State of the game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Breidr, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Rolfski

If you log in now you won't notice that much difference except for Esamir, that has gotten a serious lattice overhaul.

The game is basically on hold atm because the whole dev team is rebuilding it from the ground up to run smoother.
    I'd say wait another month and come back around 1st anniversary (Nov 21st). By that time the game should run a lot smoother, the World Domination Series should have fixed population issues somewhat and some announced surprise anniversary content will hit the streets. Who knows, we even might see an updated Amerish or finished Hossin by then.
  2. Tnsr

Right now I would say we are in early alpha stage.
    Important game flow mechanics are worked on, game performance is worked on. Maybe mid next year this game could be in a release ready state. 2 years after it was originally released in a pathetic state.
    Unfortunately the game designers and decision makers don't have a clue and made so many stupid decisions, this game never had a chance to grow.

But don't forget. Support until 2025.
  3. Jokkie

Is it a coincidence that they are working hard on optimization because of playstation 4? I doubt it. Hopefully they will seriously work on the meta game afterwards.
  4. Littleman

Oh, I get this 110%. For a game like Planetside 2, I imagine the best balance is to provide people with options for OP defenses, and options to work around those OP defenses. Tank and pod spam causing you to flame? Wear flak. Flak armor grinding your gears? Use a kobalt or basilisk or your nosegun to farm infantry. Sadly, most tankers and podders fail to evolve to this point, opting to moan instead in the same way snipers moan about NW while refusing to use anything but their precious BAs.

Infantry are like the universal prey in game, but they have the methods to combat their predators. The problems with this approach are two-fold however: newbs don't have immediate access to high ranks of flak and nanoweave, and these certifications have to be good enough, quickly enough, to really make a difference. Plus, it's pretty damn lousy that they're damn near necessary to compete, making ammo, grenade, munitions, and utility pouches rather rare. These really should have their own slot. ASC is kind of a bargain: it's more of a recovery mechanism. If it gave 100 extra shielding at max rank, it might be worth it in comparison to NW and flak but still wouldn't prevent a BA one shot, just provide a little extra life in situations where the faster recovery would be desirable, not merely beneficial (all things being fair, you know?)

As a new HA, a decent rocket launcher would help too, as the default is a sluggish, underwhelming piece of crap that NEEDS the A2G/G2G specific launcher velocities to be competitive.

HE and maybe rocket pods need splash... again. Especially if flak armor is getting buffed... again (when the ESF update hits... eventually.) Of course, the AI noseguns might need a little reworking too.

Just... a myriad of things need to be done that encourages an evolving, self-balancing battlefield rather than this... CRAP we have now that is ultra stale because NW is the only thing necessary, tanks are fragile, ineffective pieces of crap, and only the most stubborn pilots and snipers still do their thing. I love being a grunt in the trenches, believe me, but I never have to consider wearing flak because the majority of my explosive based deaths have been from grenades, and really, that's on me if one of those gets me. HE tanks and rocket pods (versus infantry) have gone from deadly to annoying, blinding screen quakers. And really, it is amazing that more tankers don't take an AI secondary, but maybe a non-cannon as an AI primary would make a more interesting game for everyone. It's frankly amazing the Prowler doesn't have a rotary cannon that fires 75mm shells.
  5. MorganM

I'd say wait until Hossin and Battle Islands are released.

You'll have had a longer break and be jones'n more.
    There will be distinct, new, content to enjoy.
    A bunch of smaller updates will have happend in that time.

If you were playing over the last 3 months you'd notice the changes but coming back after 3 months I could easily see you feeling like the game is roughly the same.

Personally I love F2P games. I refuse to drop $50+ on a game I might like... or might not. I'm not going to pay to play a game I know little or nothing about. I despise paying for content in games I never get to be a part of. F2P gets me in the door for free and I often pay money so I'm down with it. Plenty of P2P options out there for those that prefer it.
    • Up x 1
  6. Aegie

Personally, I play LA almost exclusively and only because moving in 3 dimensions makes the game a lot less boring (also play(ed) a lot of TRIBES; plus I live in deep space and a mask is over my face) and I run Adrenaline Pump always. Screw NW, if I wanted something like a boring health crutch...well...I could just spend all my time as HA with absurdly large magazines, extra shields that stack with extra health... or vehicles/MAXs for that matter. Personal preference of course and I mean no real ill will- those options just are not really my thing. It is easy, however, to see how 10% sprint only =/= 25% more health (that stacks with other abilities) from a competitive perspective but this game is already about as far from competitive as a FPS can get.
  7. deggy

Do tell me what non-splash weapon I can use to kill infantry instead of coming to the Forums and "moaning" about it.

Oh, wait, I only have three choices. HE, HEAT, and AP. I'm already using the one with the least splash. Oh well.
  8. Littleman

Assume for a second my example supposes HEAT and HE actually have splash again before deigning to think, let alone respond again...
  9. deggy

The thing tankers were "moaning" about was the removal of splash from HE. So that's not exactly an assumption I can be expected to make given the tone of your post.
  10. Littleman

I recommend reading more than the first paragraph in the future.

You know... so you can respond intelligently to the full context of the post, not the little blip you chose to quote.
  11. Torok

State of the game:

ZOE maxes winning the WDS and the infantry gameplay
    Vulcan harrassers laughing at puny NC sunderer defenders
    Drop pods winning sundererside
    Game updates are now urban legends
    Player studio helmets will eat your money
    Outfits struggling to reach the end of the month
    SAS-R new infiltrator meta
  12. Earthman

VS dominating the event, but TR is still, according to the meme-driven hivemind, the "OMG OP NERF STRIKERS TR NO SKILL ZERG" faction. :confused:
  13. Nobalification

WTF? you said totaly stupid thing. Vulcan is OP only on short range. Rocket launcher from NC is 100 times better than this piece of sh*t.