The Interesting Weapon Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Delnar_Ersike, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Delnar_Ersike

#1 could be interesting, but I don't know if the client can actively detect whether or not it's daytime (sure, you get a graphical change, but I don't know if it has a tie-in to the game systems themselves). None of the rest count though, since all of them would need the game to implement completely new mechanics.
    System/mechanic doesn't already exist in the game (laying down mines is like laying down equipment, which is restricted to infantry), suggestion is void.

People, remember that you're limited by the systems that are already in the game. However, consider it as a challenge instead of a restriction. Plus, seeing as no real effort has to be done for the programmer if you only use existing game systems, the idea would be MUCH easier to implement, so you never know when something inspired by your suggestion suddenly pops up in the game, especially considering that the designers and artists will be done with their part in the optimization process long before the coders are.
  2. NoblePixel

The 'tiny feet' thing reminds me of this minigame in an old Xbox title called Fusion Frenzy. I don't have a picture, but I remember it was hilarious. Just imagining it in Planetside makes me chuckle :)
    • Up x 3
  3. SarahM

Target designator/laser pointer - unlimited ammo, no damage, as long as the trigger is held, it projects a laser beam from the user to where they're pointing. Obviously, a bright beam would call attention to user and target alike...
  4. Makora

Wha
    What you did there, I f*cking see it! :D Nice one. I liked the snot gun myself.
  5. K2k4

Repulse launcher/repulse grenades Utilizing the same technology found in jump pads, the repulse launcher fires a grenade-like projectile which does no damage, but forces those caught in its blast radius away from the point of the explosion, shielding them temporarily in a buff that prevents falling damage. The repulse grenade operates like the launcher except that it is on a 2 second fuse from the time it first impacts the ground, and has a slightly larger blast radius. This could be used for several purposes: 1: it could assist a player or his teammates in traversing canyons, climbing cliffs, or scaling towers; 2: it could disburse an enemy advance or remove several enemies from a bridge or tower against their will. 3: it could allow a player to survive a fall by allowing them to cushion their landing with the blast. or 4: it could be used in all sorts of shenanigan videos.
  6. Delnar_Ersike

This would be a very useful utility weapon, especially for platoons and outfits; I like it.
    I don't think you realize this, but jump pads work by applying a pre-baked velocity to players, which is assigned by the designers on a case-by-case basis just like all other static objects on the map. This means that if you want to transfer the "jump pad effect" to an item, it will push everyone in a radius in one, specific, pre-baked velocity, which really puts the damper on any repulsing effects. For example, let's say the pre-baked velocity for repulse grenades was (10, 0, 10) m/s, (so 10 m/s up and to the East). This would mean that every single repulse grenade thrown would push everyone in its blast radius by (10, 0, 10) m/s; no matter where you are compared to where the grenade landed, be it 5m behind you or 1 m in front of you, so long as you are within the blast radius, you would get pushed 10 m/s to the East and 10 m/s up. You get what I'm talking about? Neither radial (gradually changes based on direction from source), nor dynamic (gradually changes based on distance from source) pushing effects are currently part of PlanetSide 2.
  7. Liquid23

well we have heal over time so damage over time shouldn't be a problem
  8. K2k4

I figured that the effect isn't something that can be put in game, since engineers have been asking for deployable jump-pads or elevators for a while which 'seems' more simple than the repulse grenade idea. I just thought a grenade that had a side affect that wasn't just 'damage enemies' or 'blind enemies' would be refreshing and open up some gameplay possibilities.
  9. ADUILO

5: It could be used for maximum overtrolling!

Also, bump!
  10. Delnar_Ersike

Thanks for the bump, but I've already explained why pushing grenades/pads/deployables wouldn't work in a previous post: