Advices for a starter

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by SKuLLdRaG3, Jan 10, 2014.

1. SKuLLdRaG3

Hello. I just recently started playing planetside 2. I watched some tutorials but could someone recommend me what weapons should i buy on infiltrator as a vanu? What else should i buy?

P.S. Is there a part of a forum for newbies?
  2. IIXianderII

I would recommend getting a couple of levels in both your suit slot(nanoweave is a really good one to start with) and your cloak, either the artemis if you want to be more of a CQC infil or the XM98 if you want to be more of a sniper infil, some medkits, then Max out your cloak (probably best to do 1 less than max to save some certs), and by the time you get this far you should be comfortable enough with the game that you can decide what kind of role you want to play and specialize your certs even more.

If you go with the artemis keep in mind that while its more of CQC weapon than bolt actions or semi autos, its still best to stay around medium to close range with it and pick your fights in a way that allows you to get the jump on people.(30-80 meters and try to avoid head to head fights)

If you go with the XM98 keep in mind that it is a mid range bolt action so you will not be able to snipe very well past 200m and past 250m you will not be able to OHK with a headshot.

As a side note, if you are having trouble earning certs as an infil, it might be easier to play medic or engineer for a while because dropping ammo and reviving teammates can give you a lot of quick and easy certs without dying too much. I would suggest medic, and make sure to try and put some ranks into medic gun before you start saving for you infil because maxing out the medic gun more than pays for itself.

Edit: I also forgot to mention get the AMS upgrade for your sunderer as soon as possible ( don't forget to equip it when you buy it) as this allows you to park the sunderer, deploy it with the B button, and now your team can spawn on it.

If you search this forum, Reddit, and youtube you should be able to find plenty of guides if you need more help or have any questions.
  3. SKuLLdRaG3

Thanks and i have another question. How can i make my sniper move less while in zoom?
  4. IIXianderII

holding shift while zoomed in will hold your breath for a few seconds, after you run out of breath it will shake a bit harder for a few seconds and once it calms down you will be able to hold your breath again. (Sadly there is no meter to tell you how long you can hold your breath so you will just have to learn and get used to the timing.)
  5. kirinohana

The Artemis is a good versatile weapon which is a bit cheaper on the certs. Test it out in the VR chamber first though (always a good habit) and play with scopes/attachements. You get there from the world map selection terminals, can test set ups for free.

I also recommend AP mines, good tactically and the kills add up from those. And lastly weapon wise you will want to upgrade your Beamer pistol, its not a priority because of the cost but test out the others in the VR chamber I use the Underboss.

If you are going the sniper route, blot actions are basically a must.
  6. LibertyRevolution

Welcome.
    Please find VR Training (located on the bottom the warpgate terminal screen) and find a riffle that works best for you.

Personally I like the ghost, but others will tell you it is garbage, I like iron sights and low power scopes.

Settings/General/Scoped mouse sensitivity.
  7. K2k4

MattiAce aiming tutorial part 1 (very useful for starting out)

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKoolaidLine?feature=watch
    The koolaid line, basically a vblog of a pretty darn good NC infiltrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarpathWrel
    Wrel's channel. This guy's pretty good at just about anything, not a lot at sniping though (he admits in many of his videos. He gives pretty darn awesome reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ryan031484?feature=watch
    Mustarde's channel. Because I probably wouldn't be allowed to post here if I didn't at least mention this guy. He's kind of been our advocate on the forums, posting many times on the subjects of nano-weave, cloaking, scope sensitivity, whatever. He also is pretty darn good at sniping.
    also by Mustarde: http://aninfiltratorsblog.wordpress.com/author/ryan031484/ Behold the blog.. includes a section on new player certs you may want to check out.
  8. KO-tic

Please do spend time in the Vr and test out literally all the wepons and trail them (go to a WEPONS terminal and click on the wepon press buy and there a menu will pop up an CLICK TRAIL, this gives you the WEPON FOR 30 MInutes in real gameplay and see if it works for you )
  9. Pizzasaurus

If u wanna snipe - cheapest bolt action. It is good enough to make more expensive rifles not worth it. Buy better one after you max out whatever else you want. Better pistol may be even more important than better sniper rifle. Semi-auto sniper rifles are garbage btw.

If u are "in yo face" type of player - SMG. Use VR, get one with best dps and large magazine.
  10. Drowingpool

All Good advice :) I would suggest you find what works best with your computer and settings and take it from there =)

Hunt Well :)
    (sorry had to edit.. If your not having fun its not worth your wile.....)
    Drow
  11. Slopert

My advice: don't waste 100 cert on the silencer (like I did 15min ago) if you want to take out targets at long range.
    The bullet drop is to much to get a headshot at 200m+
  12. hijinksleturtle

Ah come on, I just bought the darn silencer! Is it really that bad?
  13. Freedym Fry

The silencer can work with practice, but if you're new you might find it frustrating to learn with. See how it goes for you though. Also, while I really like the artemis, I think it's pretty hard to use if you're starting out. It requires a lot of control to be effective, and without it you're a sitting duck. I would save up for an smg but that takes awhile. The artemis in that case can be an inexpensive close range compromise, but again, takes quite a lot more skill than the other guns.

Also don't write off the semi-auto rifles, including the starter weapon. They have their advantages too and can be quite effective.
    • Up x 1
  14. Akeita

First of all, don't show yourself, like ever, otherwise other good infil just gonna blow your head off, I enjoy it ****** infil nubs that show himself. I literally dont try to peak or aim until my hunter cloak 6 is reset, do something useful like reload while waiting. Cloak - Aim - Shift - Shoot. Strafe and shoot is not a noob - friendly skills so might as well ignore it for a while
  15. Ryouhki

also:
    -Mines are a really good source of free kills when used well.
    -a good recon dart is mandatory.
    -learn to use cover. towers, that single rock on desrt, plain hill or ditch doesn't count as a cover,,
    -don't camp in a same spot for too long.
    -consider of getting the Sirius, Parallax and as said before, the Underboss (or get a flashlight for beamer if you want to troll and get some interesting pm's)
  16. ZeroErrorz

if you intersted in sniping try getting the parralax as your first ten gun, i say ten because you probrably gonna spen those cert on other cheap weapon first, also when sniping find the emptiest high ground you can find and set your personal waypoint at the direction of you targeting to adjust your self to your weapon effective range, and remember when lining up shot use ur cloak and try to going to other spot after 3-4 shot if people is looking for you one shot is all needed.
  17. Benevon

The "silencer" is better used on close range weapons. The bullet drop on sniper rifles with it on can be difficult to compensate for, not to mention leading targets that much more. Keep in mind, you will only appear on the minimap when you take a shot from 40m away. Your tracer bullets are more dangerous in giving away your position and those never go away.
  18. Stinneyt

19. Sworaven

You're better off with Medkits tbh. You might that additional kill per life, maybe even two but medkits are so much better. They're absolute lifesavers. I eat'em like candy.
  20. Stinneyt

You're right medkits are more useful long term, but Claymores are fun to use. Applying a medkit is not quite as satisfying as laying the trap, baiting the prey, and blowing them up.
    I auraxiumed my claymores, and then switched to medkits.