Concerning faction traits...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Epicstrat, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Epicstrat

The infiltrator is severely lacking in faction specific weaponry. All sniper rifles are essentially reskins of each other an dont carry any trait (ok some vanu one have no bullet drop) and the same goes for scout rifles. Why is this? Why weren't the Infiltrator's arsenal made unique per faction like ever other class? The assult rifles, carbines, and LMGs in this game are different depending on faction but not snipers or scout rifles.

Here's an example: I always thought the NC scout rifle should be more like the Reaper DMR. High damage, low rate of fire, long reload, low magazine size. Likewise I always thought the TR's should've been more like the SABR-13. Instead they were made identical in stats.

This just bugs me a lot. Every other class gets to feel their factions traits, but not infils. Everyone (it seems) is complaining "blah blah NC trait suck" (not agreeing with them) and I can't have a word in this conversation despite me almost exclusively playing NC because I have 92% infiltrator playtime and I'm not really sure how the faction trait is good or bad.

Someone's going to bring up smgs, I'll address that now.

1. Not unique class weaponry, even if they are "unique faction trait weapons" the infiltrators exclusive weapons don't hold these traits

2. The smgs don't really have the traits of their faction. Blitz = high rof and magazine size? Ok NC... You stole this from the TR and painted it blue.
  2. Jawarisin

Haha, well, they arn't exact copy. I'm, like you, An infiltrator only player. I play as vanu, and I can see the difference trying other factions. Currently, vanus smg are not as strong as their counterparts, although scout rifles are stronger. Why? because of our traits.

Otherwise, balance would be hard with all unique weapons I guess
    but that's just my thingy
  3. Epicstrat

Ok, I guess I under estimated the significance of vanu bullet drop or the lack thereof. But the NC and TR ones are identical, and the vanu ones lack their other characteristics (isn't accuracy the one? ADS movement speed? Can't remember...). I dunno, playing infil is too much of the same on all factions.

Here's some ideas for the snipers I guess...

NC: simply makin them higher damage won't work here, and I can give them a shotgun for a rifle (lol) so I guess NC could get a small multplier for body shots (1.2x multiplayer would leave a 1000 hp target with 40 health when taking full damage from a longshot), not enough to OHK, but enough to finish off targets with a little damage taken. Balanced by lower magazine size (3 for bolt actions, 7 for semi auto) and a horribly slow rechamber and reload time.

TR: larger magazine size (10 for bolt actions, 20 for semiautos)and faster rechamber. Would have to give their rifles a special multiplyer to do this. Offset by doing less damage then both other factions, still enough to kill with headshots, but need 3 bodyshots instead of two on nonwounded targets.

VS: very high bullet velocity with charge up mehanic (kidding). But yeah, high bullet velocity, 700-900ms depending on rifle. Normal magazine size and rechamber speed.

As for scout rifles, I think the automatic ones should be more like the factions long range assult rifle. Sorry, but I only know that the Reaper DMR (seriously its a marksmans rifle, give to infil!) is the one for NC. Not sure of TR or VS counterparts.

Not sure what to do with semi auto scouts.
  4. SnipersUnion

Actually The Cyclone is the hardest hitting out of ALL of the SMG's and has a slow ROF - Which is exactly the NC's faction trait.
    • Up x 1
  5. Singed

Gotta disagree. The Sirius/Blitz is the best SMG because it has a decent ROF for a 125 damage weapon and a good magazine size of 50. It strikes a nice balance between capacity and ROF. TR have the weakest because we have to choose between the two.
  6. Epicstrat

Yes but I also said I wasn't counting smgs because they are an all class weapon and not a class specific weapon. The uniformity of the class specific weapons is what bothers me.
  7. OldMaster80

Faction traits have more to do with players perception than real pro and con of each weapon. Factions traits simply do not exist. Then when weapon stats are not exactly the same there's alway someone complaining (this is OP please devs nerf it blah blah blah).
  8. NovaAustralis

Agreed.

It would be cool to get something like:

NC: Railgun Sniper Rifle - Long charge up / reload, low bullet drop, small magazine, high damage.

TR: Burst Fire Sniper Rifle - 3 round-burst, all three rounds land very close to each other, each round low damage but all three = decent damage, short reload, medium magazine size.

VS: Frikin' Laser Beam Rifle - no drop, long range, medium reload / charge up, medium magazine size.
  9. Spude

Except Sirius is best SMG atm. Second highest RoF 845 and mag size of 50. The only smg that beats sirius in rof is armistice 896 with mag size of 30.
  10. BobSanders123

ДА
  11. Darkelfdruid_LOL

God help you all if vanu get a charge up sniper.

No really if you guys are correct....

I shall make a char on each of your servers and farm you for months -_-....

God oh god I hope you all ******* wrong about the vs charge up sniper ;_;

STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS.
  12. ZillFattak

We could give it a special humming sound you can hear from 50-100m, so when it charges up everyone around can hear there's a sniper around. Oh, and make the muzzle glow in a very bright purple when charging. Preferably visible even while cloaked. :p
    • Up x 1
  13. LownWolfe

When have they listened to us?
    • Up x 2
  14. Jawarisin

meeeeh, i have the auraxium on the artemis, the eridani and the sirius. Honestly, the sirius isn't actually that much better. It really depends on the situation.

The artemis is great, except against heavies with upgraded shield. Your measly 24 bullets just wont kill them :/

Eridani is nice overall, wish you could have foward grip though

Sirius is a bullet hose, sweet when you're in their face, but it lacks a little something as soon as the person hits low-medium to medium+ range.
  15. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Well never... :( but...

Honestly I have a bad feeling about this charge up ****. It seems like it has been a ******* core of VS weapons.

So you know what. Hey Zill -_-

NEW TR BOLT ACTION SNIPER RIFLE:

The new Terran Republic Bolt action sniper rifle will have its own special ability. It will now be able to be 'locked down' in place to increased bullet velocity. When in lock down, the sniper will now kneel and will not be able to move - only turn 90 degrees from where he is looking to each direction. The velocity increase is 50m/s

5000sc
    • Up x 1
  16. Inf1nite

Ok this would be insanely easy to use and give Vanu infiltrators a HUGE edge for sniping. With the new nanoweave patch coming in (yay) no one will stand a chance against Vanu snipers with nearly 1000ms and OHK within 150m. Personally I like the sniper rifles and scout rifles are like right now but they could be changed a bit more for the characteristics of each faction.
  17. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Actually may not be a huge advantage if any advantage at all. Charge up = absolutely no chance at targets who are running around like insane individuals who are trying to avoid your shots. Not only do you have to lead, you have to take into account the charge up.

And the extra bullet speed for stationary targets is almost useless imo.
  18. Tenebrae Aeterna

The problem lies in the general lack of faction flavor, rather than the weapons themselves. Instead of truly distinguishing the three empires through some unique technological variant...they chose to try working through simplistic statistics out of fear towards imbalance. The problem with this is that we now have three factions that don't really FEEL like they're different from one another beyond the trivial statistical variations and aesthetics.

TR:

The Terran Republic should have emphasized the mechanics that they use now, but far more geared towards the extreme. Every last weapon within their arsenal should have had an automatic fire mode with some having an optional three round burst for those situations requiring a little more finesse. During fully automatic weapons fire, their recoil and bloom would be fairly extreme...but the sheer volume of ammunition that they can pump out would provide a perpetual sheet of nano-steel. This would leave them extremely adapt at laying down suppression fire, and their burst firing modes would permit them a little control in the situations that required a bit more finesse.

NC:

The New Conglomerate would have focused entirely around coilgun based technology. What this means is that they would wield the most devastating weapons within the game, sporting high damage and velocity projectiles that pierced through the initial target and continued right on through any additional targets directly behind them. Each body pierced would reduce the damage inflicted to the next...and the velocity of the projectile. Such devastating power doesn't come without a cost however, and their price would extremely low magazine sizes followed by a very low firing rate due to the charging mechanic (research coilguns) of their weapons between firing. This would mean that every shot fired by the New Conglomerate would be extremely devastating to the enemy...but also extremely important, each shot counting due to the time sinks incorporated into the weaponry.

VS:
    The Vanu Sovereignty are the more technological faction amongst the three, and it's time to start truly emphasizing that point through the weapons that they use. So, while the TR have their extremely high ammunition and rapid rate of fire and the NC have their devastating piercing rounds...the VS focus more around a mechanic that's a bit more complex. Their projectiles interact with the enemy shields, causing them to lash out to surrounding infantry; what this means is that a percentage of the damage dealt to an enemy shield will actually transfer to any infantry that's close to that initial target.

If done correctly, this would incorporate a very unique mechanic into the game the Vanu players must decide on finishing off a fully shield depleted target or switch to another in the hopes that while assaulting that particular enemy...the area of effect brought about by the new targets shields will kill the initial target that they chose to switch from. At times, it might be prudent to switch targets to another fully shielded individual...and others, you might be far better suited to finishing off that adversary even though their shields have been fully depleted and you won't be lashing out to surrounding opponents.

NS:

Nanite Systems weaponry should have been designated as the default weapons that players start out with, a means for them to get better acquainted with the core mechanics before they progress on towards the faction flavored arsenal of their faction. Imagine if, for example, the New Conglomerate would have started off with Nanite Systems weaponry instead of their faction specific arsenal upon the initial release of the game; the transitional process would have been far smoother and they wouldn't have been so slapped in the face by the extreme degree of skill incorporated into their weaponry through the high recoil and what not.

Further Nanite Systems weapons could have been added into the cash shop for purchase later on, but there should have been starting weapons implemented as the default arsenal for every faction from the start. This would have also ensured that players could have stuck with the faction they loved, even though they may have not nessisarily liked the faction flavored weaponry. The majority of the weapons incorporated into the factions during the progression of the game should have been faction flavored and geared towards the concepts listed above...but those initial default Nanite Systems weapons and whatever Nanite Systems weapons incorporated into the cash shop later on would have been the tether that kept all three factions together as a single race...humans that diverged from one another into three distinct empires.

This is how it should have went in my opinion, and it would have given us a great system for weapons and a unique feel to every faction. When you played the Terran Republic, you wouldn't feel anything akin to any potential New Conglomerate or Vanu Sovereignty alt you might have...and vice versa. Your faction would have played differently and felt differently to every other faction in the game, and that would have instilled even more pride in your chosen faction.

Planetside 2 is a real time strategy atop of the first person shooter core, so drastic faction flavored concepts like this COULD have been accomplished and been far more interesting in my opinion. This could have been applied to sniper rifles, shotguns, every weapon type in the game.
    • Up x 1
  19. ZillFattak

Well, I don't think this will make any difference to the current situation on Ceres. Most infiltrators I see on TR are standing still while uncloaked anyways (not that NC and VS are any different):rolleyes:.
    You might see me play NC and VS more often to have some nice TR infiltrator farming sessions though.
    Did I mention I will just keep using my TSAR-42 on my main char in such a case? :)
  20. ADUILO

Those ideas are great. I really like the NC one (maybe because I'm NC), but I suggest that the other two have the range cap and the NC one doesn't. Because, you know, it's a coilgun...

Why didn't I include the NS one, you say?

I really dislike the idea of each faction starting out with NS weapons, and NS having a rifle that's same as the Bolt-Driver (i.e. the low-end BASRs) is pointless, since all of the factions have them.