FOV Changes Are A Mistake Right... Right?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by WycliffSlim, Nov 22, 2013.

1. skifton

I like the FOV changes; however, they do need to dial it back a little.

The cockpit of the ESFs is ridiculous-looking, and if they keep this FOV change to the fullest extent they have it now, they'll need to change the geometry of the cockpit itself to account for the change in FOV.

Also, aiming reticles are no longer accurate to the spread of the main cannon. The circle (in the case of rotaries) isn't nearly small enough. Aiming at things at a distance is completely ridiculous.

All that said, I love the feeling of going faster and it does make it look more realistic and cool. They just need to dial it back a little.
    • Up x 1
  2. skifton

It does pose some problems for aircraft.

In regards to the slider statement, that might make the flying/driving experience quite a bit different for different players, something I think SOE wants to stay away from to a certain extent. We don't want graphics changes to change gameplay too much.
  3. daniel696

4. RemusVentanus

The new FoV is great! Tanks really need that increase in FoV (patch it to live now SOE! :D ) and flying is actually fun with it.
    • Up x 2
  5. daniel696

The most weird thing now is when you look down you can't see you legs or hands, this immersion problem has grow with the FOV increase LOL
    • Up x 4
  6. Chemicalnurd

Good point, but you could argue that it's no different from a person's mouse sensitivity effecting gameplay - players who get used to a lower sensitivity might be able to be more precise at long ranges, players who prefer a higher sensitivity could perform better in CQC as they've got a higher turn speed, etc. Similarly people playing with different aspect ratios get somewhat different experiences (compare the awareness from playing with a triple monitor display to playing with a single 5:4 display), and that's never been considered much of an issue.
    I don't think the effects from changing your FOV in vehicles would be any more pronounced than that, unless you made it so wide or so narrow that it's uncomfortable for you to play with. The only issue I've ever seen with FOV sliders that could cause issues for the dev team is when, for example, your arms either look all stretched and weird (See Deus Ex Human Revolution) or they clip through the camera in a generally ugly way (See Chivalry: Medieval Warfare).
    Sure there can be very marginal downsides to changing your FOV otherwise, but that's just a sacrifice you pay for wanting a better looking / more comfortable game - it's the same with lovely graphics with lots of visual clutter vs horrible, but clear graphics.
  7. iMartyr

I want these changes
    • Up x 2
  8. HydroBIG BANG

Id prefer they just add TrackIR support for aircraft and make the vehicle FOV adjustable.
    • Up x 1
  9. NoctD

Sometimes I wonder what goes on at SOE - there's a lot of things they could better spend their time on than changing the FOV and cockpit looks?
  10. Cswic

Change is horrible. Makes everything smaller, maneuvering will be less precise as a result.

Makes 3rd person view cross over from suspension of belief territory into "lol I can see everything lolol" territory.
  11. NoctD

They want to make your whale look and fly like a sundy. I don't know if anyone bothers driving a sunderer in 1st person, cause the view is just that bad.
  12. Gav7x

Well i have got used to it, harrasers and sundys are controlled by telepathy, since the driver has no hands and they dont move the steering wheel
  13. Backf1re

That's because your laying down on your belly (planking) when in the ESFs.
  14. Rogue1138

I for one have been waiting for this for a long time! Now I can finally play in eyefinity properly without being all zoomed in. All they have to do is implement a slider so we can adjust it and make the max whatever it is on test and it should suite everyone. Looks great though IMHO
  15. NoctD

No offense meant but that's precisely an example of how pointless this is as far as a waste of resources - I suspect about 0.1% of the PS2 population is using eyefinity.

There's just so much more SOE could be doing right now.