.

After a few days of playing with it, I recommend you leave it alone and never touch it again unless you have to. If you constantly change your sensitivity, it becomes extremely difficult to build any muscle memory. I've been using the same sensitivity since the days of quake 2.

Good aim alone will only get you so far in planetside though. Even more important then good aim, in my opinion, is good situational awareness. This isn't comprehensive, but here's a few general tips:
    • Always be aware of your surroundings, pay attention to what's happening to your forces, and what the enemy is doing.
    • Don't be afraid to retreat from an unfavorable situation, and actively seek out opportunities that give you an advantage against your enemy.
    • When you die (and you will), ask yourself if there's anything you could have done different to avoid it. Try to remind yourself not to repeat the same mistakes.
    • Try to always pre-plan an escape route, especially when in vehicles. Never assume the friendly zerg "has your back."
    • If you're outpopped and being spawn camped, try redeploying to a more favorable fight. You generally aren't able to accomplish much if there's fifty enemy tanks watching the spawn room doors.
    Edit: If you already have a sensitivity that you're comfortable with from another game, see if you are able to use http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/ to figure out what it would be in planetside 2.
  14. Church41349

Razor Naga at 1800 dpi. I got it last week and before that I normaly would go around a k/d of 1 or lower and since I started useing it instead of my old mouse I havent logged of without atleast a a 1.5 and the highest being 3.1. It made a huge difference and before that I was just useing a cheap dell mouse
  15. ST4LK3R

Settings
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Mouse
    [IMG]

I use the keys on the mouse for flying (pitch up/down roll left/right) and communication.

My second choice would be 'Razer Deathadder'. I'm addicted to thumb buttons that's why I'm stuck with Naga.

Naga is not as terrible as most people are ******** on. Bad craftsman blames his tools.
  16. Lonny198

Razer Mamba
    400Dpi
    0.19 Mouse sens
    0.23 zoomed/aimed
    Direct Input
  17. Kunavi

Gheeta, the only points I can agree with you on are 3 and 5. The rest is not what I've seen considering my FPS experience and the various accessories I've used, ever since Half-Life 1 up to BF3 and PS2. You're telling him what he "Needs" though, not what he should "Want" if he'd like to push his performance a little more(And by that, I mean there definitely is an improvement). Both persons with whom we often play PS2(And I know IRL) had never touched an FPS; After spending 1 month in PS2 with stock accessories they both went for proper gaming accessories and they both saw noticeable improvements. During that month they would visit and we'd play PS2 in the same room(Still do, fun) so they had it all laid out for them to compare in practice, not theory. But sure go ahead and tell a lot of people that getting the best won't cater to their competitive MMOFPS needs. As I mentioned it's all up to the OP to judge in the end. I don't mean to step on your lawn.

Ah, also forgot to mention I haven't enabled smoothing or RMI in PS2. For some odd reason none of those seem to work properly if at all, smoothing in particular seems to make things worse for me though.
  18. ManyHats

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with this one. Keybinds, mice, and gaming keyboards are kind of a personal obsession for me. I probably buy at least one gaming mouse a month, and have done for a few years now. Wrote my own software for heat-maps, stuff like that. I'll give some random points below.

General Advice
    1. Yes, anything tagged 'gaming' is overpriced. However, a good gaming mouse/mat/keyboard combo that is set-up properly will feel... natural. You won't notice how good it's working, because you'll be too busy kill-streaking to care. When you go back to anything else, it will feel horrible. You will wonder how the hell you ever aimed with the old setup.
    2. A good setup will not make you a good player automatically. A bad setup WILL hold you back.
    3. If you're left-handed (I am), forget it. Learn to mouse right handed. This opens up way more choices of viable gaming mice. I did (after 20 years of left-handed mousing), and I have never looked back.
    4. For the love of god, buy yourself a good hard mouse mat. If you have $70 to spend; split it 50/50 on the mat and the mouse. It DOES matter. If you only have $35, buy the mat and not the mouse.
    5. It's all personal taste, but don't buy ANY mouse that hasn't made it onto a list of mice with flawless sensors. (just google 'flawless sensor mouse list'). Avoid laser mice like the plague; go optical, go 800 dpi, and don't look back. The importance of a good, flawless optical sensor cannot but understated.
    More Specific Advice
    1. Seriously, 800dpi opticals are where it's at. Spend time in VR setting up your sensitivities. I'd recommend spending at least two play sessions worth of time on it. Google videos for help; there are many.
    2. Use different sens for ADS and hipfire. For ADS, you want to be pixel-perfect; for hipfire, you want to be able to spin round and catch the guy who ran past / through you.
    3. Don't get over-excited about the mice with a zillion buttons. In the heat of combat, you WILL press the wrong damn button right when it matters most. Some extra buttons help, but not too many.
    4. Map the buttons that are life or death FIRST. If you run out of ammo a lot, you'll want pistol or knife handy; if you're a HA or a INF, the ability key gets used a lot, and also means life or death; and so on.
    5. When you've changed your map, take time to get used it; the perfect map takes trial, error, blood, sweat and tears, but it is worth it - I know I have a real advantage over people using a two button mouse.

Mice Of Mention (or 'mice I've been using for P2 lately')
    • Razer Naga Hex. good sensor, good button placement. solid choice.
    • Logitech G602. Good balance of extra buttons to placement. contender.
    • Roccat Pyra, Kova+, Kone Pure Optical damn fine sensors, lighter and smaller, and the easykey can be used for some very fast switching if you take the time to set it up. Cheap too).
    • Logitech G600 too many buttons, crap sensor. Great for themepark MMO's though.
    • Razer DeathAdder a legend for a reason. Needs more buttons.
    • Coolermaster CM30 - like a deathadder, but cheaper and suited to a smaller-handed gamer.

Think I'm going over the top with all this? Watch the videos of top players on youtube; notice how OFTEN and how FAST AND SMOOTHLY they switch weapons/tools/medpacks.

As a HA, I can activate a shield, chuck a nade, dump a mag, switch to pistol and dump the pistol mag, run round a corner, switch to heals, pop the heal, reload both guns and then switch the shield back on without ever taking a finger off the forward / backward / left / right / sprint / crouch / jump keys
  19. VanuZuma

[IMG]
    This bad boy

Love this freaking mouse so far, its customizable and feels great to game with. The weight took a day of getting used to, but overall makes you more accurate/
    [IMG]
  20. Hatesphere

That's what i picked up for 40$ on boxing day to replace my dead death adder (damn thing was randomly scrolling and double clicking), love it but the sensor can be a bit fickle (it really doesn't like it if you lift off the pad at all for me, and I cant have my fan on my desk anymore because it picks up the slight vibration) overall its a very comfortable mouse if you use a claw grip, I wouldn't recommend it for palm grip unless you have smaller hands. I freak en love the pinky rest and adjustable thumb angle, took a bit to get it all ligned up, but now it is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used.