good vanu lmg for my play style help

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by darthraven118, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Rogueghost

If you're good at maintaining recoil the Flare is better, it gives more of a kick in exchange for killing faster, which is a fair trade.
    Although extended mags with the flare is a must, only way to make up for the very long reload for a 75 round mag.
    • Up x 1
  2. teks

Thanks, I always get them mixed up.
  3. Greyfrog

I still maintain the best long range weapon available to a heavy is the ES G2A Rocket Launcher. Keep your CQC LMG and your ranged ability. My evidence;

• Up x 1
  4. Booface

Yeah, just chiming in but everybody already hit the nail on the head. SVA88 is your go to option. Ursa is good too, it's basically a Flare without the kick on the first shot. You have to tap fire the Flare (or use its semi-auto fire-mode), but Ursa does fine without tap firing.

Keep in mind at long range with any automatic weapon you will be better off firing in bursts. The SVA88 and the Ursa mean you can fire off a good 10 rounds before resetting and still be pretty accurate, but don't blast full auto past 100m. Get Nanoweave so you can survive a headshot, control your fire, and you'll be out sniping snipers at 100+ meters in no time. Plus neither of those weapons is a CQC specialty weapon, but they're no slouches in CQC either, and with your shield you'll still outgun pretty much anyone but another heavy using a CQC weapon.

Also, yeah, the rocket launchers are a great all-range option if you can get accurate with them. Once you get the timing down and don't miss very often, you can basically use your launcher as your primary and keep for LMG for special circumstances like run-and-gun killstreaks. It's a guaranteed one shot kill, pinpoint accurate when aiming, still very accurate when moving and hipfiring, very predictable drop, plus with the decimator you can sometimes get splash damage one hit kills too. If you don't miss and use cover to negate its downsides, your launcher is basically the perfect weapon.
  5. RogueVindicare

How is it that this rocket launcher seems to have such high speed and virtually no drop? I can tell you the Vanu G2A launcher dumbfires IDENTICALLY to the standard S1 launcher, which has hella drop on it.
    • Up x 1
  6. teks

I can tell you it don't
    They modified A2G a good while back. They all fire faster and have less drop. nemesis 4 life baby!
  7. Xasapis

If you are a relatively new player (don't have an active SOE account older than 6 months), then you can have the SVA-88 for free. You just need a veteran friend to give you the welcome kit code. If you don't have anyone, just PM me and I'll give you one.
  8. Konfuzfanten

Great video!
  9. Prudentia

Polaris: Adv Laser sight/1x reflex/Softpoint
    Enjoy your Laserbeam at aany range, doesn't kill as fast as some other options, but has no recoil and is precise in burstfire up to 150 meter, with very short bursts even further.
    • Up x 1
  10. TownCryer8

You'd enjoy the Ursa, it's not got a lot of recoil and with extended mags you can just go to town with it. Plus the sound is super sexy.
  11. starecrow

Ursa for a specialized long-range LMG.

At long range it's a beast, tieing or maybe even eclipsing the SAW, due to better control and ADS Move CoF.

2x scope, ExMags or Grip, HVA
    or
    4x crosshair scope, Grip, Comp, HVA.

Aim for the head. With the upcoming NW changes, it's only gonna get better.

The NS-15M with Grip, Comp, HVA is also worth a look, though.

Also TownCryer is right, it sounds really good and satisfying :)
  12. Pootisman

Just read weapon descriptions ... Ursa is best LMG for medium/long range.
  13. Drol

Yep, Polaris is extremely underrated in my opinion and is by far the easiest lmg to use at longer ranges.
    SVA-88 is good for medium to medium/long but takes much better aiming past that and judging OP's request for low recoil etc i'd guess he'd miss too much at anything past medium ranges to be effective.
  14. Ghosty11

I have the Auraxium medal for all the VS LMG's sans the Ursa and Polaris (one day I may get the Ursa and medal it, but there is no way I will ever buy the Polaris in it's current form), here's my take on the OP's situation:
    For medium to long range the SV-88 with a compensator, grip and 2x+ scope works well. The nice thing about the SV-88 is that it's adaptable, throw on the laser sight and 2x scope and you have a decent short to medium range gun. The Orion is a beast in cqc, but the SV-88 is better as an all-round gun.

The Flare is a short to medium range gun that people who like to ADS and head shot with will enjoy.

The Pulsar LSW is not a bad gun, but it has a high first shot recoil, and lacks the attachments of the SV-88 (not to mention the lack of the 0.75 ADS speed).
  15. Erendil

Okay, so I looked at your profile to get an idea of the weapons you like: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428130184547325569/weapons

Your weapon profile shows that the weapon you have the highest kills with is the Corvus AR and the second highest is the NS-11A. Based on that, your desire for mid-long range combat, and your stated preference for low-recoil weapons your best option by far is the Ursa.

You've already at least trialed the Flare so you know that its pretty accurate but also has a pretty big recoil over time (one of the highest in the game actually). The Ursa has a lot less recoil, and is significantly more accurate than the Flare. In fact it's the closest VS LMG to the Corvus in feel, accuracy, and overall performance.

DO NOT get the SVA-88 in this instance. It's an awesome weapon and arguably the most versatile LMG in the game, but it does NOT fit your criteria. It's a high RoF bullet hose, and even though it can be accurate out to 100m or so if properly equipped, the Ursa will spank it in the accuracy department.

Oh, and if you're a stat freak like I am, here's a lovely google doc that breaks down each weapon's stats so you can do some comparisons yourself: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&type=view&gid=12&f=true&colid0=16&filterstr0=VS&colid1=17&filterstr1=LMG&sortcolid=16&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

I set up the google doc's filers to show just the VS LMGs, but it has every infantry weapon in the game so you can sort and filter it using the dropdowns at the top.
  16. Greyfrog

You can see in the video I hit a few people with the Nemesis. It didnt feel too different mechanics wise but the blue trail was annoying and occluded my view of the rockets trajectory. Still more useful than the S1 even if it does share the same velocity/drop as it can lock air and be dumbfired.
  17. starecrow

OP, if you're still reading:

After seeing your stats, you really don't need to buy yet another toy for $7.
    Practice with the Corvus, NS11 and NS15 and cert them out. Attachments are important, and at BR 22 you probably don't have certs just laying around.
    Your accuracy needs work, so stick with a few guns, cert and learn them until you get better. Play and learn from your mistakes, practice bursting and recoil management in the VR, watch streams/videos, and maybe optimize your settings for higher/smoother FPS.
  18. Crackulous

Lasher. Hahahahaha.