Crunching some numbers on HA shields

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by kylephelpd, Dec 25, 2013.

1. kylephelpd

If the Resist shield resists 40% and you have 1000 hp than that would be 400 extra hp assuming you use it the whole fire fight.Doesnt the other 2 shields absorb more than 400 dmg? whats the advantage here?
  2. vsae

Resist doesnt deplete. Dont thank me
    • Up x 3
  3. Hatesphere

Yeah, resist doesn't lose charge when it takes damage, it just reduces all incoming damage for the duration. the other shields lose charge (and in that respect hp) for the longer they are on and for taking damage.
  4. DashRendar

Resist has the benefit of low downtime, and this synergizes well with advanced shields and medkits. NMG and Adreno are better when they're still up, but when they're down you need to play more cautiously until they recharge. I've been using the aforementioned Resist build lately myself, and it's a lot of fun.

Wrel has a new video up quickly detailing the differences due to the changes.

5. CL4p2p

Resist Shield take 45% damage based on your health. So if you have 100hp it will block 45 damage.
    Nanite and Adre take just an specific number of damge xyz.

So where is the point ? Nanowave. Before PU2 nanowave added health , so you have more health , and more health = more damage blocked. Therefore RS was realy good with nanowave because the more the rank of Nanowave was high, the more the damage it block on the total damage you receive.

But now that Nanowave was changed and block damage instead of adding health, Nanite and Adrenaline give you theorically more effective health.

The point that you have to think about ; to choose which one, is that Nanite and Adrenaline have a activation cost and take just XYZ damage. So when you get the 400 or so damage , they turn off.
    Resist stay on 'till you die (or get the duration at 0 ). Plus it doesn't take any activation cost. So you can turn-on turn-off whenever you want it will stay block the same amount of damage 'til you die.
  6. Hatesphere

keep in mind that the resist no longer stacks with nano weave armor like in that video since the last patch.
  7. Rogueghost

I use resist shield because its the only shield that can stay up longer then it's down.
  8. GhostAvatar

The health pool of the other two are dependent on the amount of charge you have in them. While the resist is dependent on the amount of health the character has. So they both have their advantages. For example breaching a room and activating the shield on the first enemy will give an advantage to the other two. But if a second enemy comes in behind them, then the resist will most likely have the advantage. Each shields is really designed for different play styles, situations and skill sets.
  9. CaptHaddock

My reason for not using resist is: if you take a bullet without it activating, you lose a lot of benefit. So if you get jumped, don't fire first, you are at a disadvantage. You also cannot toggle off to remove the movement penalty. NMG and Adrenaline I get full value of the 3 layers at all times while being able to toggle on/off, which means it's more consistent for me.
  10. kylephelpd

I have used the Resist shield forever, but didn't know too much about the numbers. But if you have the resist shield your not even getting the advantage of nano weave armor. and if you use the NMG or adrenaline your getting the full advantage of the nano weave after the over shield is depleted. I'm thinking about switching from resist to adrenaline. A little side bar too. Often times when i run long gaps for cover and am taking fire, I am hesitant to turn on the resist shield cause of the speed reduction. Now, i can put the adreniline shield on and not worry about that. I'll be running slow but not be taking damage untill it breaks and then atleast ill be running at full speed
  11. vulkkan

L2MATH! Resist reduces damage by 45% IIRC, so 1000/0.55 = 1818 HP.

I'll sneak in my longer explanation from Reddit in an edit.

Edit:
    "...the resist shield grants a 45% resistance to small arms fire (if I'm wrong, execute me for being a dumb terran). This means if you get hit by a 100 damage bullet, you take 55 damage. The other 45 damage is gone - poof! Nonexistent! So this means, if you have a 55 health pool, the amount of damage you can theoretically tank is 100.

Now, your total health pool regardless of suit slot is now 1000. This is 55% out of the 100% maximum damage you can take with resist shield on, as the other 45% is mitigated. To calculate the total health, divide 1000 by 55 to obtain the value of 1% of maximum damage,
    1000 / 55 = 18.181818181818181818 (this goes on forever, like Higby's flowing hair)
    Multiply that by 100, and **your total theoretical health with resist should be 1818 HP**, assuming the game rounds to the nearest whole number. "
  12. Botji

Not saying you are but that looks wrong.

And I cant be bothered right now to actually think about it! D:
  13. Chivalry

No, you're right. The mathematical operation, and therefore the numbers, are incorrect.

If it blocks 45%, and you have 1,000 life, it can block up 450 damage giving an effective life of 1,450.
  14. Sledginius

No

It surely is 1818 health
  15. Judgeratt

Resist Shield doesn't absorb 45% of your health pool and stop. Here's how the three shields work.

NMG: Absorbs 650 points of damage. Once it has absorbed that damage, the shield goes away. Details: when the shield's on, it drains its charge; taking damage drains that charge as well - if you leave your shield on long enough to drain half of your charge, you'll only be able to absorb half of the damage you otherwise could; the shield has an "activation cost" that takes away some of the charge when you activate it, so in the best case scenario you can absorb just a bit over 600 damage, not 650.

Adrenaline Shield: Functions exactly like the NMG, except for the way it recharges. Details: this shield regains some of its charge when you kill a foe; certing into additional levels of this shield doesn't make it recharge faster like additional levels of NMG do, but rather makes you regain more charge with each kill; a fully-certed AS will recharge faster than a fully-certed NMG as long as you kill once every 36 seconds.

Resist Shield: This shield mitigates 45% of incoming damage. In other words, when using this shield attacks do 55% of the damage they would normally do. This mitigation is in effect as long as the shield is active, and taking hits with the shield up does not affect the duration of the shield. Details: there is a cap on the damage it'll mitigate, kinda, but it isn't the same sort of thing as the other shields.

So, this leads to the idea of effective health. Think of it as your "real" health. By default you have 500 health and 500 shields, which makes your effective health 1000. Max-rank Nanoweave gives you 20% damage mitigation versus small arms fire (excepting headshots), which gives you (1000/(1-.2)) or 1000/.8 effective health, which is 1250, the same effective health max-rank Nanoweave gave you before. The difference is that before NW5 just gave you 250 more health, but now it gives you damage mitigation. That damage mitigation does NOT stack with Resist Shield. Furthermore, NW mitigation does not affect the damage absorbed by NMG or AS (I haven't tested this myself, but Wrel says so :p); however, the mitigation does help you if your shield absorbs all the damage it can and then falls off.

Let's take a look at some effective health numbers with the different shields:

Default EH: 1000
    NW5 EH: 1250 (1000/.8)
    Resist Shield: 1818 (1000/.55)
    NMG/AS: ~1600 (1000+~600)
    NMG+NW5: 1850 (1000/.8 +~600)
    RS+oldNW5: 2272 ((1000+250)/.55)

What's this mean in practical terms? Let's look at how many shots you can survive at different bullet strengths:

Code:
    BulletDamage:  200  167  143  125  112
    Equip   EH
    as+n5  1850      9   11   12   14   16

resist 1818      9   10   12   14   16

as+n4  1776      8   10   12   14   15

as     1600      7    9   11   12   14
    These are just EH numbers, of course. This says nothing about the other benefits of each shield, opportunity cost of picking NW over, say ASC, or the synergies or lack there of between shields and suit slots.
    • Up x 1
  16. Botji

I prefer the NMG/Adrenal shield..

Resist shield lets you take a little more shots but you take "damage" faster with it. If you are swarmed by medics thats not a problem but im not always found in the zerg so thats an important thing for me, when I use the NMG/Adrenal I usually kill the enemy before they break both the normal shield and the NMG/Adrenal so I can just recharge my shields and be good to go again while with Resist the same encounter would leave me with health damage, cue up a few more of those and then im dead through attrition. Adrenal helps me with that : P

The resist shield has a higher effective health but the NMG/Adrenal has a higher effective shield. Unless I did the math completly wrong wich is entirely possible, the resist shield gives you about 904 shield points before it starts eating into your health. If the NMG/Adrenal can take 600 damage at activation it has a total of 1100 shield points(you have 500 shield) wich in turn is about 1 more shot before you take health damage. If you kill one of the enemy you gain almost another shot with max Adrenal, 130 shield per kill.

Another perk of the NMG/Adrenal shield is that any damage you take on the NMG/Adrenal shield doesnt reset your normal shields recharge timer. So you can wait a little before activating the NMG/Adrenal so you take normal shield damage first, then the NMG/Adrenal shield protects you during the last few seconds of the fight and as long as the enemy doesnt break the NMG/Adrenal shield your normal shields will start to recharge faster than if you would activate the NMG/Adrenal as soon as you can when the fight started + you might not have any NMG/Adrenal shield left after the fight if you activate it as the fight starts instead of letting your normal shield take a few hits first.

Been several times shield management has saved me when another enemy comes around the corner and im able to activate the Adrenal shield while the normal shield recharges behind it : )
  17. Grimtou

Like the other posters have said, the advantage to the resist shield is that it has very little downtime - the shield is just as good with 10% energy as it is with 100% energy, whereas the other two will block less damage compared to the maximum.

Coupled with the quick recharge, this means you can basically run resist shield a lot more often.
  18. KnightCole

I love that fast recharge on resist.
  19. ghostwalkn

Adrenaline...

one kill nets you 12 seconds of the 60 second charge

Coming from a kill with no remaining charge, it's only 48 seconds at that point

That's a long span of time that you'll probably encounter another kill-or-be-killed situation. That's all it takes to make adrenaline shield *better* than NMG. It can be a lot lot better on a busy day, or no difference without combat. Don't know why I didn't get adren to begin with!