SO EXCITED, upgraded CPU, any ideas on FPS gains?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bob493, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bob493

So........ this game was kind of the only reason Im upgrading my computer.

Specs ->
    Intel E5800
    unknown mother board (literally no id on it)
    16gb crucial ram
    Radeon 7790
    15k 500gb HDD
    650w corsair PSU

been playing on LOWWWWWWWWWW settings at 1600x900. I get around 45-60 fps walking around, but in big battles, that drops to literally around 3-10 fps with a big fat [CPU] the whole time...

So, being sick of this, I purchased an FX8350 and R2.0 970 mobo. Im assuming the gains will be... significant? Anywho, got a great deal on this set up (189$ for both), so I can't complain :)
  2. SquattingPig

Overclock your processor and you'll probably get at least 60 FPS in every battle.
  3. Phyr

Make sure to have a copy of windows handy in case it decides not to work anymore.
  4. efil4mocx

I just bought a new system in a Christmas sale

CPU: i5-4670K

GPU: NVidia GTX 770

What sort of performance can I get?
  5. bob493

Man thats great to hear.

My passmark score is like... 1500 right now, apparently the 8350 gets around 10,000... thats HUGE haha. Im pretty stoked :)
  6. TwentyFirstPilot

Most OEM copies of Windows 7 don't like it when you swap out your mobo. Keep that in mind!
  7. PurpleOtter

You won't know until you log in and press "Alt+F" now will you!
  8. Hatesphere

its always a good idea to do a fresh install when you are swapping out the core of your machine, saves a lot of headaches.
  9. ABATTLEDONKEY

Nice, youll definitely get 11-18 now. GOOD JOB AND ENJOY THE SHOW!
  10. Tommyp2006

You'll see huge gains, now have fun staring at [GPU] all the time.
  11. f0d

i just overclocked my 6 core 3930k even more from 5.0 Ghz to 5.125Ghz

will the game stop dipping into the 40's when theres 40+ tanks and 100's of people in a 48+ vs 48+ battle?
    (answer is no unfortunately)

in the biggest prime time battles no matter what you have you wont be getting a constant 60
  12. Nocturnal7x

oh man your gonna do much better. the 8 core amd may hold up really well thanks to the new consoles. I upgraded my gpu for this game (already had a beast cpu), was not dissapointed.
  13. Sen7rygun

Tweak your .ini file to get best results. Graphics set to ultra, nearly everything else can be balanced up to how you like or want it, leave shadows and flora off for best results. Expect 60+fps in all situations.
  14. Oraculum

You might have figured it out yourself by now, but if not;

I'm running the same cpu and gpu as you, i'm getting 45-60 fps in battles with my settings maxed.
  15. Dark Pulse

[IMG]

You got a good bargain, but you sure ain't gonna get good performance. 30-40 FPS on Medium in big battles I'd figure. At this point you got a slightly better processor, but your GPU is still mid-range, and that AMD CPU is about as good as an Intel processor of, oh, 4 years ago or so.

AMD processors simply are crap at running games very well compared to a good Intel CPU for a number of technical reasons, but it can be summed up as "they're crap at anything that only uses a few CPU cores" and that happens to include pretty much every game ever. The End.
  16. JustSe7en

I mean, I don't see the reason to bash on AMD CPU's so badly. I have an AMD FX-6300 with a 650 Ti Boost 2GB, and I get 30-40 FPS on ultra preset in all fights... and i'm not over-exaggerating. Obviously, the 8350 is a big step up from my 6300, so you should expect at least 40-60. There is no need to be an intel fanboy, and talk down on AMD. Not all folks can afford to drop $400 on an overpriced i7, when you can get an FX series CPU that can do just as good as an i7 in gaming.

Case in point:

[IMG]

The 8350 has the same performance in BF3 as a $330 3770k.

Please don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about. Obvious intel fanboy is SO obvious.
  17. dciz2legit

17 4770k overcloked to 4.6 and amd 7970 overclocked to 1130mhz I get about 60/70 on high in big battles.....no offense to fx users but the i7 is no joke
  18. JustSe7en

But the 4770k is also like $340... so yea i'd hope you be getting that type of performance for that kind of money
  19. NC_agent00kevin

Good buy; you should get great performance now. Intels are a bit more powerful but also cost more. I have been going with AMD because they are cheaper and most of the time the bit of extra performance isnt necessary.
  20. Paqu

Well that picture doesn't prove anything as you can see all CPU's get the same score which means BF3 really doesn't require much from the CPU like most games. But Planetside 2 isn't like most games and the more powerfull CPU you have the better it runs. Having mid range or high end GPU has much smaller effect with this game.

AMD processors are fine and cheap, but Intel CPU's have better performance. And higher price tag.