Is resist shield viable anymore?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by CactusLynx, Jan 12, 2014.

1. CactusLynx

I've been using adrenaline shield since PU02 and I find it helpful when i'm getting multiple enemies attacking, however I have maxed resist shield compared to a level 3 ASC.
  2. Shanther

It is still viable. You lose a little bit of effective health but you gain a decreased down time. It is a play style thing.
  3. cruczi

You mean compared to level 3 NMG? ASC is in a different slot.

ASC works nicely with Resist Shield though because unlike with NMG, you'll be taking a lot more damage to your shields.
    • Up x 1
  4. Pie Chasm

You're getting roughly 318 health over NMG vs. infantry, but you don't have the amazing synergy of flak and NMG.

Before nerf: 2272 effective health with NWA
    Sans NWA: 1818

So now you only have 1818 effective health vs. everything.

I think from a cert efficiency stand point, it's still good, because max flak is expensive and your downtime for the shield is virtually non-existent, so you get a lot out of your investment.

However, if all you play is HA, then adrenaline shield is the best with flak, especially since you virtually are a meat vehicle vs. other vehicles with flak and can sustain yourself without burning up medic kits.
    • Up x 1
  5. MrEclectic

Resist has the lowest cooldown, and is active the longest. Combined with the fast shield recovery rate the ASC enables, you reduce the time you are vulnerable between engagements, and you are back into the fight quickly.

As others have said, it all comes down to playstyle and situation. Resist+ASC is a good versatile option. There is no clearly superiour option anymore, after PU02.
    • Up x 3
  6. Myrgatroid

Resist + ASC I usually lose 1v1 v good heavies w/ full Adrenaline/NMG. Since 1v1 is rare in this game, I usually opt for the versatile Resist + ASC. Sometimes I will roll NMG with nanoweave or ASC. It still performs well (and it's great if there is a specific enemy heavy you are hunting trying to duel), but I'm not a fan of the NMG down time (especially on Indar, due to it's lack of infantry terminals).

So yes, as others have said, Resist is definitely still viable.
  7. Unblest

Adrenaline Shield is only great when its maxed. However, to me Resist Shield is the best. But I like to pop it before I run into a room gun blazing.
  8. Shanther

I have a Resist + ASC set up which I was using for a little while after PU2 came out (instead of Resist + NW) and I have stopped using lately it in favor of Adren + ASC. I can normally win a 1 v 1 fight...however I don't like how I can't really kill people back to back to back like I can if I use Adren because damage almost always bleeds into your health with Resist. I may go back to it...to test it some more.
  9. Rogueghost

Resist shield is still my favorite shield by a large margin, sure it no longer gives you a massive health pool, but the fact I can always count on it to be up when I need it is more than worth it.
    When using NMG or adrenaline I would pop my shield in the first fight I get into, than either wait for it to recharge or enter the next engagements without my shield.
  10. Metal Insomniac

Max out ASC with it, and it's amazing. It's the one shield you can ALWAYS count on.
  11. Larolyn

The nerf to nanoweave finally let me cert out my only class without ASC with ASC. ASC is my playstyle. For all classes. It's all about fast recovery and back into the action fast. Combined with Resist Shield having the lowest down time of any shield, I am loving the changes. Action, action, action.

If you prefer to hold back a bit NMG with Flak might be worth looking at. If you wanna be in the thick of things all the time, ASC + Resist is the way to go. As always said, playstyle dictates suit slot / shield choice and not "these numbers are better use them".
  12. Erendil

Except if you're going up against an infil w/ a Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle. BASR fire goes right through Resist without getting reduced at all, so even w/ Resist active you can be OHK'd. NMG/Adren OTOH will let you survive one headshot.

Because of this, I only use ASC + Resist for indoor fighting (like Bio Labs) or if there aren't many enemy snipers around. Otherwise I stick to NW+Adren.
  13. hebdomas

Does all BASR fire bypass Resist Shield or only head shots?
  14. Erendil

It's all BASR fire, body or headshot, so long as the base damage is >400. Resist Shield has a damage cap of 400. Any single bullet that does more than 400 damage goes through the shield without being reduced.

It used to even apply to the SAW if you go a headshot (200 base damage x2). I think the base damage needs to be 400 before it ignores the Resist Shiled now, though. Like the Commissioner at point blank. It's been a while since I tested it though.
    • Up x 2
  15. janeTEXAS

so going point blank against a HA with a pump shotgun its useless to use resist shield?

that changes a little bit my prespective.
  16. Erendil

The damage cap applies to each projectile that hits the Shield on an individual basis. Pump shotguns fire 10 or 11 individual pellets (model depending) per pull of the trigger (i.e. - per shell), each of which only do 130 damage, so Resist Shield will work against those pellets.

A shotgun slug might go right through the shield, though. I haven't tested that to confirm.
  17. janeTEXAS

with your experience, would you use NMG or resist shield against shotguns or smgs at very close range?
  18. Shanther

You are kinda damned either way.
  19. Pie Chasm

In either case, the damage is reduced as per the first calculation made, so the 1818 effective health is applicable.

Since slugs are hard to use in CQC since you have to be pin-point accurate, most shotgunners don't use them in that area (although some crazy/skilled people do).

There still needs to be testing done for NMG, since if the 20% damage reduction from NWA stacks with it, then you can potentially get 1875 effective health vs. non-headshots.

Amazing how there is still so much undocumented **** after all of this time.. hopefully somebody will muster the strength to compile the python code.. or write their own, but wait, wouldn't it be easier for the devs just to add the info to the interface?
    • Up x 1
  20. janeTEXAS

I have been trying both and NMG gives me reaction capacity that i cant have with Resist Shield.

Resist Shield now feels like a better Nanoweave, it mitigates damage but you still go down fast. On the other way when im caught off guard i can pull NMG and i fight back, even if the NMG goes down fast i still have the 25% resist from Nanoweave.