1-2 FPS on powerful computer

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SgtDeneutralized, Nov 4, 2013.

1. SgtDeneutralized

Recently bought a brand new desktop, with specs that can easily handle planetside on high graphics. Or so I thought. Once the game had downloaded through steam it prompted for the administrator password (my account is not administrator) which was entered and it went through the first time set up. Once everything had finished, I logged in only to find my fps was 1-2. I changed the graphics to lowest and changed the render distance and quality to nothing and yet I was still getting 1-2 fps. The blue [CPU] was beside the whole time. I tried changing it up to the very highest settings and still it was just 1-2 fps. I closed it and opened it again and once more it asked for the administrator password as if it had not installed last time. I closed the password window and yet the game still started. It still had 1-2 fps. I closed it, opened it again and tried putting in the password correctly but still just 1-2 fps. Any ideas?
  2. Hooston

May I ask what your specs are?
  3. zizeff

Specs would help what you call a powerful comp could just be a snazzy e-machine so list them bud then people can help ya.
  4. SgtDeneutralized

Oh yeah, cheers.

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 8
    Version6.2.9200 Build 9200
    Other OS DescriptionNot Available
    OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
    System NameTHETOWER
    System ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
    System Model500-152ea
    System Typex64-based PC
    System SKUD7U83EA#ABU
    ProcessorAMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/DateAMI 80.35, 10/07/2013
    SMBIOS Version2.7
    Embedded Controller Version255.255
    BIOS ModeUEFI
    BaseBoard ManufacturerMSI
    BaseBoard ModelNot Available
    BaseBoard NameBase Board
    Platform RoleDesktop
    Secure Boot StateOn
    PCR7 ConfigurationBinding Not Possible
    Windows DirectoryC:\windows
    System DirectoryC:\windows\system32
    Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume2
    LocaleUnited Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.2.9200.16442"
    UsernameTheTower\THETOWER\sbord_000
    Time ZoneGMT Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory7.19 GB
    Available Physical Memory5.24 GB
    Total Virtual Memory11.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory8.97 GB
    Page File Space4.50 GB
    Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode ExtensionsYes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation ExtensionsYes
    Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in FirmwareYes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution ProtectionYes
    Tell me if this isn't the right stuff, I'm not amazing with computers :)
  5. zizeff

OK do you have a dedicated graphics card on your rig or is it all onboard because from the looks of it you have a nice e-machine and ps2 is not going to do well if your cpu is doing both the graphics and running the game because its cpu intensive. If you had a dedicated card it would help ya and even thoe you have a nice amd apu ps2 runs best on intel atm a better optimized multi-threded version of the game is currentley on the testserver witch should help all players if you can hold out for a week is will hopefully arrive on live on monday next week .
  6. LordTankT9

Well CPU is decent - that's a good news, but I suspect there is no discrete GPU, only CPU's integrated one - that's only reason that can explain such low fps. It's good for watching video and playing simple games, sadly Planetside 2 is not one of them. But to be sure.

Please download this program called CPU-Z, it will tell only essential information about your system, here is official link where you can download it: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    And tell us what is on "Graphics" tab, example:
    [IMG]

GPU name will provide us necessary information to help you.
  7. SgtDeneutralized

Ok I downloaded it but there was no information in any of the boxes for graphics, just grey. However, I checked and the graphics set-up is AMD Radeon HD 8470 + 8670 D Dual Graphics.
  8. SgtDeneutralized

Ok I used the AMD catalyst to stop the graphics running through the APU so it's now just on the GPU. When I got in game, I was still only on about 5 fps on medium quality. Is this the best I'm going to get or is it still not at full potential?
  9. zizeff

That looks like its a integrated chip set bud your gona have to get your self a dedicated card to get your fps up to snuf that should re-leave the pressure on your cpu at the moment its trying to run both the game and render the graphics that's why your at 1-2 fps.
  10. Warruz

You dont have a dedicated graphics card, your just using the graphics side of the APU.
  11. LordTankT9

Thank you for the information. Sadly those is very weak video cards for running modern games in anything more then low quality.

More so I don't understand why they added AMD Radeon HD 8470 - this a discrete video card and it's even less powerful then your CPU's video card (modern CPUs have integrated, your have 8670). Also 8470 don't support CrossFire mode - if it did, your CPU's card would be able to help it and get you extra performance in some games.

To run modern games you should replace your 8470 for something better, there are no other option..
  12. Utrooperx

I have the slightly older A10-5800K AMD APU...When I first built my rig and logged on to PS2, the FPS was about 10-15 FPS using the APU only.

I OC'd the CPU a bit and bought a $130 discrete PCI-e GPU (ATI HD4870x2 dual core X-fired)...FPS with all setting on MAX/Ultra is 35 to 50 FPS...much better :)

Take a look at this list...it may help...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  13. teks

the A-10 can handle this game pretty well without a graphics card.

I too have the older version of the card and I run the game at 30 FPS stable without much issues. I have shadows off, and rendering at 80% with high graphics.

You should overclock your CPU and GPU, both can be overclocked with AMD's own software.

One problem you will have, since you bought the PC rather then build it yourself, is your ram is probably cheap, and slow. APUs depend on the ram big time, so the slow ram will be costing you easily 20% performance
  14. teks

ugh, let me elaborate the question at hand a little better. Your computer's hardware isn't the problem here. A lot of people are blaming the fact that you don't have a graphics card. Thats not the problem. You shouldn't have 5 fps with that.

hit ALT-F and tell us if your CPU or GPU locked (it'll say at the bottom left). That will tell you whats suffering.

Turn off shadows, and put rendering down to 80%. Turn off all the bloatware on your PC.

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and post how many processes are running. If its over 45 you have problems.
  15. Akuratron

This is certainly not a 'powerful' computer... you should have consulted someone that is good with naming hardware (like me) before buying that computer. However, the computer should not be getting 1-2 fps, and capping at 5... that is very weird, I had a computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz that got a nice 60 fps at warpgate at the very lowest settings... 15 in battle :I. My current new custom build has an AMD FX-6300 6 core 3.5 Ghz processor and a GTX 660 and runs this with 30 fps in the largest battles at maximum settings, with Shadows set to low (25 fps at the very max settings...)

You should not worry, though... once they release the optimization patches, you will certainly be able to run this game at low or medium settings, maybe with a turned down render quality to reduce strain on your Graphics processor/card duo.

However, if you really want a 'powerful' computer, I suggest buying a discrete GPU like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121686... only THEN will you really be able to run games well, and I mean... pretty freakin' well, BF3 at a nice High settings, BF4 pretty solidly... it would last you a good couple years, and if you are willing to invest even more ($200) you could get a GTX 660 or Radeon 7870/7950 and crank out some 1920x1080 resolution Ultra Graphics in plenty of games (I can relate).

I am guessing, though, that you probably cannot get a discrete GPU, so just deal with this and wait for the optimization update(s)... you will certainly be able to run the game and get into some epic battles!

G'luck and seeya (along with many others) out on the field after the optimization patches. (Very soon).

-Akuratron
  16. teks

Optimization patches wont do him nuthin. Something is wrong with his PC.

I'm guessing virus, bloatware, bad drivers, overheating, you take your pick. The PC's specs can handle the game with minimal tweaking.
  17. Akuratron

You are correct, sir. In case you did not read my whole post, I did say that it was weird that he was getting such a low framerate. However, even without any problems, with that kind of hardware, he will have a hard time getting a nice framerate until the optimization patches... that's why I referred to them.

But... yes, you are right... @Sgtdeneutralized, do look for things like this on your computer.
  18. SgtDeneutralized

Thank you all, The computer is brand new and does a similar thing with all games I've found. I tried running an old game that shouldn't have been any trouble at all and once again it maxed at 5 fps. I have tried looking into it but unfortunately I know very little. On your advice, I ran the McAffee virus scanner (I hope this should work, it was pretty expensive) and it said the computer was clean. I think it might be some limitation the computer is putting on itself but I really have no idea. Not only that, but this was bought as a family computer, not primarily for gaming so I knew that it wouldn't get amazing fps but even my laptop with a 1.7 Ghz processor and integrated graphics could do better than it.
  19. Sliced

You got all your drivers installed?
  20. teks

Take it back where you got it if its new. No sense putting up with that.