sony online disspointment?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by lilsniper, Sep 15, 2013.

1. lilsniper

Let me start by saying that yes, planetside 2 is the coolest mmo i have ever had the joys of playing, i love its large open map, i love its scale, i love everything about the game concept.

but i also have some minor problems with this game, and i don't think its the devs who are to blame.
    i have been watching hours of original planetside gameplay, and I am very disappointed at what Sony did for ps2, they sacrificed good game play and design for graphics. ps2 has been out for two years now and the game is not complete, what did they do in alpha?! did they just make sure the guns worked and then handed the code to us and called it a game?! I've participated in the world of tanks beta (closed and open) and i saw a lot of changes, but when they game out of beta, the game was FINISHED. there was no massive game breaking bugs, there was reasonable balance and fun gameplay, thus they came out of beta. Ps2 is out of beta and i still fall through the map from time to time, like WTF?! they didn't fix that?
    but let me state my point of again, its not the devs.
    i know who it really is who is ramming this fantastic game into the ground. see Sony is a corporation who has stock holders to appease, with them trying to get everquest next and that dragons game going, they are going to have to spend money to get the games going. but to the stock holders, that money spent is a decrease in profit, which means the company is losing value, which means they are losing money. So, sony is saying "ok, where can we get some cushion money? , how about planetside2?" think about it , in a game where it takes around a week for a casual player to earn a thousand certs, why wouldn't they just shell out the 10$ for a gun? heck, even a badly balanced gun. can you imagine the profit they pulled out of the striker? thousands of TR players bought them, hell look at the Vulcan weapons, I'm an NC and i made a terran account just to buy that thing for a harasser! course, each faction has its own version of a weapon that is simply a must have.

and yes, i know , Sony does need to make profit, they are again, a business and they have a marketing model. but when you take the marketing model that sony has and compare it next to a game like, MWO, or HAWKEN or WOT or LOL, it just looks like a massive disaster. these games make their money off players premium accounts and consumables, in a well balanced environment, Sony makes money off pay to win. if they want to fix it so hard on a pay to win concept, that completely dis-regards players as nothing more then numbers, why not just make it a subscription game? i currently have a years worth of premium, im already basically paying 10$ a month for ps2, i would have no problem adding another 5$ to that to play a game like the original planetside.

Sony has sucked the golden *** of the ps2 player base and has given us very little in return. I was once told that all the major game producers, EA, SONY , MICROSOFT ect.. haven't been putting out good games in the last few games, because they know that people will pay and play crap, (look at call of duty! ). I didn't believe this at 1st until i compared sony to MMOs who have been made by smaller companys, Wargaming got its start off of WOT, great game, Piranha games got their start from MWO, great game.

i think that we, as players should demand better things from planetside2, it should be less pay to win, have more content, and waayyy less bugs! pay to win doesn't even make sense as i give money when credit is due! ive bought games that i haven't even played just because i thought the game creators did an awesome job and deserve some reward.

of course i realize that not every one can be as free spending as I , they have real world things to worry about.
    of course, yes , planet side 2 is still my favorite (though most hated) game and they have done an okay job

but they are missing so much when compared to the original game and they have NO excuse for this! they have the money, they have the coders, they have the servers, they could have done a massive re-vamp of the original planet side, they could have done BETTER.

what is your opinion on Sony's treatment and recreation of the original planet side, and their current marketing model? cause i still feel like the the webpage should read SONY ONLINE DISAPPOINTMENT
  2. Rockit

Basically they are trying to poach players from the BF franchise for a quick cash grab.
  3. lilsniper

i am a battlefield 3 player, and i gotta admit, it does kinda feel like that. the games are kinda similar (but of course, also very different)
  4. Laraso

I think it'd be better if you chose a name that actually matched the acronym SOE, because Sony Online Disappointment = SOD.
    • Up x 1
  5. KenDelta

Man I totally feel ya!! PS2 isjust a quick cashgrab maaaaaan , every penny we pay goes to EQ : Next maaaaaaaan , WoT sure does have 2000v2000v2000 in 1 map maan.

Game is totally p2w maaaaaaan.

This whole MLG crap is just a bigger cashgrab maaan , they just wan promote SOE so that EQ:Next goes MLG maaan.

You can totally compare LoL, HAWKEN ,WoT and MWO to PS2.

/sarcasm.

My honest opinion about SOE's treatment and recreation of planetside is the same as capcom's recreation of RE(Resident evil) franchise when they introduced RE4.
    ^TLDR: Good job Sony!
  6. lilsniper

I think your missing the main point of my argument, which is that the money we spend is definitely not going back into the game. and your right they have done a good job , but they could have done a BETTER JOB!
  7. Drsexxytime

Wargaming.net was around for 15-ish years. WoT was it's first and only mega success.

Always say SOE not just Sony. There's a difference between SOE and Sony WWS (world wide studios). WWS has the talents at Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Polyphony Digital, and the Naughty GODS err, Naughty Dog. They all put out AAA quality, highly polished, "wow" moment games. SOE is somewhere off to the side. They could use some help from the WWS internal teams. Instead of just axing out Zipper Int (Sony's fault here for making them CoD SOCOM), they should have sent those guys to SOE for PS2 or given Zipper PS2 if possible.
    • Up x 1
  8. KenDelta

The money we spend is going into SOE's pocket , not the director's pocket money , that means that the money we pay goes back to paying/hiring developers and such , we are getting monthly updates which Devs work on.

Devs keep on promising , they might deliever late but they atleast deliever unlike a lot of brand companies such as EA which give you a whole pack and tells you to F off and go play the game till they release their next title(what they did with BF3 and their DLCs and just like what they're gonna do to BF4 n it's DLCs)
  9. Copasetic

Don't take it so hard. I mean Planetside 1 had a subscription and not a penny made it back into development for that game, you can bet on that. At least this time we're getting regular patches.
  10. VanuSovereignty

Uhhh... Planetside 2 released less than 12 months ago.
  11. Phyr

For a quick cash grab this game sure is taking it's sweet time.
    • Up x 2
  12. phreec

I don't think the goal was ever to make another PS1. To be honest I had never even heard of that game prior to PS2 so I don't see why they'd (out of financial PoV) make a game that was so unpopular.

The game definitely has A LOT of Battlefield influence and as someone who left that franchise to die in its rotten, CoD infested corpse I'm glad Planetside 2 offers me what Battlefield has failed to deliver post 2142.

When it comes to P2W I fail to see it in your example. Yes, we all know TR got all the best secondaries but that's a balance problem, not a marketing model problem.
  13. Czuuk

It is 2000 players per map. 667 v 667 v 667. And no other developer has even attempted something of this scale. I have said it before and still believe this is the greatest PVP MMO ever. But it is not yet the best.
  14. Czuuk

15. lilsniper

well , i don't think it was unpopular, it was just old, the game did come out in 2003, i think most of us here were still kids at the time (i mean, i was only 9 so..) but after watching a few hours of game play i would loved to have played the game.
  16. lilsniper

well, the server are supposed to be able to handle this, but once you get more then 50 people per side in one area, the game becomes unplayable! i have a i5 3570k with a 650ti boost , coupled with 16G of ram and an 128 SSD, i see no reason why i should get frames that go from 120 when nobody is around to 15 when I'm in a super zerg. I think the game could still have achieved greatness with just 250 or 300 players per side (which yes, is still alot).

also , not related to the above topic, but any one who wants to use PS2'S open world as an reason for forgiveness must 1st look at games like firefall and borderlands2 who manage open world just fine without our kind of bugs.
  17. lilsniper

I didn't realize this, i figured that they would all be under the same wing... if the WWS teams were sent to PS2 this game could become a gem beyond anything else on the market today.
  18. LowTechKiller

How do you figure? The game is free, yet they've had a staff working on releasing game updates, new content, and patches every week or two. I think the money I've spent has been well worth it so far.

Times are hard this decade for all businesses, SOE included, so they've had to trim some of their workforce recently, just like ever other business on the planet. Their weekly GUs and patches for the first 6 months spoiled us, and now that they're spread kind-of thin, we're really noticing it.

I also think this game is different, so SOE is having to learn some of this whole process on the fly. No, it hasn't run as smoothly as some others, but the game certainly hasn't been abandoned either.
    We just need to continue being patient and have fun with the game we have until they can improve it.
    • Up x 1
  19. lilsniper

well i am being patient, because i still do like the game. I will continue to play it , though i will always harbor my disappointment at what this game could have been.
  20. Drsexxytime

Indeed. Those studios in WWS are incredible for the most part, and the reason I'll always buy a Playstation console. Now SOE is a "division" of sorts, but for some reason not really integrated like Naughty Dog/Sucker Punch/Santa Monica/San Diego/Guerrilla/Polyphony/etc. SOE should be forged completely, 100% into this network, something that may happen hopefully with them working more and more on the Playstation line. Only reason I see them separated yet is the fact that they don't deal exclusively with the Playstation brand, and dealing with the PC aspect. Now they have a "different team" working on the PS4 version, what this team entails, and how things will progress from there we shall see.