What flight controls do the best pilots use?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hypnoticcc, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Hypnoticcc

How do you set up flight controls, the default ones are really bad.. what are common ones? I have a razer naga mouse with 12 keybinds but i don't know what controls are actually used
  2. Oreo202

Default controls, maybe rebinding minimap zoom/switch weapons to different keys, rebind eject to the other side of the keyboard, and binding pitch up/pitch down to mouse 4/mouse5. The defaults aren't aren't bad, they just take some getting used to.
    • Up x 2
  3. Hypnoticcc

How are they good? the default pitch and rolls are the arrow keys on the keyboard. How am i supposed to take my right hand off the mouse to use them, then i can't fire,
  4. Oreo202

Uhh... pitch and roll are bound to the mouse.
    • Up x 2
  5. IOwnblueacre

Also, might want to bind exit vehicle to a key other than "e." Don't want to accidently pop out when you're just trying to reload. I bind mine to c,
  6. GigaClutch

WASD moved over to ESDF, camera toggle on A, expand minimap Q, Roll on W and R, reload, T, analog throttle on D with decelerate on X to tap for landing, zoom minimap on Mouse Scroll Wheel, pitch up and down on Mouse Thumb Buttons, exit vehicle on 4 (same as repair tool) and spot on Left ALT.

Spend quite a while considering this, works well for my larger hands.

PS: Ditch the naga, its a silly concept and doesn't really work well for anything.
  7. Hypnoticcc

its just my mouse i had it. i didn't specifically buy it for this lol
  8. travbrad

I'm certainly not a "best pilot" by any means but I just use the standard controls. I do max out the flight sensitivity AND turn up the DPI on my mouse when flying though (1600dpi for flying, 800DPI for infantry). Without being able to switch dpi I don't even think I could fly in this game. Even maxed out flight sensitivity isn't nearly enough without the dpi adjustments.

Joysticks are better for certain aspects of flying too. If you get involved in a turning/rolling battle, you are going to eventually run out of room on your desk/mousepad with a mouse, whereas with a joystick you can just keep turning endlessly. On the other hand aiming with a mouse is easier for most people, and aiming is a pretty important part of air combat. :p
  9. IronRoids

Bind your analog thrust to something useful and close by as its a handy tool from time to time and rebind the ejection key so you don't accidently plummet to your death. Otherwise personally I use the default settings with flight sensitivity cranked way up.
  10. Phazaar

Defaults>anything else.

Unless you've got a setup that you use in all other games too (like a switch to ESDF if you don't use a gaming keyboard), it'll cause you far more hassle moving your hands about and having unfamiliar controls between different games etc. Anything that takes you out of your comfort zone will slow down your reactions significantly.

The only thing to do is augment. Some like to switch E somewhere else. I don't (for the same reason as not moving the movement cluster). ` and 4 are my 'roll left' and 'roll right' commands, (realised there's never a time where they're useful on the mouse since my DPI is so high). They're more or less for aerobatics unless you play on your grandmother's DPI/sensitivity though. By combining them with Mouse 4 + 5 bound to pitch up/down, you can do perfect barrel rolls, corkscrews, loop-de-loops and anything else you care to mention.

I also have ascend bound to right click, but that's because I've been gaming for far too long and proper games always used to use this bind (because alternate fire didn't exist and neither did mouse wheels, extra buttons, or even the WASD cluster), and fortunately have a RAT 7 which allows me to put zoom/sights on an extra-sensitive thumb button.

The fact of the matter is that adjusting your controls isn't going to suddenly make flying in this game feel natural to you. It's a completely different mechanic to what you've flown with elsewhere, and that makes it -so- much more fun. Just practise. A lot. In the VR. And that God (and us vets) you have a VR, because we had to learn by ramming ourselves into cliffs in the real world, costing 200 resources a go and a 15 minute timer... Yucky.
  11. BigIronRanger

12. Ronin Oni

ONLY thing you need to do is bind up and down pitch to a couple of keys ('E'/'C' for up/down works great. Also a couple mouse buttons can work perfect if you have them which you do) in addition of course to the normal mouse movement.

Lets you make hard full crank pitch turns.

I'd throw flares to your mouse too of course....

Oh, and mouse wheel up = primary, down = secondary. That way I don't have to worry about clicking twice and switching back to first >.< I do that for Infantry and tanks too though.
  13. SolLeks

E - analoge throttle
    ~ - eject
    Mouse 4/5 - pitch up / down
    sensitivity - .53

rest default.
  14. Hypnoticcc

So do i actually do the rolls/left right/ by moving my mouse to the left and right?
  15. HLM

Yes. By default, mouse controls pitch up/down and roll left/right. Yaw (rudder) left/right is controlled by A/D.

Isn't reverse pitch up/down disabled by default? I'd imagine that would be the first thing most pilots would enable. I recently made a new account on the test server and almost planted my nose right into the ground after taking off because of this.

Other than that, the most common things to change are:
    - Rebind exit vehicle to something not right next to the movement and reload keys
    - Bind pitch up/down to mouse thumb buttons if you have them
    - Bind analogue thrust to something (not bound by default I think)

I also bound C to descend and CTRL to mouselook

I did attempt to make use of the roll keys by using Q and E witht he usual WASD movement keys but then realised I had nowhere left to put my spot key.
    I just might give a modified ESDF setup a try some time..
  16. Total_Overkill

Mouse and Keyboard, Default, no custom keybinds, no macros... get use to the control scheme, it works.
    And yes, i am one of the best >.>
  17. ItsJustDash

Mouse and keyboard

E set to toggle
    Tilda exit

Side mouse buttons pitch up and down.
  18. Hypnoticcc

how do i know? lol
  19. Total_Overkill

Stat sites exist for such reasons.
  20. Hypnoticcc

your character name is hidden..