[Suggestion] Please Fix AI Bots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Keystone, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Keystone

Alright, this is something that has been plaguing this game since release: The bots suck. They really, really suck. Like, I'm talking something fierce. If you're going to have bots in a game, make sure they work right.

Let's go over a list of things I've seen in just the last 20 minutes of gameplay, shall we?
    • Getting shot in the back repeatedly by bots.
    • Friendly bots killing each other. A lot.
    • In the middle of a field, getting run over by a friendly bot in a Magrider who could've easily pathed around me or stuck to the road.
    • Bots refusing to drop ammo.
    • Bots refusing to use MAX Bursters on anything but tanks and infantry.
    • Bots ignoring requests for pickup when driving an empty Sunderer.
    • Bots with full Sunderers driving them into enemy tank zergs, getting everyone else killed in the process.
    • Bots refusing to repair my MAX when doing nothing in particular, instead choosing to gaze off into the stratosphere.
    • Bots driving Sunderers toward our own Warp Gate, instead of towards the front line.
    • In the warpgate, bots sometimes crash aircraft on take-off. Making it so vehicles can't be damaged in the Warpgate was a lazy fix. They shouldn't crash on take-off at all. This isn't X3: Terran Conflict.
    • Bots refusing to destroy enemy Sunderers when they have a clear line of sight and the means to do so.
    • Friendly AI C4ing my own Sunderer.
    • When my vehicle so much as nudges a friendly bot, they die instantly. When I try to intentionally fully ram a lone enemy bot that isn't moving, it does no damage.
    • Bots refuse to protect objectives, instead wandering aimlessly into the line of fire of both myself and enemy bots and wasting the precious resources on my PC used to render and simulate them.
    I sometimes feel like even the simplistic bots of Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament or TF2 have a bit more intelligence behind them than the bots in Planetside 2. They go for objectives regularly and feel like they are real players. Heck, TF2's singleplayer bots feel more lifelike than any other game I've ever played. Why can't PS2's be more like that?

PS2's bots, on the other hand, ignore objectives outright and do as they please, sometimes not even doing anything at all. I've lost count of how many times I've seen one wander aimlessly around a spawn room, licking at the flaking paint on the walls, snorting nanites from an EMP grenade, or using their rifles as a bong to smoke nanites.

The AI in PS2 needs a significant rewrite, or this singleplayer game won't go very far.
    • Up x 30
  2. ViXeN

I have bad news and you may want to sit down for this... those aren't bots. They are actual humans! No really! I'm serious! LOL
    • Up x 1
  3. PrincessFrosty

I pressed the like button :)
  4. Alkasirn

Right? A couple days ago a few bots and myself went to attack an amp station that was already being attacked by about 300 other bots. We all went to one of the generators that control the shield surrounding the control point, blew up the generator, then sat there and guarded it. I was under the impression at least one of the 300 other bots would overload the other generator and allow the station to be capped.

Half an hour later none of the bots made any progress at all, so I went over to the other side of the amp station to see what the problem was. All the bots were running up and down alongside the amp station's walls. Half of them were not full health but the medic bots completely ignored them until they were completely dead. Weird thing though, the bots on the other team all seemed to work fine. I think the bots on my team are underpowered.
    • Up x 2
  5. Krizzen

The bots on my server don't defend territory they take, they just leave en masse to the next one. They do this with continents too. They all have the same tag by their name too... it's so strange.
  6. ViXeN

I remember way back on Tribes 1 when I was a kid there used to be this mod that had a single bot named "Pokey" who used to just run up and down this long bridge over and over and fire randomly into the air. I used to spent a lot of time just trying to defend Pokey because he became like my personal mascot even though he was completely useless. But as useless as he was, he was better than some of the "humanbots" I have played with and against on many games since then, including PS2. LOL
    • Up x 1
  7. Zitroxious

Dont you just love those bots that go stand in a big group on a hill, shooting at a base 200 meters away at nothing? while only 3 or 4 people are actually attacking the base and facing 5 enemies each, every time.. im thinking of certing some c4 especially for this
  8. Keystone

"Player-controlled bots". Lol.

I guess it just comes with the territory. There are, of course, dumb people in every walk of life. But F2P tends to open the floodgates significantly, I've found. Paint-flake licking is quite common, unfortunately.
  9. FateJH

I must say one thing, though: Infiltrator AI can be surprisingly top-notch sometimes.
    • Up x 1
  10. Talizzar

This post is BOT on! Bloody good show ole boy!

Bullet AI is damn good.
  11. Ronaldspiers

The bots don't work properly because the Vanu took all their batteries for their guns
  12. harisbubblegum

Hello every body i am new to planetside 2 and have the following questions.
    1.does this game have AI offline BOTS?
    2.There are no station cash cards in my whole country so can I buy them online [ NO SHIPING PROCESS]
    3.I got a slow net of 3mbs how good will be my ping on PS2 servers?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE:(
  13. Van Dax

1. No this is a joke thread referring to the intelligence of the average player.
    2. Prepaid credit cards will fine if you don't have a real one.
    3. Well you'll just have to try it out but my 50 will connect well to the other side of the world

4. try not to post in old threads.
  14. FIN Faravid

Ah very clever sir :)
  15. Earthman

Well played.

Sometimes I feel the "NERF STRIKER NOW OMG" posts, and related typical threads here, are also done by some sort of automated macro program.
  16. RHINO_Mk.II

You, sir, win forumside for today.
  17. MarlboroMan-E

Technically, he won Forumside back in January.