Prowler 120 HE is broken/silly

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SirJMD, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SirJMD

Currently the splash damage on the Prowler's 120 HE and HEAT is what I would call broken. Why do I think that? Well, look:

That's a 120mm High Explosive round from a tank, shot at the feet if a light assault - from which he survived.
    In comparison you can throw a soda can sized grenade, and he dies if he's within 1 meter.

We are looking at massive 120mm round, that in no way impairs the attacked, even though he is engulfed in fire and shrapnel. I don't play NC or VS, so I don't know if they have the same silly tanks, but feel free to add your comments about these.

At least he should be impaired in the same way you are after getting hit by a concussive grenade.
  2. RedDeadVirgo

120mm High Explosive round is just a name in a game.
    • Up x 4
  3. UberBonisseur

Remember when Prowlers could one-shot infantry TWO times, and other tanks couldn't ?

Now prowlers can two shot infantry one time, where other tanks can't.
    • Up x 18
  4. Torok

TR user complaining about tank vs infantry effectiveness, nice thread sir. NICE THREAD

It still does don't forget it, 2 direct hits = 2 infantry kills.

And for anyone else no this is not a post about balancing the prowler! Have a good day!

P.S. @OP: Tank vs Infantry balance is Fine, we've had our nightmare prior GU1 or 2 I don't recall, hopefully SOE will never go back to those times.
    • Up x 4
  5. Pikachu

Sorry but prowler must never have 1000 indirect damage again. They had it long ago and people hated it.
    • Up x 17
  6. IamDH

Because the prowler can shoot twice whilst the mag/vanguard can only shoot once.

It has to be fair
    • Up x 7
  7. uhlan

Nothing should be fair.

You adapt and overcome (easy in this game) or you get killed... twice.

This game is remarkably balanced in my opinion. It is the play style of the player base that gives the illusion of disorder.

Most of the posts created in the manner described by the OP come from frustration. Often times based on some preconceived real-world notion.

If you decide to tangle with infantry in such close quarters knowing the coded physics, it's all you brother.
    • Up x 1
  8. GamerOS

Not to mention that even with their combined Reload and refire speed they were more then just doubly as strong against infantry.

It was terrible.
  9. teks

ALL HE weapons are currently broken. Thats why noone uses them. I can't remember the last time I killed a HE tank.
    • Up x 6
  10. Mongychops

Not quite true, it is just far far far more situational.

When the enemy has less tanks than you do, and there are lots of enemy infantry around in a base, I like this loadout on my Magrider: VPC (Thermal), PPA (Thermal), prox radar, nanite auto repair, rival chassis. The VPC (HE) and the PPA just work together so well, as the long reload on the VPC (I have 4/5 reload upgrade so far) is covered by the fact that my 3/4 mag size PPA can fire continually for 26 seconds, killing/suppressing infantry out to long range until I can get back into cover (which is where the Magrider's rival chassis helps).

In the right situation, you can massacre infantry (Had kill streaks with my gunner of over well over 100 between us, it often ends when we run out of enemies, though yes, harassers will destroy you if you don't have good support.
    • Up x 1
  11. Naithe

True, which with the prowlers current at abilities, would be too much to add back in.

Although op brings up an interesting point.

What if a near miss caused an effect like a concussion grenade for a second or two.

Ofcourse not the entire splash should have the effect. But what if it was within 1m or so?

It wouldn't directly increase the killing power of a tank but would not punish a near miss as steeply as it currently is.
    • Up x 2
  12. Aegie

Mostly you just have the right loadout or the wrong loadout.

Adapting is typically just having the "right" thing in the "right" situation.

Oh yeah, that and shooting people in the back.
  13. uhlan

I have one loadout in a tank... one... and almost NEVER have a top gunner. Why would I since I put no certs in it and I have NEVER bemoaned the loss of splash since I rarely need it in the first place. If I don't kill someone on the first shot, I chalk it up to helping out my mates.

I do very well, all things considered. I don't spawn camp unless it's necessary and fight on the run more often than not or from range.

It's all in the way you approach the game. Know your limitations based on the game code and your skill level. It's very simple.

Your situation as you term it is all you most of the time. Or at least it should be considering the level of competition in the game (er, no offence to anyone)

If you get killed twice, the same way, in short succession, means it's your fault.

Getting caught out teaches you to adapt and go back and overcome.

These lessons aren't learned unless you die (or come close to it) in the first place, however.
  14. SirJMD

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but this wasn't meant as a complaint about prowlers - I think they are fine, but it's the mechanic of the massive explosion that makes no sense.

I remember GU2 (I think it was that one) where Prowlers were insane. There were no doubt that they were infantry grinders.

I like that players are encouraged to aim better in order to kill, and to make this perfect, I'd like to see an effect like the concussive grenade (slightly turned down) for whenever there's a massive explosion near you. This is whether it's a Prowler, Magrider or Vanguard.

And to not make this a massive buff, the inner damage radius should be slightly reduced - at least for the Prowler, which would mean that two WELL PLACED shots would still kill.

With that said, Magrider strafe is still OP ;)
  15. Robes

Sorry, anti-infantry weapons aren't allowed in this game, just a metric **** ton of AV and AA.
    • Up x 3
  16. EvilJollyT

No. Absolutely not. This game does not need more AOE spam effects. Please for the love of god.

Worst idea ever.

Everybody screamed to the heavens about screen shake during beta and with good reason....... and now you want a concussive effect?!?

Do people even think before they post?
    • Up x 2
  17. Torok

We had that, went by the name of the "flinch mechanic" and was way more frustrating than anything else really, it wasn't immersive and it did hinder infantry gameplay even more when defending bases against vehicle zergs, which is also the average scenario of every 48+/48+ fight in this game.

No thanks, the game is going forward
  18. Torok

my 1221 kills with the HE lightnings disagree with this post.
    took like no more than 2 weeks playing it occasionally, got 1229 with the Heat but got double the times of "shots fired" count
    • Up x 1
  19. DashRendar

I read the thread title and thought you were going to say Prowler is OP, so I was going to come in here and call you silly. Now I just don't know what to say...
    • Up x 1
  20. Mongychops

Screen shake is still in the game, though toned down, as of at least yesterday (was defending quartz ridge from prowler zerg).