Is there any real reason to use the Kobalt over the Basilisk?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ned, Dec 18, 2013.

1. sustainedfire

He was indicating that he agrees, there is little reason to run a kobalt over a basilisk- if pilots had the ability to swap weapons at designated areas, then perhaps more people would use the kobalt, when situations are favorable for its use (and then swap back to a better or multi purpose weapon afterward).

Though I still think that kobalt is a difficult option to sell.
  2. Squibo

But.. you can change your max loadout at an infantry terminal as long as you remain a max unit..
  3. Poorform

Kobalt is and always will be a beast. That thing is godly against infantry at all ranges. I have one all the time on my sunderer. It is the anti-c4 fairy gun and sniper weapon for vehicles. Only obvious issue is no heavy armor damage but it can scare off harassers and esfs. Better all purpose gun, minus heavy armor, than the bassie imo.
  4. Zazulio

Before, it was because the Kobalt had a massive range advantage over anything else the Flash was capable of equipping, which made the Kobalt the only realistic weapon for a Flash operator who was actually trying to survive. The crushing control issues with the vehicle were able to be worked around to some degree when using the Kobalt because you could attack a safe enough distance to give yourself time to recover if you randomly spun out of control, whereas spinning out was a guaranteed death sentence if using a Fury or Renegade.

Now, though? I truly don't know. They introduced a massive cone of fire and hard damage drop-off to the Flash Kobalt that makes it a close-mid weapon instead a mid-long weapon. At close-mid, I can think of no reason whatsoever to pick the Kobalt over the Fury or Renegade.
  5. Ghostloadout

I'd love to ride on your Kobalt! *Hipster buddies*
  6. NoctD

Only moderately challenging... and the reason the Kobalt exists is to provide an alternative to the C85 Canister! :D
  7. supahitecjetfyta

the basilisk is horrid at long range work tho, spray and pray at 100m
    the Kobalt was lethal for as far as you could see with 2x zoom
  8. MykeMichail

Before the patch, the advantage was constant, slightly tighter cone of fire, with significantly increased rate of fire and massive magazine size (up to 150 rounds).

After the patch, the starting cone of fire is smaller, but it expands to a larger cone of fire, and the rate of fire increase is slightly less. So now its really just massive magazine sizes which give it an advantage (which is still significant).

But how I used it previously wouldn't work anymore. I literally used to aim at a point - doorway, over cover where enemy keep popping their heads out, next to cover, etc and held the trigger for a constant stream of bullets which mean anyone deciding to stand in that position for more than a few milliseconds was dead. Now, that will be much less effective as the spread will reduce the number of rounds hit.

I'll have to test it out, but I'm sure that for pure AI work, it will probably still excel, but how often do we get pure AI work when in a vehicle of any kind?
  9. sustainedfire

Try the new patch versions of basilisk and kobalt. (when the game servers are finally up lolol)

I only had the opportunity to try a basilisk, and I can say that the absolutely upgraded version was vastly improved, and I was hitting all sorts of enemies at various ranges.
  10. Poorform

I have one area where it's amazing. Plant your flash facing a doorway where you know enemies will come out from but do so from a good distance. You can rack up tons of kills basically being a longish range 50cal.
  11. Tuco

Well I just bought the Kobalt for my Prowler, because 75% of infantry are going to have the high ground on you

If you're being attacked by a Liberator at high altitude it really doesn't matter what gun you put on top.

IF you have a basilisk you have less gunner volunteers.
  12. Klypto

Exactly. You can't do that in a tank, it costs more to get one, and it can't be revived.

Guess that means we need a retooling facility at some bases so that the less than universally useful loadouts are used more often without screwing you over completely.
  13. Poorform

This.

I generally get more kills with any gun other than the bassie because they're more specialized. They don't have the flexibility of the bassie but I always seem to do worse with the bassie every time I man it just because of the jack of all trades trade-off. With a kobalt, yeah, you can't touch heavy armor, but you can scare the hell out of harassers and you can pretty well take on esf's. And of course you're golden against infantry.
  14. Tuco

Yeah and guess which part of infantry are sticking up when they have the high ground on you? Their heads, so with that headshot multiplier, oh yeah.
  15. Ned

True but trading the armor killing bonus for slightly better infantry killing is still meh
  16. Flharfh

Agree, nothing like having your gunner be completely worthless when you are engaged in a 1v1 tank duel or pelted by liberator shells. Might as well have him jump out of the tank and shoot HA rockets. At least for the Prowler, the only two competitive options in my view are the Halberd or the Basilisk.

The Kobalt would be a decent weapon on a harasser when you could just outrun an unfavorable engagement, but on a tank it is is too situational to be useful.
  17. Tuco

If you're being attacked by a Liberator, your secondary gun won't do you any good. The only drawback is against other tanks/sunderers, assuming you even have a secondary gunner.