If you're going to restrict OHKs to 150 meters...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by xchainlinkx, Dec 4, 2013.

1. xchainlinkx

...then at least make it so headshots from bolt-action sniper rifles prevent people from reviving. Long-range infiltrators really have little to no influence when it comes to battles. If you implement such a mechanic it could potentially make sniping infiltrators a more viable, strategic option for the game.

(excluding the medium-ranged bolt actions with the lesser scopes)
    • Up x 1
  2. Inf1nite

I disagree with this because although it would be useful for the snipers, it would completely render medics useless in long ranged fights for reviving. It would be incredibly easy to be sniped and then you have to go to the nearest spawn point (which isn't always nearby). Instead I think they should increase the range to 200-250m since it takes skill to headshot at that range.
  3. Vaphell

yeah whatever, medics need a nerf badly either way because as it stands they make snipers useless. They still would have way too much utility indoors.
    You can't possibly keep up with their rezzing, scoring HS after HS. Rezzing needs a drawback, either popped heads should prevent it or/and it should require safety - if engineers can't afford to repair **** in the middle of action for 10 seconds, medics shouldn't either. Rez should take 5 seconds minimum if not 10.

Recent situation i killed a dude, i see a medic running towards the corpse. I think he wants to rez, so i'll wait for him with my rifle aimed roughly where he should be... and the dude just run over the corpse without as much as slowing down and 2 seconds later the other dude stands on his legs. I was like wtf is this ********.
  4. Inf1nite

I understand what you're saying but as a medic and infiltrator player my self I do know it's somewhat easy to evade one or two snipers in an open area with little cover while it's insanely easy to revive a guy with lots of cover. If there were many snipers targeted on me or if they had semi-autos I would be a much easier kill. I think the revive time should be raised by roughly one or so seconds so that way it doesn't take as long as a revive takes at no certs into the gun but it's not almost instantaneous with max medic tool. Medic movement should also get slowed by about 50% when reviving/healing as well.
  5. Pikachu

I try playing infiltrator a bit lately and testing the distance. Seems like most sniper range is between 150 and 200 meters.

Btw found a great spot today shooting at enemy sunderer terminal but no ally wanted to use that spot but 1. -.-
  6. disgruntled newbie

It's called medical applicator 6.

Frankly, the speed that (fully certed) medics revive at is necessary when people are getting-one shotted left and right, and even when they don't die in one hit, their life expectancy in combat is literally half a second. After you redesign the entire game so that players stay alive long enough that healing becomes a real service, entire squads aren't wiped out by a physics-defying doom buggy, and grenade-zerging isn't everybody's first and last door breach tactic, we can talk about a 10 second revive delay. Combat is cheesy and unfair, resulting in instant death in a majority of cases, therefore medic's revive is forced to be cheesy and unfair in order to be relevant to the pace of the slaughter.

Also I think snipers under estimate just how much of a pain in the butt they are and how much a good sniper shapes the enemy's topographic threat assessment. A sniper is less about kills and more about psychological deterrence.
    • Up x 2
  7. disgruntled newbie

8. Tenebrae Aeterna

While that last bit is partially true in terms of psychological deterrence (Lets face it...there's a reason people are frustrated with a balanced system.) I think everyone outside of the Infiltrator class underestimates just how easy it is to simply avoid becoming a sniper's target by actually moving. Also, keep in mind that killing is essentially all a sniper can actually do in order to obtain experience.

With that said, I don't feel that the concept within the original post is a good idea. While I sit here musing over the possibility and truly do see just how much it would benefit our class, and sniping in general, there's already an overwhelming amount of hatred for the one hit kill capabilities in general despite even long ranged sniping being perfectly balanced. Even with the range reduction, I imagine you'd have people screaming like you dropped their newborn child if we were to have capabulities to render a kill immune to resurrection.

Great idea, but we already frustrate people to the point that they plan to partially nurf us based upon frustration alone...this would make it worse.
  9. Vaphell

Citation needed. Maybe people would play more conservatively, not like complete idiots? Either way am i seing things or in pretty much any siege attackers have sunderers parked all over the place? Even if defenders are proficient in killing attackers they have really hard time swimming up the neverending stream of bodies, even without medic magic.
    1s rezzing makes the game shallow, encourages zerging, mech/max spam and spawncamping as dominant strategies. Throwing more bodies and more force multipliers at the problem is the only viable way to overpower the rampant necromancy. Skill means ****, you can kill 3 dudes in 1 mag and see them rezzed while you reload. How do you break a spawncamp if you can't possibly make a dent in the camper numbers?
    If it doesn't insult your intelligence and the certs are all you want it's ok i guess.

I'd love a redesign, thank you very much. This game slides further into cheesy arcady nonsense with no strategical layer to speak of with each passing day.

psychological deterrence doesn't buy you stuff. Now compare snipers to smg infs - who does more psychological damage?
    • Up x 2
  10. Hoki

Its just a terrible idea that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The reasons they provided for it were lame and incorrect.

I did a forum audit a few months ago and it turns out that people hardly ever die to sniper rifles.

Think it was like 1 out of 100 deaths were from sniper rifles. AT ALL. This included semi-auto snipers and there is no way of telling if they were OHKs.

I would be fascinated to know what percentage of player deaths are due to sniper rifles at 150+ meters.

Lets take it even further and find out the percentage of player deaths are from full health to zero health OHK headshots from 150+ meters.

Should we take a guess? Do you think SOE fearmonger devs will even bother look it up?
    • Up x 1
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

It's amazing how the majority of run and gun players say long ranged snipers are either getting kills extremely easy or not doing anything at all. Not only are we overpowered, but we don't do anything either...talk about a damn paradox.

With that said, balance lies in experience gained per hour. You take the experience gained per hour from the long ranged sniping players and compare it to the run and gun oriented players experience gained per hour, and there you go...that's your statistical comparison right there. If they're both on par, long ranged sniping is balanced with run and gun oriented gameplay despite being two completely different playing styles.

I imagine, however, that the communal experience per hour gain of long ranged snipers won't be on par with your average run and gun oriented player because long ranged sniping demands pinpoint precision. Initially, I believed my own framerate issues were due to a shoddy Dell Laptop and I was an exception with all my fps drops and lag bombs...but with these optimization updates, it's shown that many many people have suffered this. So, as optimization improves, you're going to see snipers increase in efficiency as well...and then we'll see where balance issues reside.

I think that we'll finally come into the perfect spot, and the whole "They don't do anything for their team" argument will quickly fade. I've detailed what we do in my other threads, and so long as the entire system is working properly...those high priority targets are the ones that we target most because they're the same targets that actually hold still the most...meaning that by helping our own experience gain we help our faction out simultaneously.
  12. disgruntled newbie

If this is leading up to a case for giving a lot more XP for kills with sniper rifles based on the range they were made at, then I am completely on board with this idea. Sniping is hard, and it does result in fewer kills per hour than running in with an automatic rifle and grenades. But to me the problem is an imbalance in effort versus payoff, not a deficit in the utility of sniper rifles. They're specialized weapons, but then, so are shotguns at the opposite end of the spectrum.
  13. i4PLAY

Hell no, I like it when they get revived. gives me yet another chance to kill them :)
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

We'll be lucky if they scrap the sniper rifle cap...they aren't going to reward us for increased distance. Unfortunately, the development team consists of run and gun oriented players that don't even like the one hit kill concept...so we're not going to be rewarded for choosing something they don't like. It'll be a blissful day just to have them go through with the nanoweave change and give us our full range atop of such...that's the best case scenario right there.
  15. Heyitsrobbie1984

Sorry but the thing that im about to say is probably gonna piss people off

but you cant recover from headshots :\ you shouldnt be allowed to.

medics need a nerf. sorry
  16. LownWolfe

Medics are so UP, I can't use the applicator on myself! Also, Assault Rifles are terrible, I'd rather have 2 beamers strapped together. They also don't get Bouncing Betties, which are way better than C4.
  17. K2k4

The medic's AOE heal is possibly the single most OP ability in the game, allowing medics to continue fighting long after other classes as they can heal themselves infinitely given enough recovery time (a few seconds). The fact that it heals teammates too is almost an unnecessary add-in.

LOL Bouncing betties better than C4.. I can't even remember last time I had a claymore kill a max unit, if ever. Let alone a group of enemies. I suppose this is a poor example since betties are better at the multiple-infantry-killing purpose than my TR claymores, but that's not the point.. With a little planning, C4 is much more reliable than the AI mines at killing infantry.
  18. K2k4

While I think that there should be some sort of aid to compensate us for this uncalled for loss of versatility, I don't think nerfing medics is the right way to go about compensating this... Perhaps just asking to have the OHK capability remain for headshot kills up to say.. infinity meters since the nanoweave armor was originally not intended to block OHK headshots in the first place (but was buffed which resulted in this whole fiasco). Oh well, I tried.
  19. LownWolfe

But medics need the AOE heal cause they can't detect players coming! I need the extra healing so I can get the kill. That and I give up my grenades for the revive grenade, I lose out on that explosive power for some teamwork nonsense.
  20. Xidaraf

when the sniper is further away it is harder to take shots but easier to stay hidden, when the sniper is nearer it is easier to take shots but it is easier to be seen. in other words
    maybe a ammo attachment that modifies the bullet so that it keeps people down from a head shot but with a reduced bullet velocity. and extra drop.