[Suggestion] Make the AV Turret for what it was intended

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by LegoFarmer, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Nintyuk

The only changes we need are The Big glowy Faction Shield That isn't rendered at the mo and have a damage drop off at extreme ranges like 500m. Apart from that It's one of the best balanced items in the game right now.
  2. RealityWarrior

I disagree 100%. All of those changes would suck so bad. The number one complaint about the AI turret is that darn glowing shield.

I think the only balance that may be needed is to reduce damage to INF on a direct hit. It should take 2 hits to kill infantry not one. It is after all an AV weapon. I abuse the OHK on inf constantly. I think it should smack them hard but not kill them in one shot. AKA the Phoenix nerf. Just apply the same nerf to infantry that they did to the Phoenix and It is fine.
  3. Nintyuk

The infantry thing is pretty much a non issue, the complaints that I feel are most valid are the ones from the vehicle users. If your killed by it as a ingqntry man you probably would of been killed quicker by a sniper as in my many months of using the turret I have less than ten infantry kills with it and only one was on a moving target (a poor TR medic who was running in a very predictable path diagonally away up a slope).

The key issues that I agree that need adressing are the vehicle attacks at extreme ranges. By increasing It's visual profile and reducing It's effectiveeness at ranges that vehicles would struggle to fight back should be all that's needed to offer a fair and balanced weapon.
  4. RealityWarrior

I have many times more kills with it on Inf than on vehicles. I would hazard to guess 30% of my kills with it are people in vehicles. I bet I had more than 10 kills on Inf in one sitting before. Just last night I had 6 and one TK OOPS!

I find it really pretty easy to guide into moving targets within inf render range. (Note last night I was on the ledge around a bio lab hitting people rushing in from one of the outposts toward an air pad on foot. I got 2 infiltrators that were shooting at me and damaging my turret because they were below me) I almost feel guilty doing it because I hated it happening to me from Phoenix's. I feel the same argument I used vs them should be used vs me.

I think it is fine vs vehicles. It is hard to see but only till they find you. Then... instant death. I die to Tanks the most in my turret, then Snipers, then Phoenix hits.

1 av turret vs 1 tank at any range is a fair fight. He can run and repair then search me out or leave entirely. Actually killing someone one on one is rare unless you catch them not caring or not paying any attention. Tankers hate them when they face groups of them. 1 isn't that powerful. Heck you can almost out repair 1.

*Edit - I do think that rending the rocket at long ranges could be a good fix. That to me is a bug fix more than a balance issue but would address both birds with one stone.
  5. Nintyuk

I honestly have never been killed on foot by a Mana AV turret and I've only been killed by it in a tank once or twice. It just dosen't feel like a significant issue to most people. The main bulk of complaints for the weapon come from it's ability to snipe with it at ranges were infantry or vehicle you have no real way of fighting back or even be able to detect were it's coming from.
    And as a heavy user of the AV turret my suggestions are what I feel are acceptable concessions to bring it in to line and address their issues.
    My main note with your suggestion is that it should still do the same amount of damage to max suits as 1 rocket plus a sticky grenade can save me from a MAX who is determined to kill me and gives chase.
  6. RealityWarrior

Oh I have no issue with it's current damage to maxes at all :) I think the same to all inf would be great really. Remove shield and 1/2 health. a 2nd hit even with full shield (no healing) would kill.

I have to admit I also have never been killed by an AV turret when on foot OUTSIDE of my turret.It does take skill to hit a running target. It isn't easy. That said I have a HARD time hitting tanks at extreme range. even when sitting still. moving tanks at 500+ are extremely hard for me. Hitting infantry is much easier for me for some reason.

AV turrets actually get me in my turret quite often.

Keep in mind I only play Engi and rarely drive any vehicle. This isn't coming from a haters point of view.
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618038996545/stats
  7. Nintyuk

I'm the same I'm mainly a career support engy. Although because I use c4 I tend to get my vehicle kills that way rather than using the turret as in the heat of the moment it's faster.
    Weee stats! https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618035922289
  8. Kid Gloves

One of the big issues I have with the AV turret is its lack of zoom / ADS. This means that someone with a mouse clutch or high-dpi mouse has a much easier time using it than someone who does not. For a weapon 'designed' for long-range combat, this seems like a really weird design decision.

Either that, or its designed to make it 'harder' and they just forgot that people have hardware that can overcome that.

Personally I think they should introduce the idea of being able to zoom-ADS on the turret (to even the playing-field based on gamer hardware), and then look closely at its effective range, etc.

Wire-guided for the first ~150m would be fine IMO. It allows for some initial post-shot correction and after that the 'wire runs out'. Better aiming tools means the shot can be more accurate, but the slow projectile speed and lack of wire-guide past 150 means a) no dropping 3+ rounds on a tank at once, and b) vehicles can actually get out of the way.

It'd still be very potent, just not quite as broken.
  9. Alvin Karpis

Nawp. In real warfare, a turret is a turret. It doesn't matter who you fire it at.
  10. Santondouah

Oh ! Look ! Some complaining ESF pilots coming on the horizon !
    Seriously this would be an ESF slaughter...
  11. Singed

How about remove the wire guided feature? Make it just a dumb fire with faster velocity but less damage.
  12. Nintyuk

Yes, let's gut the entire mechanics of the weapon and nerf the damage too. Don't worry we increased the projectile speed!

No. Let's address the main issues and the main issues only. Your changes would actually make it better at long range sniping. If you guys won't accept a drastic damage drop beyond a certain distance how about having the rocket start to spin and occilate after a certain distance that makes the rocket very inaccurate at range unless the user constantly corrects the trajectory on the turret. This would make them very vunerable and it makes pixel shots impossible.
  13. unjulation

nope to the op -

have you ever tried to use the av turret? its a big pain in the *** to place in fact so bad the only way to use it is if you have time to place it correctly which for a tripod is rubbish
  14. Bill Hicks

what? you dont have to hit them in the head. Any part of the body is a insta kill.

" It has a high skill cap as in it takes skill to use as in there is a big gap between the experienced and those just starting out with it "

LOL YOU GOTTA BE TROLLIN.