The Interesting Weapon Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Delnar_Ersike, Sep 20, 2013.

1. The Shermanator

Melee weapons
    The concept is to have small, one-handed weapons that can replace the knife appearance and animations. Since this world is dominated by rifles and other firearms, a two handed weapon does not strike me as making sense.

New Conglomerate: Make-shift weapons
    One-handed mattock: Over-head swing using the spike to penetrate thick armor. Potentially more damaging than the knife, but with a larger follow-through because of the greater heft of the weapon.

Crowbar: Effective re-skin of the knife. Purely cosmetic.

Barbed wire wraps: Left jab, with barbed wire wound tightly around the soldier's gauntlet. Less damaging than the knife, but with a much more forgiving follow-through that allows follow-up attempts to melee or bringing your gun to bear sooner.

Terran Republic: Standardized equipment
    Entrenching tool: Left-to-right swing with the serrated edge of the spade to cut deep into flesh. Potentially more damaging than the knife, but with a larger follow-through because of the greater heft of the weapon.

Riot baton: Effective re-skin of the knife. Purely cosmetic.

Knuckledusters: Fast hook with a specialized fist weapon charged with a tazer element. Less damaging than the knife, but with a much more forgiving follow-through that allows follow-up attempts to melee or bringing your gun to bear sooner.

Vanu Sovereignty: Science
    Hand held plasma cutter: Thrust with an industrial strength torch used in archaeology. Potentially more damaging than the knife, but with a larger follow-through because of the greater heft of the weapon.

Holoblade: Effective re-skin of the knife. Purely cosmetic.

Plasma gauntlet: Right-to-left backhand with a glowing module on the soldier's glove. Less damaging than the knife, but with a much more forgiving follow-through that allows follow-up attempts to melee or bringing your gun to bear sooner.

Nanite Systems: Because we really need more of these
    Bare hands: Right cross. Effective re-skin of the knife. Purely cosmetic.
  2. TheBloodEagle

3. Liquid23

I want a replacement for the knife that is a 2x4 board... as an Upgrade you could put a nail in it... or even smear poop on said nail which would cause an infection (DoT) so even if they manage to kill you first or get away they slowly die

an elegant weapon for a more civilized age!
  4. Takoita

B*tch slap just needs a better animation, IMHO.
  5. Takoita

I have no idea since I haven't played that game.
  6. Delnar_Ersike

I still don't think this would be possible with current systems, seeing as hit detection for projectiles (game not only detects if you hit a player, but also if you hit a projectile) isn't in PlanetSide 2 and would cause framerate drops if it were (since now not only would you need to check for player and vehicle hits, but also hits for every single projectile).
    Besides the fact that increasing melee damage is kind of useless (since you 2 hit kill either way, and letting a melee weapon 1 hit kill would be a VERY bad design decision), most of the stuff you posted is kind of boring; reskins are neat, but they're not interesting from a gameplay standpoint. The reduced backswing mechanic is still intriguing, as changing weapon switch times is also one of those "weird", underutilized properties currently only used by one item (forward grip attachment).
    I don't think damage over time is something PlanetSide 2's current system supports. Kind of odd, really...
  7. Regpuppy

They already do detect whether you hit phoenix rockets, assuming they render for you. Unless they decided to remove that feature in a recent update, the ability to do it is already ingame.
  8. Delnar_Ersike

For the purposes of the game, the Phoenix acts as a vehicle; when you fire it, you spawn a vehicle and become its pilot, kind of like how the Recon Drone was shown off. The reason you get hit detection for Phoenix projectiles, and only Phoenix projectiles, is because the game treats it like a vehicle.
  9. BoomBoom4You

Nuclear weapons. Can only be used twice a day when majority of squad leaders agree and empire has < 20% continent control :)

Wipes out an entire hex.

LOL
    • Up x 3
  10. Unclematos7

Here's what the NC needs for Infiltrator:

AND INTRODUCE LEVER-ACTION RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS FOR NC! How are we supposed to be space cowboys without lever-actions?!
  11. Traxiconn

The mental picture...
    All that rage...
    :,)
  12. Regpuppy

Doesn't matter. It means the mechanics exist to allow for something I suggested.
  13. DeathSparx

I don't know if this still works but it's worth trying.
  14. KariH

Trololol grenade - fils speakers & headsets just with very odd and disturbing sound - canot be muted.

Like this:

15. OFFIZUR4LUV

Stunrod, suit slot that makes you lighter, portable jump pads.
  16. Delnar_Ersike

Not really an "interesting weapon" per say, since lever-action guns function like semi-auto weapons from a gameplay standpoint.
    Turning every projectile into a vehicle is a bad idea, since it would not only remove lock-on rockets from the game (vehicles are coded to follow inertia and gravity if they have no driver, so dumbfires should still work), but also effectively double the amount of hit detection the game needs to calculate.
    Doesn't use existing game systems ("noise grenade" effect isn't in the game).
    Portable jump pads are impossible, since all existing jump pads work by launching you by a specific velocity determined by the map designers on a case by case basis. Making a portable one would be stupid, seeing as the player has no way of properly determining the precise velocity without introducing any possible exploits. Suit slots that increase player [sprint] speed and/or jump height are definitely doable, but would require new game systems, seeing as no such effect currently exists.

And by stunrods, I assume you mean melee weapons that apply the concussion grenade effect?
  17. OFFIZUR4LUV

I posted here thinking this was a "fun" thread, you just took the n out of fun.
  18. Delnar_Ersike

Guess you didn't read the original post. My goal was to gather suggestions for interesting stuff that could be implemented within a day or two, not to gather the most outlandish, vague, and TL;DR daydreams of every PlanetSide 2 player. If you want the latter, go to the Suggestions or Roadmap subforums, that's what they're there for, but if you're willing to go the extra mile to purify your idea down to a single sentence that leaves no room for misinterpretation, I'm all ears.
  19. randomusername146

1) Solar-powered Magrider Utility - is faster during the day

2) Instead of other Melee weapons, give me an underbarrel bayonet attachment. make it a 1HK and for the downside a slower attack animation (not instant like the knife)

3) you should be able to hack an enemy medic. If he then wants to heal comrades, he deals damage instead.

4) Air mines, would be fun, but theres too much AA in the game anywy.

5) lock on LMG's - think of the Alien franchise for an example ...endless hating and whining

6) Phasing Gun (primary weapon slot, medic only) - can't do any damage, very limited ammo and range, but teleports you to the destination you shot it at.
    • Up x 1
  20. TheMercator

Utillity for Lightning:
    Mine-launcher Launches 3 to 4 AV mines behind you, protects lightning from Harrassers and MBTs