Battlefield 4 experiences - How can planetside 2 improve?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gheeta, Nov 5, 2013.

1. LordCreepy

+1 for hybrid optics
    • Up x 3
  2. Xasapis

Come on, Prowler is not a tank, it's a tractor (made for infantry farmers) :D
    • Up x 6
  3. zaspacer

In the Real World, big guns are terrible in tight spaces (like room to room fighting) because they are too long and have a big recoil. One great historical example of this is the Six-Day War where Uzi's outgunned AK-47's. You can read about it here.

I'd be fine with realistic guns. I think it would add a sense of realism, a cool arms tactics parallel to the real world, place greater importance of gun selection, and place greater importance on players sticking to terrain they are most effective in. Though it would make the game a lot more restrictive in being able to compete across terrain types, and that would mean a lot more extreme mismatches on the battlefield.

I'm cool with Big Guns being beasts, but I also want them to be totally outclassed when outside their element like in hallways and small rooms. Seeing massive barrel guns being aimed around tight corners is a joke, that thing would be hitting the door frame every time. The game would have to add in an auto un-aim for big guns every time they clipped into terrain.
  4. zaspacer

BR1 Tanks do not promote Tank Spam. It promotes open access to the game, and just about all of us have enjoyed being able to play and try out different vehicles because of it. In the current game a BR1 is going to spawn an uncerted and vastly inferior tank, their play skills and familiarity with the Tank and game are gonna very low, and the Acquisition Timer is going to limit them to 1 Tank every 20 Minutes.

High BR's Tanks are a much different situation. Specifically because with Power Creep (how the game changes as the playerbase levels up) you enable more and more Tank spam. A high BR Tank player is going to spawn a Certed and superior tank, their play skills and familiarity with the Tank and game are gonna be high, and their Acquisition Timer means they can spawn a Tank every 5 minutes.

It's easy and seductive to link people who aren't you to problems you have with the game. But when you explore the actual cause and affect, you'll find that giving in to such "feel good" thinking often leads to inaccurate conclusions.
    • Up x 2
  5. Konfuzfanten

I would really like this, the reward doesnt really matter to me, i just like this kind of fluff. But i have spend 7-8 years playing MMORPG's, so... :p
    • Up x 2
  6. TheBloodEagle

I'd also like to mention:

Much better tracer effects for infantry. I absolutely hate the long beams with fadeouts that infantry weapons have currently.
    LMG's that actually act like LMG's.
    • Up x 2
  7. Bankrotas

How would you know how lmgs act in future?
    • Up x 2
  8. Cryless

for me... the aspect of the weapons matters a lot in a game. that being said, ps2 disappointed me a lot! I wish the devs would take their time and make some better looking weapons because the current ones look like some futuristic plastic toys!

take for example Blacklight Retribution. that game has some of the coolest weapons I have ever seen! modern day aspect always beats futuristic aspect.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tiedemann

The sound of the GD-7F got "messed up" in some patch a long time ago and I freaking LOVED IT, but then SOE "fixed" it :(
    I don't really like the sounds on most NC guns at all and find the NS weapons a little better but not good.

We kinda have that "big war" feel when it comes to sounds like when you are one base away from a big battle and can hear the fun going on over there but there is something about the "balance" of sounds I don't like though but not sure I can explain it.
    In BF you hear the "whole" battlefield all the time but it's ofc. smaller maps. The difference between big explosions, infantry weapons etc. is awesome, and also the echoes.
    You also get those nice deep sub woofer food sounds from big explosions that's "far" away. That's something I miss here, they're kinda too sharp (I think), in fact I feel that a lot of the weapon sounds are too sharp.
    When I fire a LMG in BF it sounds powerful in a much better way than here but I guess the issue is more how the NC guns work/sounds in general.

I would like the "XP tick" sound to be toned done/changed too. When you're an engy repairing, dropping ammo and what not it get's kinda intense.

Would also like to get rid of "Is there a doctor around", "I think I'm broken" etc. (or whatever the phrase is) and those kinda "childish" voice stuff on the NC. I want it to sound a little more serious and professional when coming out of a soldiers mouths if you get what I mean.
    • Up x 1
  10. Gustavo M

Think again.
    • Up x 3
  11. Crackulous

Looks like censoring, but where's the nudity?
  12. Rockit

Only thing PS2 is lacking is more hats!
  13. Camycamera

i agree with this post.
  14. SurgeonX

I think the biggest thing PS2 can take away from Battlefield 4 is Commander Mode.
    In that, they are providing specific functionality and UI in order to help structure and direct a battle.
    In old PS speak, which doesn't really translate to PS2 anymore, sadly, that's what I'd imagine would make a CR5's job a lot easier in PS2.
    • Up x 1
  15. Gammit

This would be amazing. Even if they just implemented a flashing sundie on the map if it's < half health.
    • Up x 1
  16. DeadliestMoon

Bad game design? I'm sorry but what are your credentials when it comes to game design?
  17. MrEclectic

On that note, present day, in service with the USMC weapon, which is more similar in function and operational parameters to in-game LMGs than the M249 SAW: M27 IAR
    • Up x 1
  18. Prudentia

i kinda agree.
    i only played 2 rounds of commander less domination and 2 rounds of commander conquest.
    the first round was floodzone:
    pretty intresting, but i didn't joined from the beginning od the round and we already had 4/5 bases, despite te other team having a commander and i don't know the game well enough to know if i got MVP as commander by beeing super good, or my team giving me the assets and me just playing around with them.
    now the second game is where stuff got interesting:
    Operation Locker: only the central C point has an assett, infantry scan, UAV and EMP are your main weapons in the tactical warfare.
    the enemy got C pretty much right away and i learned the hard way, that sending a UAV to support a backcappinf squad is bad, because the enemy sees your assetts, he sent a UAV hinself, to check what i was doing, spotted the squad, sent someoneback, they got wiped. at the end we managed to allcap, but that we only had 40 tickets left and they 400 so we still lost.
    from that bit it looks like it has a lot of depth, but i can't give a qualified opinion
  19. stalkish

We (PS1 Veterans) have been asking for a mini map like this since alpha. PS1's mini map did exactly what you described, it zoomed automaticly when aproaching a base and entering the courtyard, it zoomed again when entering the insides of a base and changed to show the interior rooms and corridoors so you could see exactly where you and the enemy were. The auto zoom function could be disabled if the user required but the interior views always showed up as soon as you entered a building (most of the time....i didnt nickname it bugside for no reason ;)) . It could also be moved wherever you wanted on the screen.
    Come to think of it PS1's UI was way more customisable than PS2's. You could move anything you see on the screen to anywhere you wanted (accept reticle ofc :rolleyes: ), the squad was listed at the top of the screen and also showed your platoon members not the carbon copy of BF that we see in PS2. You could enable a list of your CE which told you how many mines/spitfire turrets/tank traps you had placed and also enabled you to easily see when they were detonated, allowing you to place more and telling you the base you were just defending is compromised (there was even 2 types of this). The FPS counter showd your ping and latency aswel as fps. The kill spam was part of the chat window allowing you to scroll up and see whether or not that cloaker you were chasing was killed. The reticle had a distance marker next to it and turned yellow when the enemy was out of range of your weapon (was especially handy with the phoenix in that it avoided you wasting time and ammo only to realise your 2 metres out of range of your target). Mostly just small additions but added together they make the gameplay soo much more intuitive and emersive, even the main map was better than PS2's map.
    Im hopefull that the dev team will eventualy add stuff like the above mentioned CE list but to my memory PS1 was alot more fleshed out than its big brother at the same stage of development, although having said that it wasnt rushed to release either.
    • Up x 3
  20. DeusExForever

That's pretty much a more realistic view of battle tech 100+ years from now.

That was my favorite Battlefield game as well and hoping some franchise would pick up where it left...miss the Titan mode fighting.
    • Up x 3