Battle Rifles Need a damage buff.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ralathar44, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Ralathar44

Half a second is a long pause to take a second shot.

I take it you didn't read the OP or check my profile. I have 180+ kills with it and I've played with it a good bit. LMG's and even Carbines are currently capable of similar effectiveness to what you just described at those ranges because of your fire rate being constricted by accuracy due to recoil and your bullet damage is not high enough to outweight theirs.

Remember, when you're dealing 200 dmg per bullet vs 100 damage per bullet you still lose if they can put out 3 accurate bullets to your 1. As added insult to injury some Carbines and most LMGs have higher muzzle velocities, sometimes ALOT higher.

Also, we are not talking about putting headshots on a stationary target. Everyone can do that just fine. BR would take it's two shots, LMG would take it's 2 bursts, Carbine would take it's 3 bursts. Everyone would put their target down before reaction time. The disadvantage comes in every other situation where aiming for the head is just plain difficult even for snipers.

There are plenty of other weapons that would have the same TTK if you are talking all headshots. I really don't see what the issue is. People standing still that you aim for and headshot die with a wide variety of weapons in very quick times. Even pistols!! BR is not some magical unicorn of medium range headshotting, alot of stuff destroys you at medium range with headshots.

This is not about headshots, this is about 90% of your actual play time vs moving opponents who will do more than sit there and let you shoot them.
  2. Ralathar44

I also really don't understand you guys worried about headshots so much. If headshots are your only concern you can just bump the headshot damage multiplier down in exchange to the other buffs. I don't think it needs it but that's an option. You're knowledgeable enough to know about the modifiers, you should know that is an additional option as well.

So I don't get your argument at all really if headshots are what you are worried about.
  3. teks

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the fact that you were the OP.

My argument is only accurate for the VS b/c of no drop. It changes everything. I score many head shots with the weapon because without drop its just incredibly accurate and fast.

Even with the VS though, the velocity is a bit slow for what it is. Long range carbines have a faster velocity.If the velocity is increased by, say 50m/s the gun would be far more accurate and capable against moving targets, and I think once you see how nice it is when its actually accurate you wont care about the damage.
  4. palto1826

i guess when i think about this i have to compare it to other games' semi auto rifles...for instance, BF3 and the SKS or even any WWI game and the M1 garand...when comparing my experiences with these weapons and the semi auto weapon of PS2, lets say the VS nyx (sorry i know its not the battle rifle but they are the same for all intensive purposes and ive used the nyx more than the vs BR) the biggest difference to me is the fire rate difference from the SKS to the Nyx...not recoil or damage but having that delay from trying to fire before it can throws my timing off completely and just feels unnatural...i would def like to see that buffed before anything else...i like the idea stated earlier that the fire rate should be close to the pistols' fire rates
  5. Hoki

No.

Remove nanoweave.

You suggest putting a bandaid on cancer?
  6. palto1826

i wouldnt say remove nanoweave completely but at least allow a headshot kill someone wearing nanoweave...i like to run nanoweave on my light assault in order to keep me alive long enough to detonate some c4 ive placed on a sundie a whole enemy platoon is spawning at
  7. Ralathar44

The nanoweave is another situation completely and is a valid option IMO. I DO believe it to be a little too strong atm and maybe needs to be turned down however. An easy fix for sniper rifles vs nanoweave is if they just increased the headshot multipliers on sniper rifles just enough to regain the OHK headshot or in the case of Semi-Auto's the 2 headshot kill.

This really shouldn't have much to do with this implementation of BR however. That is a gamewide balance issue, this is a specific weapon being weaker than other options in the current balance of the game.
  8. Ralathar44

Even if what you say is true, this applies only to the VS version as you say, and I promise you at medium range Carbines and LMG's can currently achieve similar performance. They may not have the damage per bullet, but they can put out 3-5 accurate bullets to the 1 accurate BR bullet. I don't even expect the buffs I'm suggesting to make the BR's an even playing field with those weapons, I just want them to be more competitive.
  9. Commissar Penitus

Hey script-kiddies! Is the sniper rifle too slow when you want to pad your K/D ratio?

Try applying your script to battle rifles! Get the same headshots, get them quicker, with far fewer reloads and no bolt action!

Order now!

Or dont.
  10. Cinnamon

200 kills in a couple of days. I think that all they really need is more velocity and unlock for light assault. Damage increase might make them too good. Burst or semi auto might change what they are too much.
  11. DocteurVK

The only "two" things I'd like for BRs are :

• Lower initial cof (it has an initial CoF of 0.1 where long range ARs / LMGs and Carbines have 0.03)
    • Higher base bullet velocity by 50-75 m/s
    I'm still using it quite often with various loadouts (depends on the day and situation) but liked the following the most :
    • 4x scope
    • Handgrip
    • Comp
    • HVA
    Or this one :
    • 2x to 4x
    • Laser sight
    • no comp
    • no HVA
    It's a very nice deterrent for Infils / MAXes and HAs, disturbing them in their duty.
    It's also a good scouting / spotting tool
  12. teks

I think its made for long range rather then medium. In my wicked engineer chart of weapons it goes

Close- vx6-7
    Medium- Pulsar C
    Long- Eidolin + engy turret (of course)
    Farm zerg mode- solstace SF
  13. Ralathar44

The problem with that is then you are a heavy or an engineer. An engineer you might be able to say that with considering you have infinite ammo and a vehicle turret, but heavy is definitely no contest at that range vs a proper sniper. Even with that though a good sniper with a good sense of timing on his motion darts and willing to place his prox mines first will definitely be more useful in a battle unless the battle is armor heavy. Amp stations specifically allow the sniper a vast amount of vantage points, prox mine opportunities, and plentiful chances to exercise the cloaking/hacking muscle of the infiltrator.

No matter what though, both Engineer and heavy scream "Look at me I'm shooting you." at long range while snipers have the option to be like a ghost killing you from the endless void of a nameless nothing.