Discussion of WDS Scoring System

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RHINO_Mk.II, Sep 17, 2013.

1. RHINO_Mk.II

Taken out of context.

The reason that 50-25-25 population distribution does not equal 50-25-25 territory distribution is this: Territories in PS2 do not require a garrison force, you can put every single one of your men on the front line and keep it moving forward, because territories behind your lines are locked and cannot be captured. So the side with the larger territory doesn't need to waste manpower holding it, and in fact benefits from the increased resources enough to tip the scales on the front line and push forward after a sufficiently long period of resource attrition.
  2. Regpuppy

Except the human factor is involved in this and they do not need to keep people in the bases they already took if they keep pushing the line. I understand what you're trying to quote and it does not apply here.
  3. Aegie

So then you think it is a coincidence that world populations are around 40% TR 30% NC 30% VS and WDS score is 40% TR 30% NC and 30% VS?

I'm not trying to say that you are wrong in your assessment of the details, I am only trying to point out that overall, in the long run, these tactics are available to and used by the different factions and that while it is true we can imagine many scenarios where a faction could have 50% of the population and get creamed by the other two factions these things are neither likely in the first place nor likely to be commonplace- hence the law of large numbers and why I would predict that the outcome of scores from WDS will reflect the population distributions fairly well.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be combative I was just trying to explain my reasoning.
  4. Aegie

Statistics are used with surprising effect in psychology and sociology- both rife, if not defined by, the human factor.

Take something like suicide for instance, a very personal act brought about by a lifetime of idiosyncratic experiences, and I think a subject that is clearly more difficult to understand than how video game mechanics work, yet I can predict with a fair amount of certainty how many are likely to be recorded next year overall in the world and within the different countries that report these figures. Will there be error, of course there will be and if you want to call this error the "human factor" then feel free to do so but I do not think you understand what I quoted and why as well as you think you do.
  5. LowTechKiller

Wow...that's a lot of words that not a lot of people are going to read.

Here's my simple solution.
    Logging in daily to each of my 3 primary players (1 per faction) in order to collect my passive certs = WDS participation.
    I win.

Then I play my main as usual.
  6. MrMojay

This is no different than any other battle, capture stuff and WIN, only now you get a prize at the end.
  7. Regpuppy

Now you're going off on some tangent that isn't even vaguely related to what we're talking about. I'm talking basic strategy. If it can be abused, it eventually will be. This system prevents that. It IS possible for large outfits on the overpop to game capture points, more readily than underpop factions. It would also put the focus on holding territory, instead of just trading territory more efficiently. Add a modifier for population and we have a system where individual outfits have to do something to push the balance on a smaller level to at least win it for their server.
  8. LT_Latency

Can't the 2 losing teams just push the winning team back to the warp gate and collect points.

2 teams vs 1 should let the 2 teams hold territory for a long time and collect points.

One faction does not go over 50% very often and if they are getting doubled teams all the time, people are going to switch to that faction because it not easy anymore.
  9. RHINO_Mk.II

No, because the winning team can focus on just 1 enemy faction and push out that specific lattice lane no matter what the 3rd faction tries to do.
  10. Aegie

If so then I do not think you understood what my original post was really trying to say, no biggie.

We agree, I think but we are both talking about somewhat different things.
  11. BloodMonarch

The problem with your analysis is that you assume it will take the VS/NC the same amount of time to gain one half of the map as the TR. It won't, because the NC/VC not fighting TR is pushing against zero resistance, whereas TR has resistance all the way. Yes TR outnumber them 2:1 but they are still fighting for each base, which will be significantly slower than capping empty bases. This means that the NC/VS team pushing against zero resistance will quickly capture one half of the map and then start double teaming TR.

TR will then be pushed back into the 1/3 of the map around their warp gate, and even point scoring is achieved.
  12. LT_Latency

You can't push that hard, With both enemies punching you face in.

The other army will warp gate you and break you connection to everything. giving you nothing
  13. RHINO_Mk.II

Except that they can't. You have 3 lattice paths out of your warpgate. If you are the strongest faction, you can pick one lane and crush whichever faction is trying to defend it, and completely ignore the other lane.
  14. eatcow0

my vs outfit on connery is pretty disappointed in the scoring system. Soon as I saw the scoring metric, knew this was gonna happen due to the pop imbalances. Almost not worth it unless everyone gangs up on tr :p
  15. Kalendric

T
    But that's the problem. You can see it all the time in alerts when the fourth faction rears it's head and hops to the winning side, ensuring at best a quick win for the dominant Empire on every server or at worst a hopeless 2 hours stalemate with the weakest empire usually getting sod all rewards for two hours of play.

Only now we have that problem all the time, because there's a shiny reason to be on the team that is most likely to win and no reason to be on the likely losing candidates.
  16. CaptainYamerica

This