Best shotgun for TR?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meccar, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Meccar

Thinking about buying a shotgun for close-quarters once I've bought a few last upgrades/attachments, any suggestions as to which one I should go for? I'm thinking the Nighthawk.
  2. Shanther

Skillhawk.
  3. Samsonn

You can't go wrong with the haymaker (250 certs), especially if your a low(er) aim player. While the pump actions do reward you for high aim, its very high risk / high reward. it's hard enough making sure you are close enough. Also many of the times that shotties are useful are in a surprise situation when rounding corners where you may be frantically trying to get a bead on your enamy.

The haymaker has 2 more shots with extended magazine than the other semi / auto shotties, as well as having pretty much the same stats as its more expensive semi-auto cousin (a slight drop in muzzle velocity I believe). I also find that the semi auto keeps me more conscious of landing shots, as with the full auto shotty its more of a spray and pray.

As with most things in this game though, it comes down to preference. I don't use slugs either, however I have heard certain shotties are better with this bullet type.

-Sam
  4. Akeita

Pump shotgun, obviously.
    • Up x 1
  5. reticentbassist

Uppercut. It is known.
    • Up x 1
  6. doombro

Haymaker. It's got the highest BR100 SPH out of all the shotguns according to higby's stats. Just thought I'd let you know.
  7. Kanil

Get the Haymaker if you only want to spend 250 certs.
    Get the Barrage if you want a good, flexible shotgun.
    Get the Nighthawk, Uppercut, or Blackjack if you like to reload and/or die a lot.
  8. MziD

I pretty much enjoy the uppercut but it depends where you fight. Regent Rock Garrison for example is ideal for that
    type of shotgun, fly with your LA up and surprise everyone with OHK shots.
  9. MorganM

I have the Uppercut and so far... not impressed. Like a lot of stuff; it's a blast when it first comes out and it's stupid OP but after it gets nerfed it goes back on the shelf. You gotta pay to play that arms race.

The rate of fire is my biggest complaint with spread / shot group my next complaint. If you don't get the OHK; you loose. So I started analyzing some other shotties: Barrage, Nighthawk, or Haymaker.

Nighthawk was awefully tempting; automatic, highest RoF, and muzzle velocity equal to the Barrage. However it has the worst spread / shot group of the three. Also lowest RoF.

Haymaker looks good but worse spread and muzzle velocity than the Barrage. However it has the biggest magazine but with that comes a slower reload time.

Barrage has a tight shot group, good velocity, high RoF, and shortest reload time. I'll take all of those with only having a smaller magazine. Auto vs. Semi... you can learn that. Going with the Barrage myself. Essentially I get a high RoF ... IF I want it... or I can be more disiplined with a superior weapon.

It's kind of a PITA researching this stuff. In game you don't get all the stats you want but you can get a feel for them. Plus in game you get stupid comparisons like it telling you that a spread of 3 is worse than a spread of 4... you want less spread not more so the lower number is best but it comes up 'red'. Also the game doesn't even tell you that number is spread =P Stats between Planetside-Univers and Planetside WIKIA are different and sometimes incomplete.

This is just my humble analysis.

TL;DR
  10. Akeita

False, you can still 2 hit if you miss, unless there is 2 opponent looking right at you, the chamber time is only 0.8s, so far I would prefer pump shotty like Bruiser and Blackjack over every shotgun
  11. Feench

Uppercut was my first auraxiam. If you can aim and are good at flanking then you can sneak in a room and kill 7 guys before they even know you are there. But if you miss then you're ******.

I almost have auraxiam with the nighthawk as well. I put the infrared scope with slugs on it and used it as a close to mid range sniper rifle. Usually used it as a light assault in towers and rained slugs down on people coming out of the upper spawn doors.
  12. Meccar

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP: I'm probably going to use Slugs for my shotty, does that change anything?
    • Up x 1
  13. Kanil

You will die every time you have to engage two targets at once with a PA.

If you don't want to die, get a semi-auto. The other shotguns are far too inflexible, and will get you killed in a lot more situations than the semis. Of the two, the more accurate one is a bit nicer, since you can kill from slightly further out, and it reloads faster. However, both are fine and make the other three look like trash.

If you don't care if you live or die, then all five shotguns are workable shotguns. They kill stuff up close pretty well. 'course, I'm not a huge fan of the spawn screen, so I again recommend the semi-autos.

Edit:
    Slug PAs are terrible. You give up the one shot kill, thus defeating the weapon's entire point of existing.

Slugs probably make the Haymaker slightly more desirable compared to the Barrage, though.
  14. Akeita

All situational,
    PA is best shotgun to stomp tower.
    Semi - Auto and Auto Shotgun is best at taking away half of a MAX health bar and overall average performance compare to all other shotgun.
  15. Flapatax

If you know how to move and LOS get a pump action. If you're bad, get a semi-auto.
  16. MorganM

Neither of us are wrong... totally situational. 1v1 you're right; I agree. That's not always the case though; in fact rarely the case for me. Usually when I'm in a tower there's dozens of dudes running around and yes there are more than 1 enemies with LoS on me and likely firing. If I can't OHK and use that next shot for a kill... I'm dead. I'm just finding, IN MY CASE, that if I miss I die and I miss too often. I need something more forgiving and something to get multiple shots off much faster.

I also admit I'm just not a good enough aim to be a pump action hero. I need something more forgiving which is why I want higher RoF, faster reloads, etc.
  17. CrashB111

Use the skillhawk and make your enemies rage everytime they die.
  18. Akeita

Rage as hard as when peoples get killed by Phoenixes ?
  19. Rean

this vid is quite old but still mostly valid.
    also, i recommend barrage

20. WyrdHarper

Yes. I quite like the Barrage for my slug shotty; however, there are those who like the nighthawk as well. For slugs, Semiauto or auto is what you want.