Reaper DMR, wheres the velocity?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by KnightCole, Sep 28, 2013.

1. KnightCole

Cuz wow, I got it today and the 550ms velocity is scary poor. Dmg is ok, but the velocity is horrid. And this gun is supposed to be a ranged rifle?
    • Up x 7
  2. hansgrosse

The velocity's not great, but it is workable for long range-use with a little practice and you have the option to use HVA to improve it a bit. Honestly though, I don't consider the Reaper to be the NC medic's long range option in the first place; Long range combat is Gauss Rifle territory.

For me the Reaper performs much better as a midrange face exploder, and this is what I believe it should be used for.
    • Up x 2
  3. KnightCole

This gun and Warden, both are supposed to be long range yet both have hte worst velocity.

Please SoE, atleast try to make sense.

Besides, how much does HVA increase the velocity? THe desc doesnt say lol. Wish it did.
    • Up x 6
  4. Nakar

The way I see it, the Reaper is basically mislabeled and misdescribed. It's more of a stick-and-move midrange gun that is best suited to the 2x Reflex; you hit with it, usually from a supportive position, then you immediately change positions while using the quick reload to assist you. But they call it a DMR, describe it as a long-range weapon, and give it HVA (which it probably shouldn't be using). It really isn't. The stock Gauss and the Gauss S are both more reliable at longer-range combat, especially on the move. The Reaper outperforms them when tapfiring, but generally speaking tapfiring is not the best way to go.

It's a gun that misidentifies what it is, and it isn't the only one. It also happens to have an incredibly narrow window of effectiveness. Compare it with the stock Gauss, which is more viable at a distance and up close, to say nothing of being free and having more ammo per magazine. The Reaper does have its advantages, but they aren't where you'd think they should be.
  5. DashRendar

• Up x 3
  6. lilleAllan

The Razor, a carbine, has faster bullet velocity than this thing.

I don't understand the "balancing" of the ACX11 or Reaper DMR at all.
    They're gimped by small mags, low dps and bad while-moving-accuracy. Do they really need to have super slow bullets as well?
    • Up x 1
  7. TheKhopesh

Ya, the Reaper DMR should have 25 round mags and a VERY high velocity. The thing has the kick of the Gauss saw when the saw has HV ammo attached.
    I don't even wanna think what the Reaper would be like WITH HV ammo.
  8. Kociboss

I agree. I was actually surprised that is has 550 m/s while a freaking TAR has 570 m/s.
    • Up x 1
  9. Epic High Five

To be fair, the Razor is also the best carbine we have and one of the best in the game.

The Reaper DMR is a monster at midrange, but suffers from the fact that the Carnage is just as beastly there while also being extremely good up close. The Gauss Rifle is also as good at midrange while being better at longer ranges.

I think it'd be a fun alternative choice if it just had a bigger mag. I mean seriously, it already has a heap of downsides to make up for 33 extra damage per bullet - **** velocity, tiny mag, 500 rpm, monster recoil for an AR - it seems a bit unbalanced. I think the 500rpm is a big enough drawback with a game like this, and it should have a full 30 in the mag. I'd settle for 25, though
  10. disgruntled newbie

I don't understand why the Reaper is an automatic weapon at all. The Reaper and the battle rifles should be very similar to the semi-automatic scout rifle of the infiltrator in my opinion. Bigger magazine but a little less accurate and without the long range optic options.
  11. Bill Hicks

The funny part is that HVA ammo does almost nothing. Sony devs completely overvalued damage at the cost of all other stats.
  12. Bill Hicks

gauss rifle long range what????!!!!!
  13. Epicstrat

Complaining about low bullet velocity? Impetus and SAS-R have bullet velocity of 500ms and they're sniper rifles with no HVA available. Bullet velocity in this game is generally on the low side.
  14. KnightCole

yup, just like World of Tanks did with the American T34 Heavy tank. It was decent at Tier9, but it goes to Tier 8 and because it has 400dmg, when there are several other tanks with 390, they turned that tank from a mobile fast firing weapons platform into a lethargic, obese tub gut of a tank with nothing going for it but the penetration and damage of the gun.

Its like Damage is the only stat anyone cares about. lets screw all the other soft stats like handling, accuracy, cof spread, hipfire, recoil, aim time, reload, mag size, velocity.....but because it has good Damage, omg, lets overnerf the hell out of everything else.

Yet another reason the EM6 is a beast, it has a pretty good balance of everything, not to great in any one category. Accuracy? Good enough. Damage? Adequete. Handling? Pretty good. Mag size? plenty good enough. CoF Spread? seems to be decent enough.

Then the Gauss SAW, its leaning a bit to far towards just having damage, lacking other factors such as RoF, handling and Accuracy on the move.

T9 CARV is another gun, leans to far towards RoF but gives up alot of accuracy and CoF spread for it.
  15. Singed

Reaper and it's carbine equivalent both need a bigger mag and a higher velocity.
  16. Lucidius134

isn't 550 stock semi-auto and bolt action velocity with less drop than the snipers?

Makes sense to me anyways. I had fun using the reaper on PTS w/ comp/foregrip. The recoil was manable enough that you could go full auto at mid and burst at long.
  17. hansgrosse

Also dat turret armor! T34's still an amazing tank for hull-down warfare 'cos it's got a pretty magical gun performance/gun depression/turret armor combination. Not a great tank for leading an assault with, but pretty incredible on the defense.

More on topic though...

Yes. The Gauss Rifle is the NC medic's best long-range option. Imo, of course. :p

The Reaper is still workable at range, but is generally more difficult to hit moving targets with.
  18. Booface

Except for the top tier rifle, sniper rifles have 550 velocity or less (several have just 500, including some bolt actions). And, because they're sniper rifles, they actually have more drop. You can learn to manage with the Reaper. Just because the TAR is ridiculous doesn't mean that the Reaper needs a buff.
  19. TheKhopesh

Yes, given the low ammo of only 20 rounds, as well as bad movement accuracy and low DPS, I think it should have a velocity of about 700 m/sec.

Same for the battle rifles (Maybe the VS battle rifle's velocity should be a bit lower, as it has no bullet drop which is AMAZING for a ranged weapon).
  20. TheKhopesh

I find that the gauss rifle is a good ranged weapon, but if you want a weapon that is GREAT at sustained fire at range, the Carnage BR is one of the best AR's an NC medic can get.

The fact that it's the only gun in PS2 that can get the compensator, the Advanced Forward Grip and the Advanced Laser Sight alone makes it a VERY versatile all around weapon. Then throw on a 143 damage 750 RoF to boot.:D

It's excellent for long range, CQC, and everything in between.

For longer ranges:
    Use the compensator, the advanced forward grip, and whatever scope you prefer (And the only NC gun that can keep up with the superior accuracy and RoF of most VS and TR weapons).
    With these, it has pinpoint accuracy even at the 8th to 10th shot going full-auto.
    It's 600 m/sec velocity and 750 fire rate means you can pepper your target and -usually- kill him before he knows to go for cover.

For closer ranges even up to CQC:
    Use the suppressor, advanced laser sight, and keep the NV scope on it just in case some total tool decides to start lobbing smoke.
    It might not have that extra 50 fire rate, but the carnage can put out damage nearly as well as the GR-22, and with less damage drop off should you find need of it along your way.
    Plus, as the Carnage BR and GR-22 handle quite similarly, by the time you get the Carnage to Auraxium you'll already be used to the handling for the GR-22.