Have they fixed Lasher yet?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ketobor, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Ketobor

I quit playing at the time they nerfed Lasher when it needed buffs.

Have they improved it after adding massive CoF, reduced damage, and reduced ammo for marginally faster killing in ideal conditions(that are still lower than all other main weapons)?
  2. Chipay

Well, it's a big deal better than it used to be at killing infantry with direct shots and kinda maintained its niche in dealing splash damage.

It's a LMG with high direct hit damage, low RoF, bad accuracy and splash damage.
    Don't expect to use it at long range, but it's still great at suppressing fire and actually has a big chance to win engagements at close range.
    • Up x 2
  3. KenDelta

It's a Harassment/Suppression weapon , not meant for killing but meant for support fire and keeping the enemy in check.
  4. [HH]Mered4

The Lasher has been truly ADJUSTED. Seeing it as a nerf/buff thing is not going to help you get your head around actual balance.

You kill an enemy with no nanoweave in 5 direct hits, and splash kills enemies in like 25 or so. It is highly accurate for burst fire at extreme ranges (like render distance :p)

Mostly you should use it to just lay down a barrage at a key corner or doorway, keeping the enemy at bay. Its also good for flanking in general, and absolutely amazing at two things:

Melting MAX suits.
    Clearing rooms

Abuse it :eek:
    • Up x 1
  5. LowTechKiller

I love the Lasher for it's uniqueness. The game needs way more of this...maybe an equally interesting and identifiable niche gun category for each class, like the HA's "heavy" weapons. Effective in their own way, but totally different across each empire.

Plus, I'd love to see a dual (beefed-up) Lasher type weapon for the Harasser. Primarily an anti-infantry gun, but that's also capable of dealing splash damage to vehicles.
    • Up x 5
  6. Arkenbrien

They have one already. It is called the PPA.
    • Up x 5
  7. Lucidius134

I can sometimes kill enemies with it in a straight up 10m fight, even HA's. I'm not a very good shot and I only have NMG 3/NW2.

I would like the old one back but the new one isn't that bad.
  8. Yonasu

I'm not really sure what kind of world you live in or it's apparent you haven't used the lasher at all. It does not melt anything. It has never cleared a room. You seem to believe it fires underbarrel grenades or something?

You got a guy hiding at a doorway, would you rather have 3 HA's with lashers or 3 engies with underbarrel grenade launchers?

Highly accurate burst fire, ah yea first shot. it would take 2 minutes to kill someone at range by waiting out the bloom after the first shot.

I'm in the process of getting auraxium with this, its my 7th HA weapon i think, and it's really painful. And before anyone tries to say it; NO it doesnt magically get better if you have more people using it. forget it. theres so many more variants of weapon/classes you can use instead of having 10 idiots with lashers running around a biolab. They'd die in a heartbeat to whatever you throw at them.

Don't get me wrong, it can be fun at times, but the times are way too far apart. Those times you see 4-5 low brs trying to hide behind a rock and you come up behind them. It's fun, but an underbarrel launcher would kill them all faster. or sticky grenades? a shotgun? knifing?... ok im being silly now :)
    • Up x 1
  9. Jalek

Seemed most useful for firing into windows and doors of the outbuildings when moving into a base, enough splash to chase people out and occasionally kill one at long range. Still have to watch for friendlies moving in though, seems very effective at killing them.
  10. [HH]Mered4

ROFLMBO

You sir, are using the Lasher like it is just another LMG.

Heads up: Its not meant to be used in a straight up fight. its a SURPRISE weapon. It eats MAX units faster than any other primary infantry weapon in the game, due to its classification as an explosive.

Here is how you clear a room with the Lasher, or kill a MAX (this is the easy way):

Throw concussion grenade into room. Pause. Move in and let the splash do the rest. I have cleared points covered by 4-5 guys this way. This also works on MAX units in the open field.

If I had a choice, I would take the Lasher over an UBGL any day. Know why? Because, quite simply, it can kill multiple enemies in the time it takes for the UBGL people to reload. Three Lashers working over vox would be almost unstoppable in a biolab - I'd have to check, but I think the TTK on a MAX unit with no armors would be 3-4 seconds against three Lashers.

You also have not tried taking people out at long range - its TONS easier than other weapons because you do not actually have to hit them directly, and you can usually unload on someone quite a bit before they realize what is going on. I use it to suppress/kill snipers regularly. Speaking of infiltrators, this thing is great at finding cloaked ones. :D
    • Up x 2
  11. Drealgrin

it's a fun gun, my most used infantry weapon.

But yeah, Rate of Fire increase doesn't make up for the splash nerf.
    it helps kill max units quicker, but it only compensates for the massive concussion grenade nerf.

The concussion grenade nerf combined with the splash nerf is what killed the Lasher.

Not to mention that enemy medics can outheal splash damage with their ability + flak armor and enemy heavy assaults just shrug it off with their second shield, lasher splash damage is all but useless due to the nerf.

Any gun with old concussion grenades was orders of magnitude more effective. But now that the splash damage does literally no damage to flak armor users, lasher splash only serves give your enemy another indicator of your general location for the enemy on the outer rim of your concussion grenades to whip around and murder you with their guns.

Now, if they increased the splash radius by an extra meter to compensate for the splash damage dropoff nerf, then it would have a nice niche for harassing corner campers.
    But as it is now, it's a shadow of it's former crappy self for what it used to be good at.
  12. Andy79

its a splash weapon, so its seen a bit more use in the last days

/cough
  13. Ketobor

People seem to think its fine, or even better, but I am really not seeing it.

It seems like the response is 'no, it hasn't changed, but we like it'.
  14. VoidMagic

They're fixin everything... they're fixin it real good.

SVA-88 vs Lasher ... umnnn yea that's a real hard question at the terms.
    I spend alot of time thinking about that one... lol... NOT!
    You want splash... take a deci... you want disco party... take a lasher.

Best part about using a Deci for splash... you sitll got yer SVA-88
  15. Verisimilituder

The answer is no. It's still the stupid new variant. They took the only gun with Planetside 1-style hipfire characteristics and homogenized it.
  16. CaligoIllioneus

I love the Lasher. One of the best Vanu weapons in my opinion, I have it auraxiumed. Always try to have the higher ground. Shooting at the same level as you is less effective but still good, but try to never have to shoot someone above you with it.
  17. Mighty_Neckbeard

I call my Lasher the Annoy-a-tron 9000. I loaded it up with a 6x scope. It inaccurate as hell and you don't get many kills, but its a weapon that forces a concentrated group to send people out to deal with you.

Plus...as the the others said, it chews up MAXs like no one's business. You probably won't get the kill, but you'll soften them up enough for the boots on the ground folks to finish them off. If folks are in voice range, I almost always call out before I starting hosing rooms down.

That said...make sure you are aware of your environment before you open up at distance....it eats up friendly MAXs' armour just as quickly....and with the travel time of the bolts, you might end up hosing down a friendly squad that is making a rush on the door that weren't there when you originally pulled the trigger.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ender

To me it feels like whatever they did with the last change, that flak 5 now affects the Lasher's direct hit orbs too. When I come across flak 5 users I do practically nothing to them. Then again, maybe i'm a bad and missing them :)
  19. LowTechKiller

True, but you become just another Heavy Assault dou.che that uses a rocket launcher as his primary weapon.
  20. LowTechKiller

Although I agree with you for the most part, I strongly disagree with you about 3 Lashers being unstoppable in a biolab fight. The number of friendly idiots who'd see 3 Lashers working, but STILL run in front of you would cause you to eat a bullet.

Oh, and although you don't need to get direct hits to be effective, it's really good when you do because your target eats both the direct damage AND the splash damage for every round that hits.:p