Anyone here not care much for Esamir?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kimble, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Bonom Denej

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428109895932121441/killboard

Same here, I always find what I want on Esamir when I play on prime time and I kinda like the fact that tanks and such can't interfere much with the infantry when inside a base. I also really like The Octagon.

Looking at my stats, I noticed that recently I somehow only engaged battle with TR... I need to change that.
  2. gregfox89

Esamir is boring and cold. It's nice for farming infantry if you're in an aircraft. The Octagon = shooting fish in a barrel.
    Dogfighting sucks because the white sky makes my tracers hard to see.
  3. uhlan

At least the snow isn't yellow...
  4. Elrohur

I used to love Esamir and spend most of my time on it.
    Since they revamped it I cannot stand to fight there anymore. Those walls are awful and make me sick. Have someone spawn a sundy and lose 5 min reaching it from what is supposed to be YOUR base.
    The bases are just stupidly designed. Who decided to build them their without taking care of all the tree / rocks and stuff in them ? You're losing time to build pretty big walls, preventing you from shooting outside, allowing every LA to set up an ambush on your defensive stance, allowing planes to take cover from the Lock On etc., but you don't take care of those rocks that give cover to the people attacking you ?
    I can't find the logic in those buildings. Vehicles weren't such a pain in the old days and you had way better fights around / inside the bases.

If they wanted to change the bases to make them purely infantry fights they SHOULD have made them UNDERGROUND. With tunnels and elevators. It sounds more logical on an icy continent, if you have the technology and money, to build things down (no snow, better control of temperature etc.). Leaving the outside as it was. You then would still have the nice vehicles combat outside and you'd have prevented both tanks and planes from "bothering" the infantry fighting to get the base.
    • Up x 1
  5. Poorform

Esamir is fun for armor. It's a nightmare for infantry.
  6. John_Aitc

I dislike snow IRL, but really like Esamir. I have developed a comfort level with all of the bases there. It is the continent where I spend about 90% of my time. Yesterday on Connery, I stayed on Esamir even though we were 1% pop.

One of its best features which took me a while to get used to were the walls. (I never play LA) There are so many LA on Esamir and I have been shooting them out of the air so often that their 3 dimensional attacks do not phase me any more. I enjoy the nice slow floaty targets. I also like having a bit of protection from tank spam.

The new Freyr looks like it could be amazing. There were problems on the test server last Friday and Monday, so I have not been able to participate in the nightly play test, but I can't wait to try it soon!
  7. bubbacon

Hate it!...Walls, Walls, and more Walls. Every time I go there, I feel Like I just got shipped off to some Penal Colony...in Siberia.
    • Up x 1
  8. EliteEskimo

That's not combined arms, that arms segregation. Are infantry players forced to pull Sunderers or Galaxies for transportation? Nope deploy as nanites with a small cool down from base to base or have a squad leader use an ESF to fly where you need to be and use squad deploy. Do infantry need to pull AP tanks to counter HEAT and HE Tanks? Nope they are given 0 resource cost AV weapons which can take tanks out beyond the range tanks can see them or shoot at them. Do infantry zergs rush from base to base without proper allied air and armor support while destroying enemy armor and air they encounter at the same time? ALL THE TIME!

The ironies of Infantryside 2.....:rolleyes:

Oh, and old Esamir was better. Way better open field battles, the best place for huge tank battles, and infantry had a much harder time zerging from base to base by themselves due to lack of cover. Old Esamir rocked in comparison to what we have now.

Btw the following video shows how awesome old Esamir was, and what combined arms battles look like. Combined arms is infantry, air, and armor fighting on the same field of battle. When tanks reach giant derp walls with no courtyards they cease being useful, and staring at a Sunderer is not the same as helping infantry fight up to a building that holds a capture point and preventing enemy infantry from getting to that building.

• Up x 1
  9. Argus002

You made a miscalculation.
    "Good for Vehicle" necessarily equates to "Bad for Farm Objects... err, Infantry"
    Therefore, Indar = Bad for Infantry, Okay for Aircraft, Armor Spam to Win.

I also wouldn't say Amerish is bad for Vehicles. I usually have a lot of problems with huge tank zerg blobs there - but maybe I tend to fight in the more open parts of the map.

Esamir is actually quite good for vehicles. You just can't spawn camp with them (well, you can actually, just not as easily), and that's a very good thing.
  10. Argus002

"InfantrySide 2?"

I don't get all of these "Combined Arms" arguments. Do you try hoofing it on a consistent basis? It is impossible to stay alive as an infa-, err, farm object. Infantry have no place alongside armor currently. They are farmed in almost all terrain*. But don't worry, because even if you get to a base, you will still be farmed by armor from afar, and there are always revivable-walking-tanks, err, MAX units, to farm you indoors. Also, I hope you enjoy being shot in the back by SMG Infiltrators.

Everything is designed to kill infantry, but infantry aren't designed to kill anything other than, well, other infantry. They can't even hide effectively from what they can't kill. They are the severe bottom of the food chain, and are unable to fulfill their roles in any capacity that doesn't involve suicide. They're pretty much just there to drive vehicles and support MAXs, which this game revolves around.

Tank spam is NOT combined arms.

Sorry, I realize that I am an infantry player, and in that sense, just as bias as someone who primarily plays Armor. However, as such, I can tell you that infantry do not have it easy anywhere. To play as infantry, you pretty much need to resign yourself to the fact that you will die very repeatedly to things that you literally have no effective means of combating, or, in many cases, even avoiding.
  11. UberBonisseur

It's not.

It doesn't mean you should wall off all bases and add weird chokepoints (in the Esamir context, it's only natural on Amerish) to prevent that 20 tank horde from ravaging it, when the problem lies in the fact that there is 15 too many tanks.
    • Up x 2
  12. EliteEskimo

1. Do I try hoofing it on a constant basis? Nope I have a Racer 3 Prowler for that.:cool: Do I see infantry doing it all the time? Yup.
    [IMG]

2. Infantry aren't designed to kill anything but other infantry?:confused: So then the Heavy Assault which comes with a rocket launcher with an effective range greater than a tank and an Engineer has with an AV turret that can kill things from 600m+ away don't exist in the game? When tanks drive into Amp Stations they are self destructing and not being instagibbed from Jet pack infantry with C4?

3. If infantry are defenseless like you say they are how come a squad of infantry is a bigger threat to tank column than another tank column?

4. Quote me where I said tank spam is combined arms.

5. Infantry dying is almost meaningless outside of K/D, infantry cost 0 resources and have no cool down. You have weapons that can out range tanks, and by being a Heavy Assault you can be AA, AV, and and AI class all at the same time for 0 resources. You make infantry out to be so weak in this game, when in reality they are the biggest threat a Main Battle Tank will ever have to deal with.

13. Argus002

> UberBonisseur

Can't argue with that point.

My point is, that it is sad that you don't see infantry in open battles, and that they are solely restricted to base grinding fodder. You pretty much just supported my point here...

Rockets are useless in anything other than dedicated tone-squads. Even then, you need to have nearly a dozen guys locking onto the same target and firing simultaneously in hopes to kill it. Even so, you will only be mildly effective, and extremely vulnerable, whereas you could have pulled a dozen tanks and been neigh unstoppable. As far as individuals with rocket launchers are concerned, they pose no threat to armor, given the extremely small amount of damage they do.
    C4 is very situational, and is only useful for catching tanks that are being careless. Armor should not just be zerging down the streets. It should be back, and supported by infantry. If you do this, you will never need to worry about C4.

You're absolutely wrong here. A squad of infantry will be flattened by a tank column. Every time. Unless the tank column happens to be extremely careless and tries to run them over only to be C4'd.

Eh, t'was kind of implied, by implying that there are too many infantry already. I can only assume you want to see even fewer infantry and more armor.

Resources and cooldowns are hardly restrictive when resources regenerate so fast, and cooldowns can be certed into. This can be attested to by the sheer number of tanks and MAX units employed in this game. And the fact that I see the same guy I just killed come rolling right back up again. I wouldn't mind more penalties for infantry deaths, by the way - it would make people smarter and less suicidal. The entire resource system is largely broken, and encourages grinding and suicidal play, IMO. A system that made both infantry and vehicles more valuable would lead to more enjoyable play for both parties, I'd wager.

Also, keep in mind, that Infantry's only reliable way to take out tanks and MAX units is C4, which is highly situational, easily wasted, extremely risky to use, and costs 100 infantry resources per stick. To take out a tank usually requires two C4, doubling the risk of death (time require to place it), and costing 200 infantry resources (effectively half the cost of a tank itself).
  14. KnightCole

I love Esa over any of the conts. From what ive seen of it so far on PTS, I LOATHE Hossin already. Its a dark, miserable, impossible to traverse, shrubby covered cesspit of a nightmare to fight on. I dont see me going to it at all once its released. Hossin is so damn dark I couldnt see my Galaxy let alone anything else on it.

It doesnt look finished anyway, the Hunter's Stand or w/e, is it supposed to look like that? Its missing stairwells everywhere. Just railings between the buildings. Its a tree house...but wut!?

Its like Amerish plus 1000000000x more ********. Indar is pretty meh overall...idk why but I dont dig that cont a whole lot. I am on Esa when I can be.
  15. pnkdth

Each continent is supposed to have unique challenges. I like them all for various reasons but then again, I do not expect every continent to perfectly tailored for my style of play. Only reason I dislike Amerish is due to the incessant ghostcapping, which is a constant reminder that lattice, despite its flaws, is so much better. Alerts on Amerish is awesome though. Going to be interesting to see what challenges Hossin offers.