Creating TR character and focusing on Light Assault. What should I get?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Raraldor, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Raraldor

So I've played VS and NC up to or past BR 40 and I'd like to do the same for TR to get a better understanding of the state of balance. In order to keep things fresh though I switch up my playing style on each faction (Vanu I was an HA mostly, NC is all about infiltrator) and am deciding on going LA for the TR.

At any rate what weapons do you guys recommend for a close range and what weapon for mid range on the TR side A bit of a reason would be nice but I can just look up the weapons another time.
  2. vulkkan

Jaguar works great at both close and midrange. It has excellent hipfire, retains good damage (unlike shotguns, the Lynx, and SMGs) at range, and has 0.75x ADS movement speed. If you can aim, the Jaguar will almost never let you down. Also, grab some nanoweave, C4, and upgrade your jumpjets. Pistols are all up to personal preference - I usually switch back and forth between the Repeater and Commissioner.
  3. Iridar51

Check my guide if you want to. The link is in my signature.
  4. LibertyRevolution

Jaguar with laser as your carbine. Its hipfire is awesome, even while flying.
    Nighthawk full auto shotgun if you want to shotgun.

Maxed out Jump Jets, this should go without saying..

Maxed out Advanced Shield Capacitor, suit slot.
    As LA your in and out, you kill a dude or 2 and then fly away and recharge your shields, ASC means less down time.

2 blocks of C4. Transform into the C4 Fairy!
  5. Raraldor

Thanks for your input everyone. I'd like to know your thoughts on TR pump action shotguns, as they seem more fun to use than full auto shotguns.
  6. Megaman3300

On the topic of shotguns, they're the only truly effective weapons for LA while jump-jetting because they don't suffer the same COF penalty as the carbines or SMGs. That said, in my experience the ability to dominate in sub 10m engagements means nothing if you can't close the distance quickly. When I run the Uppercut (certed, not bought thank you very much) without slugs, I use a Drifter/Adrenaline pump build so that I have a simpler time closing the distance on enemies. I personally recommend buying or certing the SMG-46 Armistice; with a compensator, forward grip, SPA, and 1x HS-NV, it's a 20m laser.
  7. Iridar51

They pretty much mirror the other factions' pumps, so no hidden secret there.

Actually, they do, it's just less apparent because with shotguns you're usually very close to your target so it doesn't matter. I've even heard of people using laser sights instead of ext. mags to tighten the COF while flying.
  8. Kronic

Never make ADS builds with SMGs. They suck at it to be quite frank, you be much better off with a Lynx for than kind of job. Always stick an adv laser on it and hipfire only. If you have to ADS, the target is too far away.

I used to use a laser sight with the Uppercut. The jumping CoF was barely any larger than standard. Firing in midair was way more reliable.
  9. Takoita

I suggest Haymaker with slugs.
  10. Spiritualised

Your autofire for logitech mouse sure looks suspiciously like a straight forward key macro are they legit now
  11. Corezer

The first thing you should get is a Trac 5 S with UBGL. Possibly get a 2 sight but I don't find much use for it maybe because I have 20/10 vision so I can find and stick targets with little need for magnification until I am outside effective range for the weapon and most carbines in general, ymmv.

Then get C4 and then nanoweave. This will be the most effective setup while you learn the weaponry it is also the best for "general purpose, with the terrans having the only s-carbine to perform so admirably as a gun, and having options against max and armor as well as a SHTF card with the grenade launcher. I would recommend soft points highly, ymmv on the silencer I like it because I feel most players are cod casuals who look at their map before using their ears. I take it off if I am attempting to break an outfit hold with my outfit tho, depending on the outfit as when skill goes up the silencer's cons are highlighted and the pros fade.

Next I would get my hands on a jaguar. great piece of equipment that is very versatile in infantry only combat such as tower stomping and amp station creeping.

For shotguns I would go either the barrage or the uppercut depending on if you like pumps, I personally don't use either as there are no places where I can't have scenarios which make them ineffective. They are most known for tower stomping but for instance when you are underneath one pad and see people creeping under an adjacent pad, you have to reveal yourself and take time to make a run. The only place I can see them useful is in amp stations surprisingly enough, you just have to stick in the buildings and be ready to change classes before the shields go down. (shotguns are good if you have one of them hax mice! no they wont get you banned most likely, they go against the spirit of SOEs policies but the programming is in the mouse not the computer so unless there is a mod visually watching you, it just looks like an insane finger. I'm a broke bro with a 20 dollar mouse so I use the repeater.)

I wouldn't get an SMG on TR for LA, the only ones worth some salt in my book are the Sirius and the cyclone, TR can just as easily use a Lynx to get better TTK with the same spray time.

The T-5 AMC is a good gun for plinking headshots out to a longish range before you drop to 5 headshots to kill, at which point even with max speed timing most people will move away before you can get em. if you learn the timing for your recovery and forego the use of HVA (which increases the interval between shots on semi auto fire), you can quad shot most people you catch unawares with tap fire in 4 stk range. You can also full auto effectively out further than other carbines.

medkits are good for solo harassing something like the upper area of a tech plant or a tower.

Rant complete.
  12. Kyouki

As far as I know Marcos are not legit and are a banable(is that even a word?) offense.
    • Up x 1
  13. Kociboss

Yeah, I remember that they were pretty straight-forward when it comes to macros.
  14. DeadliestMoon

You use this demeaning term and yet still have the audacity to bear the LA emblem?
  15. DeadliestMoon

For shotguns it depends on your skill. If you have a high level of aim then pump actions are for you. But if you have poor aim then stick to full auto shotguns.
  16. harmypants

[IMG]

Drifters all day, every day.
    For TR LA, I use the Barrage (6-shot semi auto shotgun) with extended mags, but the Haymaker will definitely work. I just like the fast reload.
    For carbines, the Jag is an easy choice, but the Trac5 S with Underbarrel Shotgun is also a fun setup. Not to actually fire like a carbine, but that close range insta-kill can really help out, and still leaves you with a slightly versatile weapon compares to the pump actions.
    Don't use an SMG, but if you do make sure it's the Hailstorm. You want that laser sight to tighten mid-flight cone of fire and an Armistice with 30 rounds is going to get you killed.
  17. LibertyRevolution

Drifters suck, they are too situational...
    They are great if you want to jump off a tower and take out an enemy sunderer, but other than that I use my normal Jump Jets.
  18. Leivve

Grab a few ranks in nano-weave and your jump jets, grab a brick of C4 and get a Jaguar, once you're rolling with an adv. laser, softpoint, a scope, and a suppressor (if you want one). Go for a second brick of C4 then after that max out your jump jets. Then you can get whatever you feel like. The Lynx in my opinion sacrifices too much for a small advantage at close range over the Jaguar, but I'm me, not you.

Quick note, AVOID SMGs, all SMGs in this game are weaker then the Jaguar and the Lynx. The board is tilted, the dice are loaded, the game is rigged, TR Carbines are better then TR SMGs.
    • Up x 1
  19. Kafein

There is virtually no reason to use a Lynx over a Jaguar, and I don't even consider the huge cert investment when saying this. I use a TRAC5-S as my general purpose carbine, as the LA synergizes extremely well with UBGL. You just have to be mindful of the minimum range. Another advantage of this weapon is the ability to do the last bit of damage with the grenade after 2 C4 bricks making you able to kill most sunderers without having to wait for the fire to destroy them. By the way, don't invest in flash grenades, they are broken. I use the uppercut with nothing but ext mag for CQC/tower stomping but I also have a nighthawk and that one is so much easier to use I don't think I'm using the best loadout. You can get a good semi auto shotgun for cheap so go for one of those first.
  20. Spiritualised

I was being facetious, I know they're not allowed, at least not in the manner hes using it. Thats why I reported the video and the player just before making my previous post. Its those type of players who come here when theyve been "falsely" banned and scream that theyve never used hacks. They may never have used hacks but ill bet they were exploiting a key macro or doing some other questionable thing. There's an offical SOE post on the subject somewhere. Their take on it is its allowed as long as its one key press one action, not one key press equals 20 split second actions. Whats the odds he uses his rifles in single shot mode while using that macro. I would say pretty high. Key macros in themselves are not cheating, its how you use them and his clearly shows him cheating with his. I personally hope his sorry *** gets banned
    • Up x 1