What is the best ground setup for taking out Air?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Skrigg, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Skrigg

Having a lot of fun as a heavy using rockets but I was wondering if there is a better setup for that specifically?
  2. MedecineMan

Ya it's called the NS-10 Burster. You buy 2 of them and take out your MAX and you have an instant no-fly zone. Other than the MAX, what your doing now is the next best thing.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tommyp2006

technically you only have to buy one since the max comes with one my default.

And if there REALLY is a lot of air and you want to travel across multiple bases, get the skyguard gun for the lightning.
    • Up x 2
  4. Vinakis

Lightning + Skyguard + Racer Chassis + Top Armor + Smoke

More certs required, but it chews through incoming aircraft like a dream, and with the speed boost to the already fast tank, you'll be able to stay away from the MBTs that will no doubt want to kill you.
  5. Progapanda

Personally I prefer Vanguard for AA duty.
    • Up x 1
  6. come1l

Haven't considered any AA mixes or lock-on a threat for a while thanks to SOE. But one Skyguard kills aircrafts in seconds that's for sure.
  7. aRottenKomquat

Dual burster MAX is where it's at. I'm not sure what happened to the skyguard but I can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore.
    • Up x 1
  8. ABATTLEDONKEY

Lets just say this, when im in a VG, I focus on skyguards if i see them. the reason for this is because i hate getting killed by air, and as long as there is an enemy skyguard around, the enemy will have air superiority.
  9. Baconite

I also like to use Stealth armor instead of Top Armor, but you have to be careful if there are good Lib crews around when you do this.
  10. Axehilt

In order:
    1. A2A ESF
    2. Other ESF
    3. Skyguard
    4. Liberator (in the right hands)
    5. Sunderer with some mix of Walker/Basilisk + Blockade
    6. Tank + Walker (provided you don't noob it up and let them flank you)
    7. Dual Burster
    8. Infantry with G2A
    9. Liberator (in most hands)
    To expound, my standard solo Liberator loadout is Tank Buster with as much mag size as possible (4 currently), and maxed High-G, autorepair, and fire suppression. And a thermal shredder for farming ground targets. I don't exactly chase down ESFs, but kill most of the ones who engage me, and have very high kill rates against enemy liberators.
  11. Forlorn Hope

Bursters work well and can be pulled from any terminal. Save up for Extended Mags for both arms and you become terrifying to Air. Pause after every 10 shots or so to let COF to reset to do continuous damage at long range. Stock Mag size dual burster will tear up a ESF, the trick is to wait until they have committed themselves to an approach so that you have the most time on target as possible.
  12. Archiadus

Dual Bursters + Extended Mags = Very angry air people that keep pulling more and more vehicles to try and take you down ( If you know what you're doing ) :)

Best 2000 certs I've ever spent.
    • Up x 1
  13. Koldorn

I run skyguard with max racer, stealth, and smoke.

(Paint that sucker white) Esamir is my hunting ground.
  14. LIKE A BOSS!

TR Striker with ammo pack.
  15. Doombunny

Skyguard w/ rival, smoke, stealth, 1.5 scope/reload 3 and 1300 rounds. I spend a lot of time in my skyguard because air irks me and stops me from playing anything else when they are around :(
  16. NoctD

Nanite Repair and Fire Suppression is far superior to that setup, but the rest are good.
  17. Vinakis

Superior for your playstyle, perhaps. :p

Nanite Repair tends to be redundant when you're driving as an Engi with a maxed repair tool, and if you need fire suppression, you're as good as dead anyway. At least in my opinion.
  18. NoctD

That's what you think - until you get sniper shot and lose your Lightning. Fire Suppression kicks Nanite Repair into action and it also heals a bit of your damage over 5 seconds.

Now if you need IR smoke, you're obviously not focusing on the strength/role of the Skyguard. Its not very useful to hide yourself as it depends on the graphics settings your enemy is running at.

The NAR/FS combo can also allow you to go after vehicles, you can hit and run, and heal on the run. If you rely on your repair gun and stop for repairs, you'll be so dead.
  19. Ash87

Depends on the situation.

You never go wrong with a skyguard. Skyguard + Top armor + Nano Repair does nicely. If the air is at range you -need- to use a skyguard though.

Close range, or with a lot of air that is hovering, go with Bursters on a max, but stay near building entrances, and ideally stay near the spawn room (Frankly, You will have to switch loadout, there is no point in straying out into the base with bursters). If you don't have the vehicle resources, and you are a good shot, and the ESF pilot is flying low, a standard rocket launcher will 1-shot an ESF (If not 1-shot, you'll set it on fire).

If you have 2-3 friends, 2-3 skyguards will create a no fly zone, with a 300m radius around you. If you all don't have the vehicle resources, get 2-3 Lock-ons and go find a tall building.

If you are looking for a tank secondary, the Basilisk does chew up air. Avoid the kobalt (Not even remotely as good as the basilisk in an AA role). Of the two AA guns for the secondary slot, get the Walker over the ranger.

If you are willing to try Air combat, but aren't great, go with a lock-on AA missile. Just keep back and get 2 shots into them. If you are dealing with libs, it comes down to the pilot. If the pilot is halfway decent, don't get an ESF, you will die. To Counter libs from the air, you can use another lib, or a galaxy. Galaxies with walkers make Really good anti-lib weapons, but it's expensive to do that, to take out one lib.
  20. TomaHawk

I was going to say the same. Last time I brought out a well cert'd Skyguard, the shooting/aiming felt gooey and I couldn't hit much unless it was slow. Burster Max feels far tighter and accurate.
    • Up x 1