Seriously what is WRONG??

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by VanuZuma, Jan 20, 2014.

1. VanuZuma

Im getting vary frustrated with Planetside to the point where im gonna force myself to quit playing for awhile and come back later and hope its all magically fixed. Ive ruled out there being any issue with my system, but for some reason the game is running worse than ever for me.

I have even done tests on multiple rigs to see how my results would vary and this just makes things more confusing and frustrating.

Below is one of the test rigs and the performance I get using test factory system. All systems used nvidia drivers 331.82. Also used 60HZ monitor with vsync on for all 3 tests. Same Nvidia control panel settings and same exact game settings as well.

Factory ASUS computer-------------------------min 45 max 60 average 50-55 vary smooth
    I7 3770
    16gb of ram
    stock asus mobo
    1TB HDD
    threw in my gtx 660ti
    and a 650 watt psu

Running the game on ULTRA with smoothing turned on the game runs perfect. Rarely does it go below 60fps and when it does it still feels vary smooth. I was impressed how consistent the FPS was right around 60. Id say lowest it went was 45ish. So I wanted to test another PC to again see how it compared.

Factory AMD machine built by Asus--------------min 35 max 60 average 45-50 smooth
    AMD A8 5500
    8gb of ram
    stock asus mobo
    1TB HDD
    GTX 660ti
    650 watt psu

Game runs smooth until you get into a big fight, this is due to the weaker CPU of course. Never got any real stuttering or glitchy feelings while playing with smoothing on. Just a noticeable FPS drop with a lot going on. Lowest was around 35fps still vary playable.

So thats great right? 2 systems that play the game well enough. So I fire up my main gaming computer and am totally confused as to why its so different, and not better than these "stockish" comps.

Here is my main gaming rig

Built myself main computer------------------------------min 45 max 60 average 50-60 jittery, stuttery, feels like crap
    Asus Z77 mobo
    I7 3770k OC to 4.4ghz currently
    SLI GTX 680s
    Samsung 250GB SSD (where game is installed)
    16gb Corsair dominator memory (1866)
    1200 watt corsair gold psu

Now before people start saying turn off SLI you idiot I ran my comparison test with SLI disabled. I have also turned off all overclocking to see if that was the issue with no change in results. The thing that makes no sense is that with better components and a better GPU the game stutters at times, FPS fluctuates all the time dipping below 60 frequently. The game just seems as if its struggling to run, or its always loading assets from the SSD. Now obviously this computer is vary similar to the first one, but one has high end components while the other one doesn't. Also a 680 is faster than a 660ti, so why is it seeming to struggle to maintain 60fps when it should easily be capable of this? This all makes me think maybe there is an issue with my hardware.

So I load up Metro last light (beast of a game crippling most high end computers) enable my SLI and everything works flawlessly. Always maintain 60fps and could push more if I was using my 120hz monitor. Same goes for Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Farcry 3, and really all my games.

So really what the hell is the issue here? If PS2 works so well on a system with similar parts, then why would I have any issues on my rig? I really wanna know if i'm missing something here. Its beyond me and I feel like I know quite a bit about hardware and pc's in general. But i'm sincerely wanting the really smart guys to make sense of this. I'm lost and without any ideas at this point. I hate that this one game running poorly is making me feel like my something is wrong with my PC when i'm sure there really isnt.

HEEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!
  2. starlinvf

Disable forced Vsync (in-game and in-driver) set the smoothing to 59FPS. I've been experimenting with some settings, but currently this combination seem to yield the most frame rate stability. There is still some minor tearing if you turn fast, but its not as distracting as sudden FPS drops.
  3. Ranari

I know this is a bit of work involved, but have you tried completely removing PS2 and reinstalling it? I've heard that working wonders before.

Other silly questions that seem silly, but do matter:

-When you built your system, you did a complete reinstall of Windows, right?
    -Have you attempted taking one of the 680's out and testing it that way.
    -How much memory is allocated to the iGPU? I doubt this is any issue, but worth asking.
    -Is that 2x or 4x sticks of memory to make 16gb?
    -Any PS2 mods installed? (Are there even PS2 mods?)
  4. Sliced

Virus scan and blah blah
    Delete useroptions
    Turn off SLI (I know you said you have already)
    In Nvidia CP set max CPU frame = 1
    Updated bios + drivers?
    Last time you formatted the comp? Could be OS rot.

There are people who have very weird FPS for no reason, and there are so many factors and ways to fix it. It just takes forever to find the one for you. So try everything, you'll eventually hit.
  5. VanuZuma

Today im gonna take out both 680's and put in the 660ti to see what that does if anything. Also its two 8gb sticks to make up the 16gb. I normally have 32gb installed but was trying to get the comp similar to the first test comp. IGPU is disabled in bios.

As far as reinstalling windows I have thought about doing that. I dont see how it could really be the issue since its essentially just the OS on that HDD and I never install programs there. But if all else fails I guess ill try that too.

PS2 was just recently installed on a new samsung SSD I got. So its fresh so to speak.
  6. user101

It took me like forever to get the GTX-470 to work set everything for performance on the video card. Never Never Never use any quality settings....!
  7. noobindo

1. Try disable HyperThreading.
    2. Disable smoothing in options.
    If nothing help - wait another patch.

There no problems with your hardware. All other games works fone, so problem in PS2.
    If you run it in window mode, you'll see game version 0.56. PTS version 0.700
    Technically game in beta stage. Metro 2033, Assasin, Battlefield all use the time-tested engines. PS2 use its own, completely new.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forge_Light_Engine
    Maybe game will run better when it reach version 1.0
    I hope....
  8. mehmeh

could it be that the setup is too fast?
    and enters sleep state because of being idle.
    and is idle because it wait's for the sync to flip buffer to display on a sluggish 60Hz LCD?
  9. BlackDove

It's the game dude, you can't fix it. People have tried everything, and it does run terribly. On a single GPU, it shouldn't stutter the way it does, it shouldn't lag horribly and desync, but it does, the menu's shouldn't be power viruses, but they are.

And please don't listen to these people saying "disable Vsync".

Just make sure your maxfps is limited to something above your refresh rate, but not insanely high, use adaptive Vsync with triple buffering. Your GPU is more than capable of that.
  10. muoni

hey hey guy with the problem..... my friend had the same problem on his laptop... i have a feeling its your operating system thats causing the lag... its capping the ammount of ram or something that the game can use.. i was able too fix it for him... messege me and i will try my best too help you out..