Coming up with an NC loadout for Suppression / Support

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Argus002, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Argus002

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to come up with a good loadout for team-play, when I want to provide good suppression for my squad. This is a particularly difficult thing to do in PS2, but nonetheless has its place, and it seems that a good heavy assault loadout should have the potential to fill this role.

I'll start off by saying that Heavy Assault is the one class that I rarely ever play, and haven't yet certed into (aside from the Crow / Hawk, and some attachments for the trusty God SAW). So, with that in mind, let's first consider the best weapon for the job.

> Weapons
    What's everyone's thought on this? I'm thinking that, to effectively suppress, I need a weapon with a decent rate of fire, and low recoil so that it can be kept on target during prolonged fire. The standard Gauss SAW is wonderful for its killing potential, but it's difficult to keep up sustained fire in long bursts -- especially at range, and against targets that are behind cover, and relies heavily on high accuracy due to its low rate of fire. I'm thinking that damage is actually not so important as simply being able to "pepper" the enemy with lots of well placed bullets. In playing Medic, I'm often able to force people into cover even at medium range with my Blitz, merely due to my ability to spray 50 rounds at 850rpm, regardless of how little damage they're doing. By that token, we need something with more controllable recoil, high magazine capacity, and high rate of fire.

I'm actually considering the EM1 for this role. I've heard a lot of people dislike this weapon, but I'd like to hear opinions from people who've actually used it. It has a high rate of fire, extended magazines (I believe?), and low recoil. As I said, I'm mainly looking to pepper groups of players with large volumes of fire, so the low damage it does shouldn't be much of an issue.

The EM6 and Gauss SAW S are also possible choices, though.

> Shields and Suit Slot
    As far as suit slot goes, I'm thinking an Advanced Shield Capacitor will help to get me back in the fight more rapidly when fighting from cover, and be synergistic(?) with an overshield.

I know very little when it comes to overshields, though. I'm guessing a long lasting Resist shield would be ideal for longer exposure?

These are just my initial thoughts. What do you guys with more experience in the heavy assault class suggest for my goal of a support/suppression role in highly coordinated squads?
  2. ghostwalkn

EM6 and EM1 both get extended mags, although EM1 can equip SPA instead of HVA but does not get 2x RDS or compensator. They both get ALS so why use ex mags? Idk. EM6 is 167, EM1 is 143 with slightly higher RoF.

Guass Saw S is the most accurate of the bunch (with SPA), but can not equip extended mags and is base 75 clip. just basic laser/grip and gets compensator.

Default SAW may be lacking in RoF. For everytime you fire a bullet, there are 1.3 EM1 bullets.. so fire 3 200 dmg bullets or 4 143 dmg bullets - it comes out slightly less damage with the EM1 but then consider the likelihood of getting a headshot.

I would consider ASC and Resist Shield, absolutely. With RS, that means you're getting 40% of that damage negated and crossing that with -4 sec shield recharge, you'll last longer in a sustained fire fight.

That said, those times when your shield is down, is a great time to reload, so please do consider the NC6 SAW S - try it out in VR. It's basically an easier to handle SAW, has less sloppy recoil than the EM6, and more punch than the EM1 without giving too much RoF.

Close Range EM1 (Suppresor+ALS+SPA)
    Close - Medium Range EM6 (ALS +2x RDS+HVA)
    Longer Range Guass S (Comp/Grip/HVAorSPA)

Basically if you like to hipfire consider both the EM1 and EM6

If you don't at all, just get the Guass S because SPA (Em6 does not get that)
  3. Jogido

actually, it does have extended mags i believe.
  4. Schwak

For a suppression role I'd go with EM1 with resist shield grenade bandoleer and concussion grenades
  5. lilleAllan

Forget EM1. It doesn't have a high rof. It has an average RoF and subpar damage output. If you're not running adv laser, then there's no reason to get it over the EM6 except the lower price point.

Ext mags EM6 gives you:
    Higher DPS, higher damage pr shot, more damage pr mag, less horizontal recoil, lower first shot multiplier.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mxiter

EM6 with examag is the kig of supressive LMG: best damages per mags and longest mag dump.

The Lasher is nice too but it's
    -VS.
    -Not an LMG.
  7. FouckingBamn

For suppression... Use a suppressor!

Bad jokes aside.

Primary Weapon:
    NC6 Gauss SAW. It's a good option if ammo conservation is a good idea or if you can aim. 6-7 shots at range can down most targets.

EM1. Higher ROF makes it a good bullet hose. Throw an extended mag on it and you're good. Downside to it is its damage and ROF. Both kinda craptastic. Spraying into a crowd won't give you a whole lot of kills unless you're shooting at actual targets.

Suit Slot:
    Shield Regen thingy upgrade. I forget its name. But it's the one that decreases the time the shield takes to regen. If you're taking damage you need to be able to recover quickly. It's also cheaper than Nanoweave.
    Extra Magazines? The one that allows you to carry more ammo. I forgot its actual name, sorry. This option is good if you don't think you're going to be taking a lot of damage or if you have a medic to res you nearby. It's also good if that engineer near you is a dick or just forgot to switch out his tank mines.

Ability Slot:
    RS(resist shield) all the way. If you're suppressing fire then you're usually not going to die extremely quickly. As said by others in this thread it's good for sustained fire fights because it negates more damage and recharges more quickly.

Utility Slot:
    Med kits. Either one, take your pick. Inject yourself with one and taste the nanites. They also restore your health.
  8. TheBloodEagle

There's no point in trying to be a dedicated suppression teamplayer. Do it with any weapon such as shooting at a doorway while waiting for teammates to get near you or shooting a window. The only actual suppression weapon for infantry in game is the Lasher because it does splash damage. The tracer effects currently in EXTREMELY easy to spot. You'll just die by the time you do any good. There's no BF like suppression mechanic and people aren't scared to die at all. The best "support" as HA you can be is to be aggressive but smart, have a higher K/D and don't be afraid to charge.

Believe me, I've tried and actively tried to pursue change in the game to make LMG's act like actual LMG's and be worth it. It's a waste of time now that I've tried.

[IMG]
  9. Killbot

You are not picking an easy role to play. Your team that you role with has to be aware of your tactics as well as you need to be aware of theirs. If you have a consistent breaching strat formulated with a team it can still be mucked up by people not in your team. I.e. random people or going to run into that room you are suppressing and all you get in return is grief. Locking down a random door is just a temporary fix to a larger problem. So if you are going to suppress do it from the point or suppress their spawn options.

>Weapons
    NC6 Gauss Saw. I read what you said, but if you can master it it is the best suppression weapon. Considering the point is to make them fall back. A three to five round burst from this gun can drop a shield and dip into their health pool or kill them if you land a few headshots. This will make them retreat from a choke point and seek healing/pop a med kit. You are forcing them back to cover and wasting their time/resources, you know suppressing :p . If you are that set against the Gauss Saw then I would recommend the EM6. Decent damage, alright accuracy, and 200 in the clip makes it great for suppression.

>Shields and Suit Slot
    Up until today I would have strongly suggested nanoweave and resist shield. That seems to no longer be the case. I my self am considering Advanced Shield Capacitor, but am probably going to go for other options. For your set up I think flack would be best because all an enemy has to do to take you out of position is fire a rocket in your face. Grenade bandolier is also a great option for suppression. Being able to toss a few well thrown anti-vehicle grenades at an incoming max crash would disable that crash pretty quick. I don't recommend ammo suit options because if your in a team with an engie it becomes superfluous.
    Shields at this point: I am switching from Resist to Adrenalin shield. I am doing this for assault reasons so I don't think it would be the best option for you atm, probably Nanite Mesh would be best in suppression roles.
  10. Bankrotas

EM6 is better at suppression due to higher bullet damage, EM1 has not enough punch for NC style suppression and SAW goes too much uncontrollable.
    If trained EM6 is best at it damage wise.