Are the red dot sights really this bad?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by General Sherman, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Being@RT

Every sight in game (including iron sights) that isn't an overlay.

So basically the only sights excluded are IRNV and high magnification scopes (6x+, iirc), and all of those have scope sway nowadays.

The reason VS reflex sights are complained about less is only loosely related to the issue this thread is on about; The VS reflex dot is smaller and so doesn't cover up the target as much.
    Plus another thing which I can't remember where I heard/read about and haven't checked myself so don't want to repeat it here either since I'm not 100% sure it's true.
    • Up x 1
  2. Greyfrog

I use IRNV on all my weapons, the delay can get you killed but I have been able to adapt to it. The sway is a non-issue for me, I dont even notice it.
  3. Being@RT

Speaking of scope sway: How does the game communicate CoF size increase to an overlay sight? Clearly it's not the sway, since that's always there.. and the crosshair always stays at center of screen..

Answer: it doesn't. And I don't think anyone here feels like it's needed either.
    • Up x 1
  4. Aegie

Yeah, I figured that you were probably well aware of the issue- my response was certainly colored by my personal opinion regarding this issue and the fact that after nearly a year of asking about this the best that Higby could come up with was a lame and completely transparent excuse.

I suppose I should have made it more clear that I was using the universal "you" and not the personal "you", especially considering that I posted it as a reply to your comment.

I mean, I understand that something like this might be really difficult to address after the fact but it still seems insulting to be given such a lame excuse because it basically assumes that we are idiots.
  5. Aegie

Yeah, but it seems clear enough that the sway and delay was put into place as a way to nerf the only reliable sight in the game so as to make it not quite such a go to for so many players. Just another example (like the infiltrator neglige) where instead of fixing what was broken they decided to break what was fixed instead.
    • Up x 1
  6. Being@RT

Hmm.. Maybe it's the answer Higby got when he went around asking for the explanation from the rest of the devs?

;)
    • Up x 2
  7. that_darn_lurker

The gun sights are that bad. They are f'n terrible. With so much crap going on at any given time I couldn't keep track of what I was aiming at, so I put tiny circular stick in the middle of my screen and it makes a huge difference. I may try the clear tape/colored marker trick to get more light to come through. I don't know how people play without some kind of visual enhancement like this.
    • Up x 2
  8. Santaris

Visual enhancement level: Small Stick

In any game it is imperative that the basic mechanics work exactly as intended. I don't know much about how reflex sights look or work in real life, but I believe the basic idea is that no matter the perspective of the shooter the little Red dot shows where the bullets will fly. That can't be very hard to get right in a game. In real life? That's ******* magic. Game? Easy.
  9. bubbacon

I was actually keeping this to myself, anyways...the cats out of the bag so to speak. I have pretty much gone to iron sights except for long range scopes. eh...do your own tests like I did, but there is no denying red dot sights are off. Iron sights are just more forgiving imo..

I caught on to this simply by noticing that most, if not all of the high end players on youtube were running iron sights or IR/NV. So take from that what u want and go with it.
  10. WorldOfForms

I got the impression from Higby's response to the original complaint that either:

a) He doesn't understand the issue. He sounded like he didn't "get" that what we are talking about is a fundamental difference in the way that bullets CONSISTENTLY fly towards a COF that sits in the center of the screen, and therefore do not at all match the animation of the gun sway, or...

b) He does understand the issue, but is reluctant to fix it for some reason and came up with an explanation that doesn't make sense.

Let's not forget the result:

c) This game could never take off with MLG with these joke aiming bugs.
  11. Liquid23

maybe it's because I have real life experience so I never expected any of the sights to be dead on to begin with because they never ever are... if they were than aiming wouldn't be considered a skill... once you notice they are slightly off, which anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together should notice quickly, just compensate for it... if you can't learn to compensate for this I have no clue how you deal with the wonky ballistics in this game to begin with
  12. that_darn_lurker

I meant small sticker! God-dangit.
  13. Equal2

There are better and more intuitve ways of implementing compensating and general gun handling.

I have no idea why you are so hostile and please explain why it should stay ? what are the posetives.

I come from a competetive backround and i can say that this wouldent fly in any other FPS community, and somehow in the PS2 there isent enough of an outrage to force the devs to fix it.
    And maybe this is one of the reasons the game is failing because most semi pro/serious gamers looks at this and laughs.

I am compensating because i know this is the case, but for a lot of people who just pick up the game and play have no clue this is even an issue. And as we know the majority of players dont lurk forums or investigate gun mechanics. And to their knowledge of any other fps out there the gun shoots where it aims and handle recoil at the best of their abilities.

Its just a tedious mechanic and leaves many players with a distaste for the gunplay.
  14. Metaltoys

My guns hit exactly where I point them, and I expect the weapons in this game to do the same. You probably shouldn't be shooting firearms if you don't know how to sight them in.
  15. Liquid23

if you believe that firearms than you have never held an actual firearm in your life nor do you understand even the basic physics governing ballistics

never said it should stay nor was I being hostile... just that I don't see it as anything other than a very minor issue and very far from the top of the list of things that need attention...
    • Up x 1
  16. kadney

For NC and especially TR: yes, they are bad.
    For VS: No, they are pretty solid tbh.
    I wish each faction would get a nice clear RDS like the VS got. But no, TR and NC don't have holographic sights in 2150(?).. but hey, we got NANITES! MURICA! *** YEAH!

/facepalm
    • Up x 2
  17. Vearo

How about using the MCG reticule, with a reflex sight overlay?
    It already exists, is simple, and displays current CoF while also stays centered when moving.
    Example:
    [IMG]

Excuse the awful Paint.net workmanship.
    • Up x 4
  18. Kociboss

@Vearo

At least better than what we have now.
  19. Vortigon

Sorry I can't let this go... you obviously have NO real life experience of firearms if you know nothing about sight adjustments.

You do realise that when you zero your personal sight system you are compensating for eyesight and grip so that with the correct range setting and windage allowance, your weapon you will hit EXACTLY where your sights are aligned? That is the entire point of adjustable sights lmao - go back to COD kid!
  20. Liquid23

no.... once you zero your sights there are exactly 2 points in the ballistic arc at which the round passes where the sites are set... even then it's not technically exactly dead on because it's a bullet not a ******* laser beam but it's close enough for it not to matter... it's why we have concepts like battlesight zero and why we learn how to compensate on the fly when making shots... it's also why long range shooting is considered a skill or even an art instead of just a basic task of pointing and stroking the trigger which any ****** could do
    • Up x 1