The whole lock-on mechanic is bad..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Grayson, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Grayson

-Easier to use than before.
    -Too fast locks, or due to latency instant locks.
    -Rockets are ********....yesterday got a lock and is saw the rocket, it was like 5m+ between us i saw the rocket hit the ground, and guess what? i died. (No there was no other rockets, i got hit from the front #latency again)
    -ESFs locks are just simply stupid, you can buy "skill" for 500 certs.

Where are the promised "maintain lock" changes?
    • Up x 5
  2. Keiichi25

Easier to use than before - How? It is simply pick a target, wait for tone and launch it.

Too fast locks - Only at close range, and longer ranges, you still have to wait a bit. This was to make the use of lockon weapons more 'viable' for shorter distances. At the same time, the dumbfires had their gravity increased so they couldn't be used as nicely for ranged engagements. The only dumbfire that doesn't have this issue is the Lancer.

Your Rockets comment - If you were getting hit multiple times by one single user with a lockon weapon in a near instant time, report the user for speed hacking... But the short range lockon was reported as acquiring a little faster as the risk for using it is higher at closer range than at longer range.

Currently, the maintain lock change is on the Striker, the one weapon that does up to 2500 damage if it hits with all 5 rounds, the rest of the launchers were tweaked a little, but most of them were the Dumbfire ones and the Annihilator.
    • Up x 1
  3. BilliBobBillsen

Dont wanna say it but u know technology skippes skill.
    U should be lucky that lock- on works like they work in planetside2. real life lock-ons kill you out of line of sight (outta render in that case). We are in future and real life stuff is actually better performing. 300 meters lock-on is a joke same as the air locks. If u think that technology is OP (what it is infact) you should consider playin games that play in the past where there is no technology or less and everything is compesated with skill. If more poeple QQ about stuff that is about "advanced" technology and devs really listen to that QQ they should rename this game to World War II on a different planet(side). Complaining about weaponry that already exists in real life while playing a future shooter is like playing tony hawk and saying that wheels on the skateboards are cleary OP and you should be able to hover by the power of your mind because everything else would be without any skill.
  4. sodopro

No, latency is a real problem with insta locks.

Client side is real annoying.
    • Up x 2
  5. sodopro

Don't bring realism into a game where the most advanced wear spandex
    • Up x 4
  6. Mastermind

Let me guess, you want to be able to fly over 20 people with lock ons and not be penalized for your stupidity, right?
    • Up x 3
  7. ABATTLEDONKEY

Its not about that. its about the ability to fight back. Its about a mechanic, in which code determines success/failure, and player skill has nothing to do with the outcome of events. Lock-on mechanics are by far, the lowest, and simplest of gameplay mechanics, and truly bring the gameplay to its lowest denominator.

I would much prefer to see a complete removal of lock-ons, in exchange for player controlled AA that is feasible.
    • Up x 9
  8. Mhak

I'm fine with removing lock-ons... So long as you also remove everything in the air.

I'll be damned if I die to some skill-less lolpodder and am not able to respawn as an HA and G2A him out of the sky. They want easy, cheese kills, well I should be allowed to do it back to them with an equal lack of any sort of skill. Just the way the world goes 'round.
    • Up x 3
  9. Sordid

Remove all lock-on weaponry entirely from the game, I say. I don't care how you justify it in the lore, SOE, you can just say that there's too much jamming being pumped out by all three sides or something. I don't care if you have to issue refunds to people who bought the damn things with money either. Bite the bullet and pony up, it'll make the game better and thereby make you more money in the long run.
    • Up x 2
  10. come1l

Never considered lock on as a threat when flying any aircrafts or vehicles.
  11. Spolin

As someone who both flies and uses AA lock-on launchers regularly, I say you're full of it.

I get shot down by lock-on launchers very rarely; when I die it tends to be to AA flak or ESF nose cannons.

When I use my lock-on launcher, half my shots get Decoy Flared. When I actually do manage to get a shot off, they frequently just fly off and repair.

The only time I seem to score kills with my lock-on launcher is either when I'm in the middle of a friendly zerg and the enemy was dumb enough to fly in close and so is already heavily damaged from other AA or when I'm on my own and the enemy is stupid so they stick around for me to shoot them down.
    • Up x 2
  12. Sordid

So what you're saying is that if lock-ons are removed, nothing of value will have been lost? Excellent, thank you for supporting our position! :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Emotitron

Or, just incorporate a proper jamming mechanism into the game. For example allowing a jamming utility on galaxies and sundies that will scramble lock-ons within their radius making them require maintained lock-on or just increasing their chances of a miss. This would allow small squads to still be more effective against lone ESFs and Libs farming them, while allowing aircraft flying with support in large fights some relief from the absurd quantity of hate radiating from the ground.
    • Up x 4
  14. Keiichi25

Except you aren't going to get that, because if there was another AA system that was to replace Lockons, you all would gripe about it being too easy.

There were several nimrods who kept insisting that the Dual Burster MAX AA was 'Point and click' AA that blew away Air because all anyone had to do was point their Bursters towards air, click and "LOL, AIR DEAD". Pure crap and they knew it.

They even threw a hissyfit when they rewarded people doing Ground to Air Damage to Air, rewarding people for attempting to shoot down air with their ground fire. Making it sound like there is too much AA then, now there will be so much out there that no one will be able to fly anymore. And here we are, still with aircraft with new wankers whining yet again.

And to the rest of you... Seriously... I'm fighting the same fight you guys are all fighting, against people using LOCKONs... In Tanks and in Air... The wank about lockons is foolish and get the same crap you guys encounter as well and deal with it as much as I use it (Which is even less in most cases)
  15. MedecineMan

That is a really great idea man. SOE needs to implement more ideas like this in order to keep approaches to combat fresh, and to retain player interest.

As for the launchers, the only people who complain are those who get caught with their pants down trying to ground pound infantry by flying in 20 meters off the ground. Then they get upset when they can't decoy and fly away as is the norm.

As someone said before, the vast majority of ESFs get destroyed by flak and other ESFs. Lock-ons are the least threatening by a large margin in my experience.
    • Up x 1
  16. Poorform

Maintain Lock is going to bring about Airside 2: Electric Boogaloo. I can't tell you how many rockets I fire would outright miss due to this change. It's more fair I give you that, less fire and forget, but it's going to make flying ESF's so bloody easy that you wont even have to run flares anymore, which I'm actually ok with since anyone who doesn't run flares currently is looked on as an idiot.

So I'm torn. On one side it's a great change from the point of view of an ESF pilot as you can actually play with your setup more and not have strict 1000m no fly zones over any contested areas due to skill-on launchers. But on the other hand as an infantry trying desperately to knock out air coming into our base it's going to make life much tougher and make us so much easier to kill while we stare at the esf while absolutely begging to be headshotted. I guess the plight of TR striker users is about to be felt by everyone.
  17. Hatesphere

impressive mental gymnastics

see this is a constructive idea,. it gives blanket defense from the fire and forget mechanic, and further requires air to use teamwork in larger battles.
  18. ABATTLEDONKEY

Incorrect. Please, when you reply to my post, keep it about what Ive said, and what you know about me. There are alot of people on these forums that cry about anything which demeans their niche gameplay. I am not one of them. I try to be fair, objective, and have enough experience to bring an honest amount of perspective to the table.

Im asking for a removal of lock-ons for reasons stated above: They are the lowest form of gameplay. 90% of the action, is determined by code, and not by player interface. It creates a system of checks and balances which are soley balanced by the ticking of a clock vs damage output. there is no other means of balancing it, and the player loses all control of an outcome with very few exceptions. Any system of AA is acceptable to me, as long at the player controls it from beginning to end. ease of use, and damage output ate balance issues to resolve later. right now its about the mechanic, and IMO, there is nothing that could be worse than a lock on.

They are the demographic of goofballs in these forums. The bursters were a problem, yes, but not because of their ease of use. they were a problem because of their damage output relative to their size, availability, sustainability, and numbers. the problem with the maxes was that they were, by far, the most effective form of AA. They were also very cheap to get. could be purchased ANYWHERE, were so small it became difficult to see, could effectively use cover in an instant, could fire from behind cover in most cases (doorways ect) and could be repaired/revived instantaneously. Given these attributes, they were much to strong. So, the skyguard, and the burster max, have effectively changed places, which is where it should be. AA max can be utilized for close range AA cover, but is not a dominant force that provides complete no-fly zones at the low cost of 2-3 burster maxes. the goofballs complained that he burster was to easy to use by calling it point and click. objective posters understood that simple tweaks here and there to bring them in line was all that was needed.

I never heard this before. What i did hear, was that people were complaining that YET AGAIN ground based AA was being given, not only a massive buff (this new XP coupled with a pretty sizable nerf to aircraft), but an incentive to use it. I was all for this change personally, but then again, i never saw anyone who wasnt. people complained about the direction of the game, and the rational used to take it there. not this mechanic all by itself. At least that was my experience.

Im not even sure what this means TBH
    • Up x 2
  19. Keiichi25

Or... People flying admit they should be flying in groups just as they have been telling Tank Jockeys and Infantry to do as well, cause Mass AA/Lockons work best in groups against single targets... More Air makes it a little difficult to lockon to by a group unless they are *gasp* a coordinated group.

Even EXE on Connery, when they do their annoying as crap Warpgate Camping campaign on Indar, their weakness has always been trying to deal with multiple targets. As a person who butts heads with them and also participating in some of their foolishness, it boils down to the fact they can't cover everything and they are only successful when people do piecemeal attacks. And mind you, this is F-ing TR with STRIKERS, do you know what they use the most? Bursters, Fractures and Engineering Turrets, C4 along with Strikers... Out of the 5 weapons, only 1 is a lockon, and they only hold their position when people don't attack in mass.

Even XPIV do this crap and again, most of their attempts is with *gasp* the same stuff. I have personally made runs on them doing this crap and know the weaknesses of Lockons then and even now... These are TR with the OP Strikers before the nerfs people insisted on needing and I found ways to counter attack them.

This is why I harp on threads like this, people who wank about Lockons don't know how to deal with them in general and don't even try. I try my best and I am not even a friggin high scoring, elite player and know how to deal with it better than some of you...
    • Up x 1
  20. holycaveman

And hence this is where the word "peasant" originated from. Non thinking players that don't realize there is effective AA without lock on spam.

The reason you can never compare planetside to real life is because in real life you die. In planetside you never do. Then with lock ons there is no cost, endless supply of ammo. Its one of the largest "cheese" in the game.
    Sony actually dumbs down there hard work in making a great game with lock on spam and similar things. All to appease the non thinking peasant.
    • Up x 6