Overall do you think prowler or vanguard is more powerful tank?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ChairmanMao, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ChairmanMao

In general, what do you think is better for most engagement?

Not interested in stupid magrider..
  2. SenEvason

That's a very vague question. The number of different engagements that tanks can get into is ridiculous.
  3. Nerd Mode

Prowler doesn't even factor in anymore. The only real discussion is: Which is the best MBT, Vanguard or Magrider?
    • Up x 3
  4. ChairmanMao

Then why do I always here TR players say that a prowler is a upgraded lightning and they only pull lightning when prowler is on cooldown?

Then I hear NC say they only pull Vanguard when lightning on cooldown..because vanny is slow and ponderous.

That would make it seem prowler is best overall?
    • Up x 2
  5. drNovikov

Prowler is far better, in my opinion. It is faster. Also, magriders are very mobile, they are not stupid. You can climb walls and strafe and afterburn.
    • Up x 3
  6. Jeslis

Pre Lockdown velocity nerf, I would have said prowler in most situations.

Now that a vanguard can dodge incoming lockdown shots from prowlers.. the vanguard is now ahead.

I do however do very well with the magrider.. but you don't care about that :p
  7. Gav7x

Definetly the prowler, the DPS of that thing is utterly ridiculous, specially in point and click adventure mode
    • Up x 3
  8. Pikachu

Whatever tank I use is the weakest. :oops:
    • Up x 3
  9. Syrathin

Prowler, The Vanguard is better against tanks after you've dumped a ton of certs into it but if we're talking stock tanks or little investment the prowler is the best. Get a good gunner and toss a halberd on a prowler you'll be wrecking face.
    • Up x 2
  10. lNeBl

Poor magrider... Not even included in these debates.
    • Up x 1
  11. Tommyp2006

The Prowler is better vs infantry, the Vanguard is better vs armor.
    • Up x 6
  12. LT_Latency

I think the powerler is better at fighting infantry while the vanguard is better at fight tanks.
    • Up x 3
  13. Gigarayzor

Prowlers are the best at farming infantry or taking out stationary targets really quickly (base turrets/deployed sunderers.) Vanguards are undisputed kings of beating other tanks. You're right to not consider magriders. They're sometimes useful in climbing hills that other tanks would have trouble reaching, but they really don't fill the roll of a main battle tank.
  14. The Shermanator

The comparison between the Prowler and Vanguard is similar to the comparison between the M4 Sherman and any of the German 'big cats' of the Second World War.

To the outside viewer, the Vanguard will look better on paper. Like the German 'big cats,' the Panther and Tiger, it had superior characteristics pertinent to the tank joust. And when people ask you to compare tanks, they almost always mean in the context of a direct duel or jousting scenario. In this respect, the gun and armor of the Vanguard put it at an advantage against the Prowler when you take into account the shield.

The Prowler, however, like the antiquated Sherman, is designed not for tank jousts, but to win battles. This means having a combination of traits that allows it to fit within the framework of a combined arms stratagem, rather than attempting to be an island unto itself. In a battlefield where other weapon systems are in place with the specific design and function of killing tanks, the Prowler fills the role of a breakthrough and exploitation vehicle. Its dual shot cannon is undoubtedly superior against infantry, and its anchor mode allows it to hold absolute dominion over open terrain which the vanguard cannot boast.

The Prowler is the superior vehicle. It is a tank. The Vanguard is a tank that tries to be a tank destroyer when other systems exist that are far better at destroying tanks. Infantry, liberators, and ESFs are all far more efficient at killing ground vehicles and other vehicles, like 'battle bus' configured Sunderers and AP lightnings, are very competitive in the role.

Take the Vanguard shield away, and it has absolutely nothing going for it. Tanks as a whole need a redesign, bad.
    • Up x 2
  15. Taemien

This is a pretty good assessment actually. The Vanguard is the undisputed king at tank vs tank fights. But do you really want to pull that thing to do that? Lightnings, Heavies, and even AV turrets are much more agile in their uses than a Vanguard.

This doesn't make the Vanguard useless however. The Vanguard isn't great at killing infantry, but the Vanguard MUST be dealt with by the opponent. An ignored Vanguard is one that will quite literally decimate your entire force. It can kill a deployed sundy faster than most other things (it is an anti-tank and sundy's are wannabe tanks), it can destroy base defenses (turrets) rather quickly, and of course once it gets in a spot it will destroy other tanks. So with that being said. In MMO terms, the Vanguard is a TANK. As in it will hold attention and soak damage. This is why it needs its shield, it will be the focus of attacks over all else. But there's its weakness, it requires a large force to be successful. It needs to tank for peeps so they don't get targeted instead.

So if you want to be the one to take it for the team and soak damage, use the Vanguard. If you need a heavier lightning, and wish to demolish infantry, use the Prowler.
  16. The Shermanator

Thank you, Taemien. Though, I do tend to take issue with the statement that the Vanguard is the absolute king of tank-on-tank. At close range, yes. It will rarely lose. But in a long range slug-fest, like the northern fields of Indar or the more expansive stretches of Esamir, its poor rate of fire and lack of mobility leaves it quite inept.
    • Up x 2
  17. Blarg20011

0 certs? probably Prowler, max certs? about 50/50, but I would say Vanguard.
  18. GhostAvatar

Vehicle killing = Vanguard
    Infantry farming = Prowler
    Pegging ESFs = Vanguard
    Killing Libs = Lockdown Prowler

That covers most things.
    • Up x 1
  19. mr.hanky

I'm NC but I love the prowler. That high rate of fire, double guns, and extra speed really appeal to my play style.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kazet

What gun does prowler use to be "king" of infantry farming ? I mean HE is going to put you at a big disadvantage.