Striker thoughts

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LandoCalrissen, Sep 15, 2013.

1. LandoCalrissen

I just experienced some interesting problems with my "lock on" striker. I locked on fired one rocket and as usual they deployed a flare. Normal. Then I relocked after the time and fired all 4 remaining in clip. All of a sudden the rockets went straight up and became a 4th of July celebration. When did "lock on " become LOS. I noticed later that when I fired again the target flew behind the tree """" I """"" was standing by but I still had the lock and they turned straight up again. They did not go "through" something, never had one go through something I have noticed things killing me through walls and such but it is when I turned a corner...that is usually a lag issue I was already dead before I turned the corner...you have to play for that.... i.e. turn the corner long before you have 1 bar of health. So, my question is the striker operator now has to maintain LOS with the target "or" the rockets go straight up. That is not a "lock on" missle. SO I guess I wasted my certs. That was one of the only things in my heavy's arsenal that I could use to help stop massive armor attacks.....and still I had to hit them with 10 to 15 missles to kill one. Nerfed again....have to find another way.

And please don't give me the around the corner thing is OP, I never saw any of my rockets go around a corner, they luanch and follow similar to the skep or grounder....they just fired up and over the target....kinda of an advanced lock ....wait we are playing a futuristic combat game aren't we?
  2. Giggily

Deal with it.
    • Up x 12
  3. DashRendar

This affects all lock ons, the Striker is still the best by design. Deal with it.
    • Up x 7
  4. Panopticon01

If you didn't see the Stryker nerf coming I wonder if you've been playing the same game I have. On top of that, it's still really good in the open and you need to adjust your play-style to deal with its now (reasonable) quirks. So, to quote the anime theologian Giggily, "Deal with it."
    • Up x 3
  5. Paqu

I hope it stays this way for a while so TR might actually have to learn to use other weapons as well and not just the lock-on spam..
    • Up x 1
  6. Riskae

Meh they cant nerf teamwork.

All av weapons should be nerfed.

Long live prowlers!
  7. Makora

The Striker isn't fixed. The devs have not implemented the new lockon mechanic completely. Correct me if I'm wrong but last I checked, the plan was for lock-ons to require you to keep the lock, BUT the closer the target is to you, the faster the weapon locks on. By concept that at distance it takes as much time as now but at very close range the lock-on is nearly instant.

Color me orange but I don't think any of the lock-on weapons have a faster lock on close targets....
    • Up x 4
  8. Matlock0

Striker is currently the only lock-on that requires you to keep aiming at your target in order to keep the lock. Otherwise the missiles just go up in the sky.
  9. blackboemmel

if before that striker change the annihilator was as good as the striker, the annihilator now should be better. maybe you should use the annihilator now.
    • Up x 1
  10. Swoo

You are correct. The new lock-on mechanics speed up how quickly you acquire a lock based on distance from the target (with short ranges creating a near instant lock) and missile velocity and overall ramp-up speed being determined by the distance it's 'supposed' to travel on firing (so outrunning a short ranged shot won't be something to bank on, however long range shots will be much more avoidable). They also were supposed to halve the time the missile would seek down a target after a lock was broken (In the Striker's case, it will follow for 12s, after the changes it's supposed to follow for 6s).

So short range firing would be incredibly difficult to avoid, mid range firing would require you to hold the lock a little longer based on surrounding terrain, and long ranged firing would require the user to maintain the lock for as long as humanly possible. It would make strafing runs much, much more dangerous for pilots, but also would make it incredibly more difficult for LO users to completely negate air from extreme distances like before. In theory of course, who knows how it will actually work out.

It has been kind of peaceful since the patch for VS and NC though. I'm noticing a lot more armor and ESF's than before.
  11. XRIST0

Striker is practically useless now , majority of the times the missiles just shoot straight up into the air when locking onto aircraft .

Good job on the QQ guys , you got what you wanted .

You guys say deal with it , but you could have also done the same thing without crying like 5 year old girls about it .
    • Up x 2
  12. DocCruel

I've noticed even more ridiculous performance issues for the Striker now. Like locking onto a Flash, with no intervening terrain whatsoever, maintaining the lock throughout while watching missile after missile fly straight up. Of course the launches gave my position away, and the flash driver didn't even bother to evade. He just drove straight towards me. Finally the enemy dismounted and I could finally hit the Flash - while the dismounted enemy shot me.

There doesn't seem to be any rules as to whether or not the missile will hit the target or fly straight up instead. I've shot at both ground and air targets with no intervening obstructions and watched the missiles go straight up. No flares, no smoke, not even evasive maneuvers - the Striker missiles just simply flew straight up, despite the lock.

This isn't a fix, and it isn't a nerf. They've made the Striker useless. The way to "deal with it" is to continue to insist that the Striker be repaired, to the point where it is at least a workable weapon.
    • Up x 2
  13. Takoita

I've seen the "I'm gonna hug the sun now!" behaviour from the good ol' Grounder too. Thought that it was the new representation of a missile that was flared away. But it still functions like fire-and-forget, so I don't think there are actual changes to lock-on mechanics as of yet.

Seems like Striker is simply glitching out again.
  14. NachoFoot

Not glitching out. It's fixed.

Realize that NC and VS have nothing that operated at the level of the Striker. It's also oversight that Strikers can fire behind spawn shields and Phoenix can not
    • Up x 1
  15. MasterOhh

I don't know if the current behavior of the striker is intended or just another f***k up. But boy, I am savoring every single time I see 15+ Stiker-missles going straight up into the sky 5m in front of my Magrider :D. The first time I saw it, me and my gunner where like "WTF!?! That looked just awesome !!!!!"
    I couldn't figure out how to provoke this reliably enough, yet. This loss of the tracking ability happend only 30% of all times I got into cover after I was locked. The other 70% I was hit through terrain and obstackles as usual......
  16. Mastachief

Needs more nerf.
    • Up x 2
  17. Kaale

70% Lag is your Killer same as dying when running round a corner or after the guy you shot is dead. You think you made cover but Client side the Rockets had already hit.
    This is the same with flares you think you pop flares in time but Lag's a *****.
    If Stirker user see you make cover then Lock is lost same with flares.
    But hey I'm TR so what do i know. Shout Nerf the Striker and put your fingers in your ears..(Mastachief)
  18. Jube

The changes to the Striker makes almost no difference. You just need to practice with the launcher and change your play style slightly.
    1. You have to keep your cross hair on the target until your last rocket hits.
    2. The follow distance has been changed. Don't lock-on to an ESF at max distance or your target can easily out run your rockets.

So basically not much has changed, mostly you have to get used to aiming at your target and not letting go of the "Right" mouse button until the last rocket hits.

The major effect the changes had is to reload time. Since we now have to hold on target until the last rocket hits, reload time begins when the last rocket is fired and ends when reloaded. That was unintended I'm sure but is a reality none the less.

Once everyone realizes these small changes it will be back to business as usual for the Striker.
  19. DashRendar

I'm not sure it has anything to do with maintaining scoped LoS, but the Striker is not the only rocket to suffer from this now. Last night alone I watched as no less than 2 Hawk rockets performed the same way by bottle rocketing straight up into the sky.
  20. axiom537

You are right. I wish I didn't have to actually aim my weapons as well. I suppose if I learned how to shoot, by pointing my weapon in the general direction of the target, then just click my mouse button after 2 sec I would complain as well.

I hate to tell you this, but now you are going to be required to use a little bit of skill to follow the target, until the lock-on rocket hits the target.
    • Up x 1