Why even have the harasser anymore?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tekuila, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayben

Well, now the Harasser is a pointless vehicle that also requires two people to operate.

Overall, people still pulled many more Lightnings and MBTs than Harassers during the last few months. Why is that if the Harasser was so extremely op, indestructible, and good against everything?

The answer is simple: Lightnings and MBTs don't need a second person. It's much simpler just to get into a vehicle alone and camp a spawn room than to get a reliable teammate, use communication, and practice all the time when to shoot at what, when to switch seats, etc..

The balance philosophy behind the fact that a one-manned Lightning is just plain better now than a two-manned vehicle (and with the same resource costs as well) is beyond my comprehension. Teamplay should be encouraged and not discouraged by making the 1 person thingy stronger than the 2 person thingy (again: same resource costs).

Balance adjustments are fine, but essentially removing something from the game by making it bad against everything is not. A buff to the Lightning, maybe even with the explicit intent to make it THE Harasser counter, would have been much, much more enjoyable for both sides.
    • Up x 1
  2. NC_agent00kevin

More doesnt equate to better. In fact, the harasser still has an advantage in that the driver only has to drive and the gunner only has to gun. Lightning drivers are gunners too. Its incredibly hard to drive balls out and land accurate shots at the same time.

Buffing the Lightning to a 'harasser counter' would be silly since the Harasser could still easily outrun the Lightning. That was the whole problem. Nothing on the ground can keep pace with a Harasser. You cant have the best speed, durability and firepower all in one package. Its a very basic balance element present in all games since the beginning of games:

Fast/agile = weak/low damage

Slow/cumbersome = strong/heavy damage

Before there was no downside to the Harasser. Now there is. And you still have your speed and agility for upsides.

Everyone that is complaining about the nerfs is guilt of using a blatently OP crutch to pad KDRs and earn certs. Now the EZ Mode toy is balanced and everyone is mad about it. I used them too, but I still preferred tanks. Harassing was fun because it was OP. When a dune buggy is hands down the go to anti-everything vehicle of choice, there is obviously a problem. And now its fixed. It may have been a little heavy handed, but its closer to where it should be now than it was then.
  3. Peebuddy

Dude the Viper hurts like hell now, messes up not just the harasser but main god damn battle tanks. A full barrage into a prowler is about half it's HP
    • Up x 1
  4. ABATTLEDONKEY

It never could.....not competent players anyways
  5. Grimfalcon77

I'm starting to think SOE is ran out of a junior college game development classroom. How do they not learn from the past screwups?

At least give anyone that's put certs into this now useless buggy a full cert refund.
    • Up x 2
  6. Pikachu

They're not dueling with tanks anymore? They're behaving like lightly armored transports now?

I just wish they didnt nerf turbo.
  7. Blarg20011

For now I'm staying neutral on pretty much the entire patch, the only thing I really wish they did was roll these out slower, over the course of several weeks. First the vehicle adjustments/Esamir changes/NC buffs/H. composite nerf, then TR/VS nerfs/H. weapon nerfs, then the rest of it and H. turbo nerf. (all examples, obviously if SOE did it it would be less haphazard.... never mind.)
  8. Pikachu

W
    What did they change the damage type? I though they just moved some damage from direct ti indirect.
  9. Peebuddy

They changed Viper rounds to "Heavy Damage" type which means less dmg is mitigated when they hit things. The same type as MBTs and phalanx turrets.
  10. KnightCole

Because its still plenty damn tough?

Lol.....

All you Har drivers think ur vehicle is sooooo worthless and weak? its not.
    • Up x 1
  11. Blarg20011

Yeah... a ten second TTK with an infantry weapons? To me that and "pretty tough" do not match.

EDIT: Oh god that's hilarious, the RL has a longer TTK than the SAW.
    • Up x 2
  12. ArcKnight

I'm not dumb enough to charge straight into a battle
  13. Tekuila

Yea I know they won't do it, but that is going to continue dragging this game down.

I'm sorry but all that video did was prove how trash it is.
  14. KnightCole

Lol, lasting 10 seconds? Thats a long damn time to be under sustained fire hitting you. The Har isnt a super tank, its a buggy. Sorry, it can be deadly and fast, but it shouldnt be that damn tough really. You Har drivers got used to the over OPness and now cant stand balance. Ugh...

Besides, 4 rockets lol? FOUR? really? Give me a break.....THAT is hella tough, its as tough as the Lightning......so yeah, Har whiners......**** with the har is UP and weak now. its not.....
  15. KnightCole

So now Harasser drivers think they shouldnt be able to be killed now to? Same as Air guys, you wanna be able to freely roam, ****, destroy, maim at will and have no fear of dying? Wanna have the freedom to rush into 48+ troops firing at you and survive?

It takes 112 rounds to drop the Har if it has no armor, 129 with max armor......only way thats going to have any speed to it is if a group fires at you. The Har should need to have some semblence of care used when driving it. Not a Super rambo car.

Hell, I hate how Tanks are and I dont think they need to be invulnerable. A well played group should and CAN kill MBTs quite effortlessly. The Har's guns can and DO kill very well, maybe less so now.

Tanks should be mid-long range murderers, Hars should be quick hit and run vehicles. Not hit, run, stick around....sustain gobs of fire and never die god machines.

Ive seen decent Har drivers rush by doing drive by's, limiting thier exposure to return fire, THATs how the Har should be played. harasser.....it shouldnt just drive up and sit in a hill, immune to return fire.
    • Up x 1
  16. Blarg20011

Look, I'm not even a Harasser driver, I completely acknowledge that they needed a nerf, and I acknowledge that the number of rockets it takes is excessive, however, I've seen several posts (and a tweet from Higby) that RL resist values are currently messed up. But anyway, back to the SAW. 10 seconds, from a single infantryman, is nothing. How often are there lone infantry in PS2? Almost never, usually there's 10, 20, or 100. If the Harasser really goes down that easy from infantry fire it is not going to be spending much time in areas where there are people shooting at it.

Anyway, like I said in another post, I'm going to see how this rolls out fro another week or two before I get on the nerf/buff bandwagon.
  17. KnightCole

If I was to join another bandwagon on the Har's armor id say give it better small arms resistance but FFS, make it DIE in 2 rockets...3 tops...and if an AP round from a Vanguard hits it....boom, dead, no more lol.

Heavy Ordanance should down it quickly, but small arms, I suppose I could go along with it taking a fair amount of it.
  18. Tekuila

You seem quite irrational about vehicles in general. Harassers shouldn't even take small arms damage anymore with this weak of armour, a random group of Derps really shouldn't be killing a harasser with carbines and lmgs.

Of course vehicles should be kill able, however it shouldn't happen really except by people of equal skill level.
  19. Paqu

Funny thing is that Harassers now needs to be afraid of even the "harmless" little Flashes.

Yes Iam aware they were already hurt, but I couldn't find a full health Harasser anywhere from one hour of playing as they kept blowing up so fast. Anyways full health really doesn't make much difference as it takes 12 shots (one full clip with extended mags) from Fury to kill Harasser. Max rank composite armor only lets them eat one more grenade making it total of 13 shots.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.