WDS Preseason and Upcoming Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malorn, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DukeFlash

So TR has won the first 5 individual weeks yet is losing the overall score by about 87k?
    This literally does not add up, as 'this week' the VS lead so far is 39k (as of now).
    I wasn't watching the scores (as I have not been playing) but it seems like maybe there was an error in the result for Week 5...

At any rate, TR definitely won the first 4 weeks but is in danger of losing somehow, thanks to the rules changes and Top Dog.
    Malorn says Top Dog is really only affecting 10% of the overall score. Oooooookay but I'd like to hear SoE's explanation how TR can (officially) win weeks 1-5 out of 6 and still be losing like this.

Also, continues to prove north Indar warpgate is OP -.-
  2. SencneS

How can TR go from nearly 200K over VS at the start of Week 5, to almost 100K under VS 8 days later? It's clear the new system rewards more points, that's not the issue, but if it was more "balanced" you'd see the scores slowly climb to almost level out 4 weeks later, not 4 days later.

I'm talking about Waterson in particular. You said Base captures are only about 20% of the score. Since we kind of have to take your word for it, this would mean the other empires scores should only be climbing at a rate of 7-8% faster than TR's score, assuming they all capture the same amount of bases. At that rate, we should only see about 100K point difference in the overall score after one week and still in favor of TR winning by about 100K.

How I got that 7-8%. - If the base capture is only 20%, and VS and NC are getting 50% more than TR for a base capture, that means that TR's base captures are only about 12-13% of it's daily/weekly point gain. 50% of 12-13% is 7-8% gain which equals ~20%.

This is on a per base level. If TR capture a base, and VS/NC capture it back, the point difference VS/NC got would be about 7-8%. Just to make it clear, TR would need to be the top-dog on the server, which is the case with Waterson.

At that rate, you wouldn't see VS gain so many points so quickly over such a small period of time, you'd only see it level out to about the same score on all empires over the space of 3-4 weeks. Because remember TR are also gaining points under the new system, it's just gaining less points.

I can't re-enstate it enough, apart from the Top-Warpgate on Indar playing a pretty heavy role here, YOU CAN NOT start a new system with the RESULTS of the previous system as it's starting variables. That is NOT how you do statistical analysis.
  3. Huishe

Do we really look like ******* who's going to believe anything we're told?

You mean you're going to add another week and change the rules again every time you feel like it? Oh wait, you already do that. So uh, guess what, people will lose whatever interest they had left in WDS.
  4. KATAHA

Hello SOE!

IF you want to find fair winner, why did you gave Indar North Warpgate to VS twice? Do you think it is FAIR!? Why did you changed rules at the final line? Is it FAIR?

When I'll be a multi-billionear I'll buy your company and fire all of you!!!
  5. HavokHavok

For 5 weeks the obvious stares at everyone in the face TR is OP in comparison to anyone else, one on one or as a group. Why because they have the toys that kill off their opponents quickly and more effectively than anyone else.

I repeat 5 weeks of WDS wins proves it. You can mess with the scoring but it doesn't change the bare facts, they' have the toys that drop an opponent faster than anyone else.

Can they be beat, sure if you get the drop on them by numbers or you surprise them and they're slow to react. But one on one in a fair fight its unlikely. Until that changes TR can win each week till the cows come home. What surprises me is that developers can sit there and go, lets modify the scoring, that's not fixing a problem that's hiding it and hoping it'll go away.

Yeap I'm griping about it and I've earned that right after seeing it happen time and time again:mad:.
  6. ValorousBob

I checked the score every day, VS were ahead with like 37% weekly score almost the entire time.
  7. libbmaster

It's frighting how much rage this is generating. WDS was intended to be a band-aid distraction to hold us over during optimizations but this...

SoE, if I were you, I'd can this whole WDS thing and get people focused back on the upcoming optimizations.
    • Up x 1
  8. PapaMojo

I think it's not rage specific so much to WDS, and moreover to how reliable SoE is in running events. Also, some VS-specific rage may have something to do with the last event SoE ran. (What? VS was busy trying to score points when they should have been voting on Twitter and Facebook? Stupid Vanu...thinking the in-game events would have any bearing on the final winner)
  9. R3dBeaver

Announcement made. VS actually won. We get a boost.

And TR get to keep their false reward...

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ough-time-to-win-wds-preseason-week-5.155245/

why?

Rage is good if you can output it to the game instead of forum-flaming...
  10. libbmaster

Yes, the voting is silly, as it hands the advantage right back to the over-pop faction!

I personally think that any kind of meta game like event is pointless till the population has some semblance of balance and the Devs have had a chance to make a balance pass of all the factions weapons/vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  11. SencneS

You want to know what is not correct about this.. The scoring system.

Last Week VS Gained more ground and topped TR's overall score by nearly 100K BEFORE the end of the week. Yet TR was announced the winner? So here we have it, TR has won 5 out of 5 weeks, which would indicate at the end of every week TR had the higher overall score for that week which would translate into TR having the highest over all score in the total competition.

That is not the case, VS have 100K lead on TR over the entire competition. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

You can't have one empire win 5 weeks straight by having the highest score for that week, - AND - be behind the overall score leader (VS) by 100K. Unless SoE devs are saying that 100K was gained in a single day.

To make it as plain as day.

Week 1 - TR - 100
    Week 1 - VS - 90

Week 2 - TR - 100
    Week 2 - VS - 90

Week 3 - TR - 100
    Week 3 - VS - 90

Week 4 - TR - 100
    Week 4 - VS - 90

Week 5 - TR - 100
    Week 5 - VS - 90

Over all score
    TR - 500
    VS - 510

THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE and indicates that there is a SERIOUS FLAW in the scoring system. You can't have one empire have the most points week after week and NOT be the highest overall score. Especially since on Week 5, VS took the overall score lead from TR!

I'll be willing to give timing the benefit of the doubt, TR may have been week 5's point leader moments before the end of week 5, but that in itself shows a serious problem with the scoring system, because on Tuesday VS had over 100K lead, Which would mean VS gained 100K points ahead of TR in a single day.

All the Devs need to do is ask themselves - How can one empire lead each week but still be behind the overall point leader?

The numbers do NOT add up.
  12. DeadliestMoon

I guess you don't check the announcements section often do you?
  13. R3dBeaver

logged in. played for 3 hours.

no boost.

so what are we supposed to get for Week 5 again?
  14. SencneS

When I posted that, the WDS page, along with the announcements forum both had TR winning Week 5.

I see now that after I posted about it twice, SoE corrected it and awarded it to VS.

Which is who should have won, either way, there is a flaw in the system even if they simply read it incorrectly.

No side should be able to come out ahead by more than they where behind in a single week. If anything it shows SoE/Devs should have reset the score board after changing the rules. Or ended the competition, awarded TR a victory and started a new one with the new system.

Plain and simple, starting a new scoring system mid-way though a competition which is issuing rewards/prizes is probably the most ***-hat move to make. Because VS will enjoy the prizes I'm sure, but deep down inside, it was for squat, SoE changed the scoring system which disadvantaged the current leader. It doesn't matter who was leading, if the roles had been reversed and VS or NC were as far ahead as TR was, only to have TR win the overall competition because the new scoring system favored them. I'd be just as vocal, because it's not right to start a new scoring system using the results of the old scoring system as the initial values, that is just urine poor choice making.
  15. DerpMode

But it actually is skewed towards attacking the top dog. No offense but you would be missing 1 too many brain cells if you weren't attacking the faction that gives the most points. Have you even looked across the servers to see how they manifest?

It actually creates a tug of war. Because the bonus is constant across all continents, all you need to do is simply push as much as you can and then move onto a different continent for a short amount of time. While the top dog takes in some territory on indar they already lost half of esamir (as a example), but because the bonus never changes the attacking force can simply move back to indar and retake the territories they lost with the 50% bonus.

And this is based on what? Population or Map, because the latter seems to miss in all this. While what you are saying is somewhat true i still think you don't look into servers and how they react on different factions. You have to know that maps are not geometrically fair, therefor who ever hold north indar has a territory advantage because of the alignment. Because of the fact that TR was the winning faction on most servers, when they received S-E WG and the top dog was stacked against them the VS and NC could simply throw the thick of the forces into them, while the VS on the servers you mentioned (AFAIK they are VS heavy servers) didn't have this problem because of the territory they hold without to much of a hassle while at the north WG.

As proof, Miller (who is, or was, TR heavy) has been scoring last the past week and the current week. Because of the inconsistency of WG rotations and the impressively flawed map layout, I don't see how captures, holds and the exact impact of having 2 factions stack against you will give unbiased results. The only thing it would show, and hopefully give a solution to it, is the tremendous advantage north WG gives and why underpopulated continents should be ruled out of the bonus.
  16. Goretzu

The new scoring system is designed to give 33%-34%-33% score or as close as possible, it is no surprise that is what it is doing.
  17. R3dBeaver

wheres my rewards, DEV?

are those TR infiltrators you supposedly punished are trying to make a deal with you?

DEATH TO THE HERETICS!
  18. R3dBeaver

So NC wins this week.

When are they getting their boost?

I swear I'll throw something out of the window if they get it before VS's week5 boost lol
  19. Copasetic

Didn't VS win this week again?

Oh whatever, who cares. Just give everyone a boost for participating, like a grade school soccer tournament.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kunavi

The VS dominating again in Woodman makes me think they mocked us during the WDS's earlier stages by actually allowing the TR to win. FML, in every single F* MMO I tend to UNKNOWINGLY pick and usually like, the weakest or craziest Faction/Race/Class. I've gotten so used to it I kind of pick them consciously now, I'm like "Might as well, F* it". It's just like this crazy little thing about me, every single movie character I like DIES HORRIBLY. WTF.