Suppressor

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by R3dBeaver, Oct 30, 2013.

1. R3dBeaver

Do they really work?

The idea of it is to have the following benefit at the cost of bullet speed:
    - doesnt show up in enemy's minimap
    - reduce noise
    - reduce weapon flash

however, after playing with suppresor on for a couple of days, and doing a lot of flanking, i can clearly see people that im shooting at can immediately turn around and spot me (sometimes even around a corner) as if I pop up at their minimap.

Also, the SOUND of my Serpent although very different with suppressor on, is still very much audible (at least to myself).

So i'm seriously considering either putting a bug ticket or simply lose the suppressor altogether and regain my bullet velocity.

(PS: I also have soft ammo installed. people say it helps. does it?)
  2. Camycamera

suppressor does work (you don't show up on the mini map) but sound is not reduced at all.
  3. Mxiter

The sound is modified.
    It also reduce drastically the damage degradation furthermore lower velocity.

SPA helps a little for the damage degradation, but makes it worst for the velocity and drop.
    • Up x 1
  4. Aegie

Suppressor would be a lot more effective if PS2 did not put huge tracers on every round- these are basically big ES colored arrows that point to your exact firing location and this is largely responsible for why people will know exactly where you are when firing regardless of the suppressor.

I find the flash suppressor, for many weapons, is a better compromise because 1) a lot of people do not actively check the minimap, 2) larger battles it is not so much a benefit because the chaos of the battle helps mask your position, 3) flash suppressor limits the large muzzle flash and a lot of people use this to quickly identify targets. You will never be stealthy in PS2 so long as every round has a ridiculously large tracer- about the only time I have felt like the suppressor was really worth it is in very small engagements when you can wait to absolutely get the drop on someone, but, of course, if you absolutely have the drop then you should not need the suppressor's advantage in the first place.
    • Up x 7
  5. Konfuzfanten

It does all 3 things, although the reduce noise is pretty small.

The last time i tested it a suppressor will cut your noise by 15-20 meters, so instead of ppl being able to hear you are 120 meters, they can "only" hear you at 100 meters. The point about the suppressor is that in big battles explosions will mask you a lot better.

About ppl turning around and killing you:
    All weapons has bullet tracers, any decent PS2 player will be able to locate you from those tracers.

Yes, it does exactly what the tool tip says.

Actually it does reduced the sound range and it removes the sounds spikes, making it a bit harder to hear in a big battle.
    • Up x 1
  6. Irathi

Suppressor works, but the bullet tracer all weapons have gives your position away.

So you have to be good at positioning your self, preferably slightly above as the bullets then rain down on them above their typical field of view. If you do that the suppressor is magic and I love using it as LA :)
  7. Konfuzfanten

Really? From my experience (after the carbine suppressor nerf) even the faster bullet velocity carbines, gets a HUGE velocity drop from using suppressors, while the LMGs dont really suffer.

I have switch all my carbines to flash suppressor :(
  8. Irathi

Well I use it on my Trac 5S since I like to get up close and personal as a LA and I don't like shotguns. I also sometimes use it as infiltrator with SMGs, but only very little.

I've never added it to an LMG, but I'm considering it. Had any good experience with LMG + suppressor?
  9. MarioPIe

Try sneaking around. They.can't target you if you aren't seen.
  10. teks

I mostly use CQC carbines with suppressors and they work amazing. Your failing was that you shot a guy, and failed to kill him. The guy knows from what direction he was hit, and from there he was able to see you.

The power in a suppressor is that you can kill a target without alerting nearby enemies to your presence, but it requires you to actually kill the guy in the first place.
  11. Phyr

There's also people (like me) who sound *****. I know exactly what my faction sounds like, so even with a suppressor if you're close enough I'll know you're around.
  12. MurderBunneh

Been playing with a suppressor on my SAW. When get flanks and backsides I can kill 200% more people before I am noticed. As a general rule I get shot at less if I'm in a group of people too.

I would like to say once and for all that suppressors DO NOT degrade your damage directly. They induce mad bullet drop for TR/NC and those shots hitting the legs and the -damage mod being activated is why your damage will seem lower.

On the other hand VS only get reduced velocity basically free suppressor for VS which is why you see VS running suppressor at double the rate of the other factions.
    • Up x 1
  13. R3dBeaver

Thanks guys.

I think for my playstyle, what's more important is the minimap thing.

I can sneak around and move out of the away after my shot, so even if they see my bullet trace and get a sense of hit direction, as long as I don't show up in their minimap (A ha! So THATs where approximately where he is/was), I think it's a worthy upgrade for me.

as LA, I do a lot of flanking. And it's much more useful when I can do hit n run behind enemy line rather than have an obvious red dot on the enemy's map.
  14. SinerAthin

The Suppressor works best for Urban areas/flanking the enemy.

If you are fighting in the open next to a lot of friendlies, the suppressor won't really have that much of an impact.
    • Up x 1
  15. MarlboroMan-E

I keep the suppressor on my pistol, which allows me to whack a guy without showing up on the map if I have the drop on the back of his head. I do a lot of LA flanking as well and find that I like my carbine with the compensator to maximize versatility (medium/long range.) Good luck with whatever you decide
  16. IamDH

A large amount of players (including myself) rely on the minimap mainly to find enemies.
    Of course i will shoot people on sight or if i hear them but if they are clever they won't expose themselves that much
    • Up x 1
  17. R3dBeaver

Good points.

realistically speaking (as in, in-game "real") when i hear some guns firing off, i'd first look around, then i check the minimap. if there's no red dots/triangle around me, then it's probably just friendlies playing around.

even if i happened to walk into a fresh corpse, i wouldnt immediately think an enemy is hiding... since there's no red dots on the map.

that's when/why i bought the supressor.

i want to drop one easy target without alerting his friends around him.
  18. Jac70

I'm using the suppressor on the Artemis and it really quietens the noise. I don't know if it actually changes the distance the sound travels, it should do but - the main benefit is staying of the minimap.
  19. MavCooL

I dont understand what bullet tracer means, can someone enlighten me??
    1. The red arrow that comes in everyone screen when they getting shot at
    2. The color of the bullet when flying in that case NC yellow TR red

And when we use suppressor, I'm pretty sure I didn't show on the minimap, but are my bullets still make a line of color like I mention in point 2??
  20. Meeka

The suppressor doesn't stop your bullet tracers from being seen... and if you run on high detail... bullet tracers are very easily seen.

And if someone is shooting at me, I use the directional indicator to find out from where... suppression doesn't stop that either.

All it does is reduce your sound foot print and prevent you from directly being shown on the mini-map. But, once you fire... anyone with their graphics up high enough can follow your bullet trail back to the source... you.