Lag,Stutter,LowFps?Old Computer? Try This!!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dru0129, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Dru0129

For those who still have problem's running this game at a playable rate. Let me Share what I have had to work with and how I managed to make it a lot more playable!! These are My Computer Specs AMD Dual Core
    2.2ghz 8gig of DDR2 and a 9400GT Nvidia Graphic Card, Beast mode right? HAHA! Ok, I already know my Computer's specs don't even meet the "Minimum Requirements" to run this game or any MMO for that matter. So I didn't expect much.
    (INI.FILE)"GameSettings":The number's and what they indicate in your INI.File...0 turns it
    off...1 is LOW..2 is Medium..3 is High..4 is Ultra...these numbers pertain to the
    Graphic/VisualSettings. Try using this setup. Settings are under [Rendering]
    GraphicQuality=1 Note:Having this on Low will make all night vision scopes suck. So I set mine to 3 for best and furthest Night Vision Scoping! TextureQuality=1,ShadowQuality=0,RenderDistance=1200-Note:Can set and change this setting in game without restarting so play around with it.
    Gamma=0.000000,MaximumFPS=150,UseLod0a=1,OverallQuality=-1 Note:The reason this setting is at -1, because this is a Overall/Average of all your Graphic Settings! Example changing this to a 1 would change all Setting's back to Low..2 for Medium
    etc.LightingQuality=1,EffectsQuality=1,TerrainQuality=1,FloraQuality=0,ModelQuality=1,VerticalFOV=65,ParticleLOD=0,ParticleDistanceScale=0.65000,FogShadowsEnable<0,MotionBlur<0, Vsync<0 RenderFlora:OFF. I also noticed that the sound of explosions and vehicles passing caused it to stutter...Like when your running along, then a tank would drive by me and the game would quickly freeze and frame jump me like 5yards every time it happend. This is probably due to my also ****** on board Audio. I did how ever solve this problem by simply turning down the SoundChannels<60. Having higher/more Sound Channels will allow you to hear ultimately more and different Sounds/Ambience that you couldn't hear at a lower Setting. and I only was getting 30-40 FPS with 20 or so people running around. When in battle with Squads Detected=40+Players, it start's to decline to around 15-20fps, and is unplayable with Platoons Detected=100+Players, drops my FPS to a blood pumping 5FPS, or will lock up/stutter and I end up having to restart the Client. Also noticed the Lag varies on certain maps,Example: Indar, by far the worst Continent for me and a lot of others I play the game with. I think this being due to the amount of people there all the time, also it being the largest Continent. Anyway to the point. I did look and read many different ways and ideas to Tweak the game threw it's INI.File to get smoother and higher FPS. But I finally noticed even after everything I tweaked in the INI, the most effective boost in FPS and stability was to simply," In game, lower your xX[RenderQuality]Xx, not Rendering Distance. This made it to where I could enjoy the game more and get into larger fights without the horrible lag!! The Lower you set the RenderQuality, the crappier the game will look, but you will notice your mouse.aim.movement is a ton smoother=more targets hit, but mainly you will see a
    large jump in your FPS. I would rather sacrifice the look of a game any day, to be able to
    play it without lagging and be able to enjoy a Awesome and not to forget..."FREE"MMOFPS that is by far the most fun...in terms of what it has to offer the players! Also the fact that it is the only FREE.MMO.FPS that is functionally running up to 2000 player's on a single Map/Continent! Which is definitely worth experiencing in game or even just watching the mere site of that many player's battling it out at any giving time is phenomenal! I hope this will help those who are still having problems with the game and maybe even help those who gave up, trying to get the game to run smoothly!! Sorry for the length of this, but I have been gathering up all this information since I started playing last year. Now I wanted to share it with everyone, so maybe they can have a more enjoyable gamming experience! My Goal was to make the game run smoother and a lot less laggy in the larger scale battles. Which is really where you want to be. So you can experience first hand, the game and everything it has to offer to it's max potential !!I had to leave, to completely get everything I did, to help fix the Lag, Stutter and Low Fps I was experiencing. So I can now enjoy everything Planetside 2 has to offer!!! Have any Question's or Tips, please feel free to leave feedback and comments and I will definitely get back to you a soon as I can or just message me in game...Empire: "New Conglomerate" Server: "Mattherson" In Game Name: Dru0129. Hope to hear that this has either fixed or helped you with whatever problem you were having!! Peace to all, and best of luck to those who step onto the battle field. See you out there Soldier!
    • Up x 1
  2. anaxim

hmmm... there are even lower settings ......here are my "ultra low" settings

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=4
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=500.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=91
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=-1
    EffectsQuality=-1
    TerrainQuality=-1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=-1
    VerticalFOV=65
    ParticleLOD=-1
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.250000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0

im not 100% sure about UseLod0a=0 because i heard that it is for showing "less" graphics at the distance when it is in =1 ..BUT for me maybe it is better showing more graphics even at distance ,than having the cpu involved to "make" them less
    (as i said im not sure that the cpu is involved to make the graphics(detail) lower at distance...maybe it is a placebo effect )
    • Up x 2
  3. Dragonsz14

I have a slightly better system then you with an a4-3400 2.7 ghz processor and the HD radeon 6450 and integrated 6410D card.

I think this should help me a lot thanks.
  4. Dragonsz14

Where do I find ini.file?
  5. Dragonsz14

Where do I find ini.file?
  6. HeadHuntr

Where you installed Planetside 2! Open the launcher and press that little wrench in the bottom left, and select open game directory. You can find it there.
  7. Dru0129

Sorry I have been lacking on the forums lately. INI file is easy to find by opening the game hit the little wrench in bottom left corner and it will have the game file locator there!
  8. TheAppl3

My EYES. That font and formatting.

So lowering your settings improves performance. Intriguing.
  9. Seuchensaal

Thread-Necros... Thread-Necros everywhere...
    • Up x 2
  10. Dru0129

Yes, this is a given in any game you play! Sorry about your eyes...lol. But even with a beast RIG, you can get smoother game play by lowering the game setting's.
  11. Dru0129

Correction** @ Main game launcher page click the wrench@the bottom left corner, you will see there is a open game directory open it and scroll almost all the way down till you come across user options ini file!!
  12. Dru0129

Main game launcher page click the wrench@the bottom left corner, you will see there is a open game directory open it and scroll almost all the way down till you come across user options ini file!!
  13. TheAppl3

Protip: edit function instead of triple post. Keeps it much more organized. Also, I doubt the people who asked those questions half a year ago are still watching this thread and looking for the response.
  14. Dru0129

Thank you for putting up your ini settings. The more people that can give input and advise on what helped them get smoother game play is all for the better!! Here is an example of how LoD_"Level of Detail" works!

As a simple example, consider the following sphere. A discrete LOD approach would cache a certain number of models to be used at different distances. Because the model can trivially be procedurally generated by its mathematical formulation, using a different amount of sample points distributed on the surface is sufficient to generate the various models required. This pass is not a LOD-ing algorithm.
    Visual impact comparisons and measurements
    Image [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Vertices ~5500 ~2880 ~1580 ~670 140
    Notes Maximum detail,
    for closeups. Minimum detail,
    very far objects.
    • Up x 1
  15. anaxim

Sorry if I go of topic....I'm about to get a new pc....but before that I changed OS from windows xp 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit(I have a dual core 2.9 intel cpu)

As the devs suggest the crushes stopped immediately with the 4 giga memory that the win 7 recognize. But the frame rate dropped more than -10 fps + extra stuttering.(it seems that win 7 are heavier for the cpu, at least for me)

The result is that it is only good if i want to fly a Lib , for everything else is better to have win xp and crush every 20-30 minutes.

I'm just posting this to say to other people with dual cores not to try(in vain) make their game run better if they have win 7 ...and those with win xp 32 should not upgrade just for playing Planetside 2 (its worse*).....no crashing is good only for piloting a Lib.

*worse for playing Planetside 2 with a dual core ....otherwise win 7 its a fine OS
  16. TheAppl3

No. Windows 7 is only worse if you have and older and underpowered PC. For anyone with a modern system, it's a MUCH better OS for various reasons. It has nothing to do with you having a dual-core processor and everything to do with that dual-core processor being an older and slower one than the current standards.