Sniper Changes are RIDICULOUS. Good job SOE.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darsh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. LT_Latency

I don't understand why people are mad,

The Planetside 2 sniper is better then say the BF snipers.

In PS2 you can heal yourself and you can stealth so you can get closer and gives you more time to take a good shot that have a higher chace of killing. This Lets you fight at a range where you can get tons of kills very quickly and escape if you get into trouble

In BF you can shoot from longer but you can't heal yourself and there is a bright light that lets everyone know where you are. So they can start shooting at you and suppress your *** so you can't even shoot straight.

The ps2 version is WAY WAY better IMO
  2. GunsmithJoe

Cloaks don't last forever.

Are you trying to tell me that, after having dealt with one single, lone infiltrator, you would just leave your vehicle? Wow, you really do waste resources! I should come join your server, I think I could be quite effective there. Just out of interest, what do you suppose the counter is to rocketpodding ESFs?

For my reckoning I get:
    - Lightning with Skyguard
    - Burster Max
    - ESF
    - Cover
    (heavy assaults and other vehicles with anti-air are more deterrents than counters)

Also, if I'm annoying you, then I'm doing my job. I've taken your focus off of my squad that's attacking and now have you hunting me, hopefully even pulling you away from the fight. Snipers have typically been touted as force multipliers. It's not so much that we increase the capabilities of our squads, but we decrease the efficacy of the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  3. Trebb

You guys can argue until you're NCBlue in the face, but just look at what SoE appears to be doing.

Between the flak buff, the HE nerf, shotgun nerfs, the upcoming UBGL+Flak=No One Hit Kill, etc, they seem to be removing sources of OneHitKills. That is an indisputable trend. Take that as you will ;)
  4. MarvinGardens

Personally I like pulling a LA and hunting that sniping son of a ***** down. Usually they're so focused on long range sniping they don't notice me flying up to the plateau behind them and proceeding to murder them. Or just pull a sniper of my own, snipers are really easy to snipe and they have to keep a look out on a larger area than I would have to as a counter sniper.

I don't see why so many people have a problem with them. If they frustrate you that much, kill them. If you say you "don't have time to deal with them" then either:

1) They are inconsequential to what you're doing at the time so why would you care what they are doing?
    2) You are lazy and just want other players to do it for you.

If they are actually distracting you from the task at hand, whether it is capping a point or assaulting a base, then they are doing their job and helping their team. Rendering them ineffective at long range would be like getting rid of tanks because no one could be bothered to pull AV. Or getting rid of ESF's because no one wants to run around in a Flak Max. Why force infantry combat into 150m? I hate it when games dictate how you should play instead of just letting you find a niche you like and playing how you want to play.
    • Up x 2
  5. MarvinGardens

Odd that. Even without OHK, there's still tons of things that will kill you before you have a chance to do anything. SMG's, Shotguns, Maxes, etc. will slaughter you the instant your computer is notified that you are getting hit. By the time my computer gets the packets from the server saying that you are shooting at me, I'm already pushing up daisies. What's the difference between that and getting sniped? What's the difference if they used one bullet or ten if I'm dead in an instant anyway? Skill necessary? I daresay it takes more skill to kill me with a head shot at range than it was to spray me with an SMG.

But you're right. In the end, it's SOE's call. Whatever vision they have of Planetside will come to fruition, regardless of our Forumside battles. I just hope I like it after all is said and done. I also hope my friends will like it too, because without them the game will get a lot lonelier for me... And at least one of them is a hardcore long range sniper. It's what he likes to do. In fact, it's pretty much all he does. He will not be happy if they do actually nerf long range sniping. If one of us gives up Planetside, we all might have to move on. It'll be really crappy for me because I sunk a whole lot of SC into Planetside 2, more money than I put into any game in such a short period of time. But you have to play what your friends are playing you know what I mean?
    • Up x 1
  6. Fabien

Are you for REAL LT?! Man this is a Fist Person SHOOTER of massive scale! It's EXPECTED to be flanked, out maneuvered by someone / some outfit at any time - or, be sniped when derping around instead of being tactical & being in cover!

Seriously man this game clearly ISN'T for you lol - This isn't Quake with 8on8 where you always have an idea where EVERYONE is. I mean even in towers you get peeps dropping from higher floors with shotties and you're dead before you knew it - you going to cry NERF on that? Same deal, some guy you never saw, heard or had the chance to hear or see totally pwned you.

-- ok what if it's a tank at long range that roll's up with a good zoom and shoots you from far distance? See what I doing here?

Massive scale is the key word, deal with it or go play a smaller sandbox game. And stop trying to make this game NOT massive with player choice on his tactics. FFS grow a pair and accept being killed for being out in a field running in a straight line.

Kids these days I swear!!

/rant

-- color added to make it look pretty
  7. LT_Latency

Uuummm YOUR the one complaining about the way the game is NOT me. The range of the sniper rifle has been like this for a LONG time. You fight inside 90M because of nw5

So maybe the game is not for you, because the current state is be design and your the one complaining

This is a buff to bolt actions BTW they are most effective at 75-150 where they are now stronger wuth these changes
  8. Benton!

If a player wants to have fun sniping, let them. It's a game.

Counters? well, ESFs, Vehicles of any sort with thermal, other snipers, other infantry, lashers, hell, why not just get some cover...
  9. LT_Latency

This is fair, The main reason is stealth. You just can't see the snipers aiming at you until the actual shoot at you. Possible in the future they can add a suit that boost head shot damage instead of giving you stealth so people who want to snipe at long range can.
  10. Raraldor

ESFs and vehicles with thermal (which apparently don't see you while cloaked so you have a counter to what you think to be a counter that is available form the get go) cost resources and is something every infantryman dies from. It's something you can't take on as a single person in the first place so it's hardly something I'd call a counter.

A person grabbing sniper just to snipe someone who does it for a "living" won't have any luck. They'll be standing around trying to get a bead on you as you cloak, move, uncloak to take a shot you aimed beforehand, and the cloak again.

Infantrymen can't do a thing to you. I mean yeah they can fire at you, but at the range you're wanting literally 4-6 shots out of the entire clip will hit you, while they are slowed down by scoping in and making you pay attention to them. That's not a counter, it's a death wish.

I don't really get how lashers are a counter, I mean all it does is make you move to a slightly different area. That's just a nuisance.

As far as cover goes, they find cover and wait a few seconds while staying out of the battle and you find a different target. You are completely safe and nothing has impeded you in any way.
  11. Benton!

The "Snipers Are OP" argument is one of the saddest things ever. You have people complaining that snipers are worthless, then turn around and say they are OP etc.

Pathetic.
    • Up x 1
  12. Raraldor

I've killed many people as cqc infil and as a sniper. I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm pretty damn good at both, and know how dangerous the class can be at far ranges in the right hands.

I was very much okay with how the current system worked, nanoweave 2(though I would maybe bump it up to 3 myself) was a very easy to get counter to one shot kills. It was simple and it worked.

With how they are changing it now though, good or bad, there is literally nothing stopping the good snipers if they are allowed to headshot from 150 meters away, except for vehicles which stop everything (and we can cloak and hide from them) and their own hubris.
  13. Negator

so thats a no on the education part?
  14. Negator

hehe, righto buddy. Do us a favor, go look up how to calculate TTK, then check those weapons damage values, then just to top it off, post us a vid of you successfully engaging targets at 100-150m with a SAW or razor.

please. do it for our luls
    • Up x 1
  15. Flapatax

No dude, he knows the most overused and neckbeardy Shakespearean quote heard in every sitcom ever. Amurica.
  16. starecrow

Those are counters to infantry in general, not specific counters to snipers. Posting this makes you look like you have your head very far up you own behind.
  17. Benton!

And there is EVERYTHING stopping them from headshotting past 150m. You are adding a range restriction to a long range weapon. Thats like adding a 25m restriction to battle rifles, or only letting SMG's deal damage past 50m. It's ridiculous. Add more scope sway or something, but artificial restrictions like this is just sloppy game balance.
    • Up x 1
  18. Benton!

Snipers are not infantry?
  19. Vaphell

well, not really. Other infantry classes have toys that are able to damage vehicles: tubes, c4, AT mines, you name it. Hard to pull off? Yes, but you still have that 1/20 chance of coming out on top which is infinity times more that the big fat 0 infs get. Ever been stalked by a scout ESF in the open? "Oh hello Mr Infiltrator, i see your dot so don't even bother using cloak".
    Or how do you run away from a proxy radar harasser? Once they see you it's over, as an inf you can't try the hail mary attempt of baiting them to run over AT mines or C4. You are dead from the start. "Bbbbut you have cloak...". Yeah, i comfort myself thinking exactly that when i look at the countdown on the respawn screen.
  20. starecrow

That dude was posting in a way that implied people pulled ESFs and do those other things for the sole purpose of hunting/eluding snipers, and snipers only. Which is presumptuous.