Im tired of crappy mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Reaper, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Reaper

Why on earth when you crash do you loose your max, I had 2 instances today when i crashed just after pulling a max and came back ingame unable to pull another one because of the ****** resource system. When our characters get disconnected we really need to be able to log back in within a grace period and still have the same positioning on the map, our vehicles and the loadout we had. This is just poor programing by the devs and another reason this game feels cheap to me
    • Up x 12
  2. NC_agent00kevin

Lost a Lib earlier to a CTD. Luckily I had been in it for a while and earned my resources back.
    • Up x 1
  3. Nerovox

Hmm with all the other crappy mechanic I thought that this one was a feature..
  4. Yuukikun

Oh noes you have to wait a whole 10 mins for your easy mode suit :eek:
    • Up x 3
  5. Pingonaut

Why? Because loose is what your shoe tie is, and lose is what happens when you're trying to win an alert.
    • Up x 4
  6. Pat22

Hey maybe his MAX suit was loose and that's why he lost it?
    • Up x 2
  7. Pingonaut

I'll bet that's it. I eventually got Velcro and it never happened again.
  8. DevDevBooday

I think whats crappy here is your computer, not the gameplay mechanics....
  9. Lugia3

Forumside being helpful as usual.
    • Up x 13
  10. WyrdHarper

I feel your pain. Game CTD's much more after PU01 and PU02, especially in vehicles for some reason. Cooldown's annoying, but when your faction is only gaining ~10 resources per tick, that resource cost hurts a lot.
    • Up x 4
  11. DeadlyShoe

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Max Crash
    You did it wrong
    • Up x 13
  12. eldarfalcongravtank

does anyone else get disconnected from the server every second day or so? last time i pulled a galaxy for my squad, took off with 11/12, headed towards the frontline when suddenly i get the pop-up telling me i was disconnected. coming back, i get a 15min cooldown on my galo_O
  13. TheStink

Some router/modem hardware will disconnected and reconnected when throttled by a lot of data. Any way to keep eye on your hardware there to see if it that's loosing connection to the internet each time this happens? I remember back in beta some people having disconnects and remember this coming up. It's called throttling, but the throttling most know is when ISP restricts data, This type of throttling is when your connection hardware is bombarded by the games clients and makes it reset and connect to the net again. Another area to look at is the NAT tables in your router. Just some ideas.
  14. JonboyX

Because other options would be exploited. Just some instances:

e.g. Return players where they were in same 'loadout'
    -> Want preserve your vehicle/max when you're about to get ganked? Ctrl-Alt-Del and end process.
    -> Want to lay a base trap? Mass log out then all return in game at the same time.

e.g. ReDeploy someone in same 'loadout'
    -> Don't want to have to run to the next base in your max? As above
    -> Pulled a max and now need to quick travel.
    -> Got caught behind enemy lines and want an escape route

e.g. Refund resources
    -> Pulled a max but now don't need it? Force quit to get resources back.
    -> (others as above).

I'm fairly sure if an exploit can be achieved, someone will do it. And some outfits will do it en masse.
    I can't think of a fair way to do this, but I'm not saying there isn't one out there.
    • Up x 2
  15. Miuku

None of which were a problem in Planetside 1 - if you crashed you continued playing from the same location (unless you died) and your gear, vehicle and everything else was just where you left it.

The fact that you lose your vehicle if you crash is just mind bogglingly absurd. "Oh you have a deployed sunderer, oh you crashed - well there goes the sunderer".

Pulled out a Galaxy? Oh you crashed, have fun waiting 20-30 minutes without certs! Yay, fun game play!
    • Up x 2
  16. Azarga

More like "oh noes, NC will get slaughtered by ESFs for 10 minutes because nobody else is smart enough to pull burster MAX"
    • Up x 1
  17. JonboyX

Nobody bothered in PS1 because you were on a five minute timer at most for any vehicle (not sure about the BFRs mind). Conversely, things like Max units were no where near as powerful in PS1. Low risk, low reward, low cost.

You could balance everything in PS2 to that level, but it'd take a massive reworking of the game.

Also; do you not remember all those dead, "link dead" players you'd run past? iirc also, if you were in an enemy base SOI you got redeployed regardless.

I'm not saying it isn't annoying. It is. I just don't know how you'd stop it being abused. Heck, we have players who used to crash out just to protect an imaginary k/d ...
  18. Miuku

Can you please explain to me how being able to reconnect to your character, continuing where you left off and still have your vehicle is exploitable?

You don't become invulnerable, your vehicles do not become invulnerable, you can't spawn new vehicles, you can't spawn a new Max suit, you can't do anything out of the ordinary - all you get out of it is the possibility of actually coming back to the game with your assets still there instead of spawning at the warp gate.
  19. JonboyX

I don't know. Maybe you're right.
    However, I can think of one way in which it might happen: Does your character actually take damage if your computer isn't "there" to apply it to your character? In other words, if you go link dead, do you become invulnerable after all until you log back in? That'd be annoying if you could stand in front of the spawn doors of an enemy base, and become a bullet sponge / block exits.

I don't know by the way. Currently if you lose your connection you disappear from the server afaik.
  20. bPostal

Oh, I thought you were going to talk about game mechanics, not game stability. Game stability is what you really want fixed, not more game mechanics to help you when your game DOES crash. The game does, in fact, need more mechanics but those are actual gameplay mechanics to improve the game overall.

Here's just a couple reasons why I don't mind starting back at the WG:

I'm in a MAX but I'm about to get C4'd! *Alt+f4, log in later with my MAX suit*
    My tanks on fire! *alt+f4, log in later and rep my tank*
    There's a bus about to park in that spot! *Run out to the parking spot (general location), alt+f4, log back in on top of bus with C4*
    Oh, there's a zerg at this base and I don't want to fight them! *Alt+f4, log in a couple min later as they're all leaving and backhack the point uncontested*

As you can see, if SOE allows you to take up the exact same posistion, with the exact same loadout just because your game crashed, opens the door for douchebags to try and game the system.

TLDR: Client and server stability is the topic of the post, not the addition of more mechanics.