Advice On a Weapon Upgrade

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Derillion, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Derillion

Hey everyone, fairly new player here. I've been playing the Engineer almost exclusively since I began playing--I'm level 19 now--and I really enjoy it. I've been using the Trac 5, and it's served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. I want a versatile weapon, something that will work well for picking off players with bursts from mid distances as well as at close quarters with sustained fire in a building. What weapon best fits that description? What weapon is seen as the "alpha" weapon for engineers, if any? Are there any attachments that are a must have? I need some guidance here! xD
  2. LibertyRevolution

I got the jaguar with advanced laser light and softpoint ammo.
    It cost 250 certs, 200 for advanced laser, and 100 more for softpoint ammo.
    I kept the iron sights, I like them.

Option 2 would be the trac 5S, so you can equip underbarel grenade launcher and have infinite grenade spam off your ammo box.
    This will run you 500 certs for the gun, and another 100 certs for the grenade launcher.
    keep in mind this is still a trac5, so everything you hate about it will remain the same..
  3. Balrogos

Best and best all around wepon is Jaguar LC3 you can do 2 bulids for long range and short:
    LC3 Long: Iron Sight/Grip/Flash Sup. (Im using this all time in long and short)
    LC3 Short Iron SIght/ALS/Flash Sup/SP
    SMG Hailstorm: Iron Sight or x1/ALS/Flash Sup/SP
    Blackjack/Nighthawk

and as Liberty said Trac-5S and S mean Slow RoF good only for granade launcher
  4. Cromell

T5 AMC, hands down. It has a slower rate of fire, but is STUPIDLY accurate and has barely any recoil. It's more fit for longer range, but the hip COF is the same as trac 5. It also costs 250 certs.

Jaguar is also a VERY good gun. Try them both and see which fits you more.
  5. harmypants

T5 AMC with Advanced Grip and Compensator is ridiculously accurate when aiming down sights, and coupled with a reflex sight is basically becomes a headshot machine. And even with the compensator is has very decent hipfire too. It is one of those guns you either love or hate, and it does have a relatively low rate of fire.

You won't be disappointed in the Jaguar if you decide it's more to your liking though.

I'd definitely stay away from the Trac 5 S though. It's the worst carbine available with a pretty cheap gimmick and will just end up getting you killed more often than not.
  6. RealityWarrior

I use the Vanu version and lately running a 3 to 4 KDR purely as infantry. So i would say that getting you killed more often than not is relative to your tactics and how you use it.

But yes as a gun goes it (and it's NC and Vanu versions) it is the worst carbine available. It requires a paradigm shift in it's use. Speaking as a potential opponent I would also suggest you avoid using it :)
  7. harmypants

Hehe yeah. I haven't used the other faction's S variants, but since using the Jag it feels like I have no control over the Trac 5 S at all. It is kind of nice to UBGL spam, but I used to use it mostly for free smoke grenades + IRNV. It's not exactly a bad option, but literally any other gun is going to be more rewarding as a player.
  8. RealityWarrior

When I get on a radio tower above and behind people and get a 50+ kill streak simply because they are not looking in the right place... I am giggling like a school girl. I don't see how anything could be more rewarding than that :) but as I said before that is MY play style, it does NOT fit a run and gun style
  9. WyrdHarper

As others have said, the T5 AMC and jaguar are both good options. I would recommend checking out the various weapon reviews for the two on youtube. They do a great job of explaining how they fit particular playstyles and give you a good idea of the weapon's capabilities. The jaguar is better for hipfire and CQC, but the T5 AMC is better at range. For th T5 AMC, which I use more, I ADS most of the time, but hipfire around 15m. I just got the Jaguar about a week ago, and it is a pretty different, but very effective, beasty.
  10. Iridar51

You guys keep in mind that this is fairly new player, it may be hard for him utilize T5 AMC to its full potential, without proper positioning this gun could be more of a detriment.

To OP.
    As others said, Jaguar fits your description. If you more of a hip-fire player, outfit it with SPA and advanced laser sights, if you prefer ADSing and hip-fire only very close quarters than go with forward grip.
    Jaguar has balanced side-to-side recoil, so it's very easy to control its straight-up recoil, but horizontal shaking may mess with long-ish range shooting, hence - forward grip.

If you're curious about other weapons, check my LA guide, the link is in the description, LA and engi share all weapons except the battle rifle, after all.
  11. DeathTollDavid

When I got tired of the trac 5 I went with the NS7. This weapon is also cross class so you can use it for everyone.

To date the NS7 is my favorite weapon. My unlocks are the soft ammo, extended mag, stabilizer, and red dot reticle. (dont know the specific names)

I like it so much it will be my second gun to achieve the auraxium medal.
  12. Derillion

Thank you for the replies everyone, I've found them extremely helpful. I tested the T5 AMC and absolutely love it. It's accuracy at medium ranges is insane, and that's without any attachments! It reloads faster than the Trac 5 as well, so that is an added perk. I'm trying to decide on a sight to put on it now, there are so many options. I'm definitely going to go for the compensator and forward grip, though. Probably the high velocity ammo as well.
  13. Cromell

Glad you like it. 2x reflex is most flexible scope for this gun.
    Compensator will literally remove the recoil from the gun (which is relatively easy to control without it, anyway); the hip fire will be a bit less accurate, but still okay. I would not use the HVA though. The muzzle velocity is the fastest of all carbines anyway, and the added velocity is not worth the recoil added. Then again, if you have trouble leading moving targets, HVA is still an option.
  14. Iridar51

Forward grip is nice, but think carefully about compensator. For what it does, it has serious drawbacks, namely doubled detection range and 25% bigger hip-fire cone of fire. And that's only for reduction in vertical recoil, which can be achieved by pulling mouse down harder. The accuracy of this gun is more limited by cone of fire than by recoil, and gimping close quarters for close-to-mid-range class is a bad idea.

The "pulling down mouse harder" also true for HVA, if you can manage increased recoil then it's basically a free upgrade.

In the scope section, I'd advise using 2x and no more, because the most effective carbine ADS range is 10 to 30m, and 3.4x-4x scopes have too high magnification for that range segment. Basically, you will have a hard time ADSing at enemies at medium range that are too far to hip fire.

I have auraxium medal with T5 AMC with various loadouts, used 2x, 3.4x-4x and 6x scopes, with and without HVA, with compensator and suppressor, so at least give some thought to my advice.

But, really, whether to use compensator or not, HVA or not, all of these things are small in grand scheme of things. Proper positioning means a lot more than what gun you're holding.
  15. Balrogos

T5 AMC sucks no one using this weapon :p
  16. Derillion

Thanks Iridar, what you said was really helpful. I've been piddling and you're right about the vertical recoil. It's not really a problem. I'm still going for the forward grip, but not the compensator. What I'm curious about now is this: If I equip a suppressor, do you think that the velocity gained from HVA will negate the effects of the suppressor? As a side note, I've been using the 2x reflex and it seems to suit this gun perfectly, for me anyway.
  17. Iridar51

Glad to help.
    Well, nobody's quite sure what are the actual numbers involved in HVA and suppressor bullet speed modification values, but I can tell you this: most of my T5 AMC kills are with grip, suppressor and HVA, and the bullet drop is barely noticeable on all effective ranges. Barely need to compensate for bullet drop at maximum effective range.
    The serious downside is that at those medium to long ranges some enemies need a lot of bullets to kill, and I do mean a lot. But that doesn't mean much to engi with infinite ammo.

Of course, suppressor is a very nice thing to have when you're alone, but I'm not quite sure if it fits the engi.
    I, myself, see three roles in which engineer can be useful to his empire:
    1) Infantry support - supply troops with ammo, repair MAXes, use deployable turrets and mines for area control. Suppressor not needed, because you run with allies with unsuppressed weapons anyway.
    2) Generator and Phalanx Turrets repair man - this role benefits from suppressor, so if you have to engage enemies while moving to gen or turret, you won't be discovered by another nearby enemies, and you can at least get to said turret or gen.
    3) vehicle or aircraft pilot - doesn't matter, until you get to the ground and assume one of the two previous roles.
    4) parked sunderer hunter - very situational, assumes use of C4 or tank mines to kill enemy deployed sunderers. Does benefit from suppressor, if you get to the target on foot, but very situational.

So if you run with allied troops most of the time, don't bother with suppressor, will only hinder your medium-range damage. Tickling heavies to death from 40m is fun in itself, but a bad way to spend holidays.

Oh, and sort of unrelated thing - after last few patches T5 AMC's suppressed sound is simply adorable. It chirrs like a mini belt-fed machine gun.
  18. LowTechKiller

Welcome, and good hunting.;)
  19. Ripshaft

To the best of my knowledge and experience, the suppressor has a very large effect on projectile velocity, and hva has a small effect on it, so no it would most likely not come close to negating the velocity penalty. Projectile velocity is a pretty huge deal for any ranged operation, especially on accurate guns. Though most important is what works for you, if you like the suppressor, work with it =p