[Suggestion] Make Engineers Relevant

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by somefriggnidiot, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Azerin

I've never much cared how much exp I get as an Engineer, and I disagree with the statements against the Engineers worth as a support unit. I'll note that I'm not disagreeing with your suggestions here, just the statements against the Engineers current value, skip to the last paragraph if you're not interested in my opinion of the class

Without a good engineer around, any lengthy fight will turn completely one-sided as you run out of ammo, which is made worse by having good Medics since you'll be respawning less. I find myself running out of ammo a LOT whenever I play anything except Engineer, leaving me to literally charge at the enemy with my knife. This was the first thing that drew me to the Engineer class, and once I saw the other tools I now only swap out for specific tactics that require me to. The ammo box is particularly valuable during ambushes or if you're using the underbarrel launchers, as you can supply your own grenades and just go to town.

With the repair tool, you're the only class able to keep your factions MAXs, Sunderers and tanks in good shape. This is devalued somewhat by the fact drivers are usually Engineers, but two Engies repair faster than one, so my outfit members & fellow NC are usually grateful for the assist. This also allows w/e you're repairing to focus on what they're doing, rather than the imminent danger they would otherwise be in if not for your tool of anti-doom.
    If this isn't the case for you, as I assume it's not given your comment on tanks running you over, you should try running with an outfit, it changes the situation drastically. You could also try checking out Da3m0n's thread for some Engie tips, probably not as useful for an experienced player but it's helped a few people.

Let's not underestimate the turrets either, those things have been the center piece of quite a few of my squad tactics. The AI turret is excellent for room defense, and the AV turrets range makes it excellent for ambushing enemy vehicles in open areas where a lock-on may not reach. There have been situations where my squad would have been completely wiped out if not for our Engineers turrets.

And finally, there's the AV mines, this alone is a hefty reason to play Engineer. Mineguard Sunderers aren't nearly as common as they should be, which makes for a lot of easy high priority kills if you know how to use the various movement tools available to you. There's also the incredible joy you get when a tank stalks you around cover, you drop some mines and lure the tank right into them :D It works a little more often than it should.

I love my Engineer, even if I don't rake in as much exp as a medic. I've found the class to be highly versatile, effective in both support, defense and offense, just in a different way to the other classes. The class can still be made better through the addition of more tools though, if you direct your eyes to the Roadmap you'll see that they're already planning to add new tools for the Engineer, which will only add to what I consider to be a good class.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

Don't know what you're talking about, in a prolongued battle engineer is as important as medic, supplying ammo and keeping MAXes up. But, yeah, XP bonuses could be higher.
  3. Balrogos

Engie should charge Personal Shield and HA shield as medic charge HP. Its will be nice when engie can take a shield and use pistol like in CS 1.6/CZ

Also second repair tool will be nice only for battle engi, the repair gun should be taken and your ability will be proximity repair for MAXes and engie still can shoot from primary weapons but cant repair tanks, phalnax turrets and any other vehicles
  4. Dreviore

As an engi I feel very relevant. Only thing that bugs me is when I place an ammo pack, every engi around places theirs as close to mine as possible.

Then when I switch to Heavy Assault or another class, there's no engi's to place ammo packs.

Oh and that stupid cap. I was leading an AOD squad yesterday, and we were hammering them from a mountain while two engi's (I was one) resupplied all the heavy assault and max's for a good 10 minutes, when suddenly my xp just stopped rolling in while I was doing my job.
  5. Zazulio

I really love this idea! Riot shield engineers!
  6. Naqel

It's not that Engineers are irrelevant, it's that they aren't fun.

Because doing useful things as an engineer leaves you with ****** weapons, and none of those fancy suit powers other classes have.

That's a problem with having the class system at all though. I mean, all solutions to engineer being crap to play I can think of are basically tearing down some of the walls the class system creates, like giving them access to assault Rifles, or some new toy to take instead of the turrets.
  7. Dr JD Wang MD

I'm a bit late to the party here but please don't give us engineers MORE things to do.

Lets see if I'm defending a tower, then I'm dropping my 2 claymores near capture points, while trying to get the guns back up, while repairing MAX's, while dropping an AV MANA Turret to try and get a shot off on that tank, then back to repairing that gun, oh now the MAX is screaming for an engineer. Once he's repaired it's back out to recap a point, grenade through the door followed by rounds from my SMG.
    Point is recaptured, so swing by a terminal and resupply before dropping more claymores and heading back to repair those guns. Stop to repair a friendly tank, quickly dodging out of the way a couple of times as he almost runs you over (I swear that's how tankers think they get repaired, by running over engineers) Quickly drop a turret and take a couple of pot shots at that enemy MAX in the distance, take down an infiltrator trying to hack a terminal, and back to repairing guns and that friendly MAX that won't shut up.

Seriously I don't get how people can say playing engineer isn't fun? Sure if you just sit in one place and repair stuff then you're going to get bored very quickly (although repairing guns/terminals after capturing a base is easy certs)
    Pick a weapon (I really like the NS-7 PWD personally) and just kill stuff. You have your gun, you have a grenade or 2, you have your MANA turret and you have AI mines. Use them.

Honestly if you say a class isn't fun then I'm going to go ahead and say you're just doing it wrong, because if a particular class wasn'tr fun, no one would play it.
    • Up x 1
  8. CptFirelord

No. No, no, no, no, NO. Flak is already too powerful as is. If you don't believe me, compare TTK of a Burster MAX to a Rotary. It's virtually the same, and AA is supposed to only be a 'deterrent' for air. Deterrent my ***.
  9. Dexter96

The thing is... Vehicles tend to be overpowered towards infantry beacause they have better weapons and more health.
    Also they can only get destroyed by heavies with rocket launchers, engineers with the antivehicle turret and other vehicles.
    The engineers anti-vehicle turret is by far the best tool for destroying vehicles as it can destroy a sundy in 4 (wire guided) shots.
    Many people think of the engineer as amainly support class but with all the mines, explosives and anti-vehicle turret I would say that support is kinda seconary here.

I've been playing engineer since closed beta and I had no problems with it.
  10. LucasPiazon

11. UnluckyFriedKitten

Trying not to troll the OP here but I personally feel that the engineer is "THE" easiest class to get XP with and be meaningful.

Drop a decent ammo pack, (one that lasts a little while and has a little range). heal a max thats preferably in your squad. have a sundi with either vehicle repair or my favorite ammo sundi. and roam around the battle field mending the tanks and reloading them with ammo. I have AA turrets on my sundi which i jump in to for beating off air and protecting them. I can jump out and lob a few rockets anti vehicle turret style for a bit extra.

It might not be as interesting as killing people by their droves but i get tons of XP just chilling and supporting people when i cant be bothered to really push and kill.

Otherwise im in my ESF and mending it myself. Or repairing turrets. Or repairing generators.

There is ALWAYS something an engineer can be doing. Unless your in a high death situation (biolab or some other kind of cert farm). A medic wont have as many circumstances in which he can be useful.

They have an amazing amount of explosives to choose from. Vehicle kills are huge amounts of XP. use your mines or your vehicle turret. Get lots of kills using prox mines. C4. cheapest class to get it .. lots of xp there.

How can you think the engineer is not fine just as it is ?
  12. oherror

How bout just this. This is more useful the XP boosts. I really dont have an issue with how engineers work as of now. I just want more deployables. How bout a deployable jump pad for wall jumping. Make it a timed deploy object, have it short out after a bit.
  13. UnluckyFriedKitten

Or just use a squad beacon o_O
    Why the heck do you need more deployables? Mana vehicle turret and ammo is all you need you have pheonix anti air turrets where ever you go if you bother to mend them ......

Deployable cover is a very interesting idea though .. I will happily give you that .. although its arguable that the mana gun turret can be used as cover. Dedicated metal fence is an interesting idea. Would you just get half a dozen engineers boxing in the sundy or griefing with it though?
  14. oherror

Well the jump pad would be more stealthy for one. I pretty easy to know your being infiltrated by a squad with raining drop pods.....
  15. Bill Hicks

Is this thread serious? repair give ammo grenade launcher infinite rocket launcher anti infantry turret mines ?
    • Up x 1
  16. somefriggnidiot

I see this has been revived, and I can see how unnecessary my original post was.
    Let me rephrase that entire wall of text with one sentence:

Engineers are overworked and underpaid.
  17. furrywaffle

With the AV turret, the engineer is the most adaptable class in the damn game what do you mean "relevant" oh my god I don't even
  18. K2k4

Just going to point out a few things. It is my opinion that engineers are one of the most effective and most lucrative classes in the game, if not the most.
    Here are a few things that you can dothat make engineers awesome:
    Set up an anti infantry turret to block or defend a choke point
    Set up an ammo pack and an ubgl and go to town.
    Set up an anti vehicle turret on a ridge and shoot guided rockets that do significant amounts of damage at targets which can barely see you.
    Set up an av turret and lure a max into your trap.
    Set up an anti vehicle turret and snipe or farm infantry until you get sniped
    Repair a vehicle, max, turret, or blown console.
    Set down an ammo pack near an infiltrator so they can create a dart network to identify all nearby threats. Or by a heavy assault for rockets or an av max.

There you have it. These are all the things that only an engineer can achieve.

You complained that media are better. While I believe that media are overpowered please observe that the only thing they can do different than an engineer is the ability to heal or revive others. This unfortunately makes medic boring to many players such as myself. While I do think that the medic is the most important class to bring to any assault they lack in the variety you get from an engineer and is tools.

Compared to heavy assault light assault infiltrator or even maxed you have possibly the most varied and unconditionally helpful role.
  19. UnluckyFriedKitten

I really disagree with this. You are just as able to shoot people, be helpful and effective, get plenty of certs if you upgrade your repair tool and ammobox and use the deployables you have.

There is no class that is better suited to fly a Mossy / liberator. Being an engineer under those circumstances is very rewarding.

I will listen to any reasonable and well thought out argument for improving a class, but I dont think this is true. Without breaking game mechanics or taking advantage of certain things, I think an engineer is perfectly capable of earning just as many certs. In or out of a mossy.

Looks for ways to use what you have learn to use the vehicle mana turret. If you pick a decent spot you can kill lots of infantry and vehicles easily especially when working with another engineer in mana tandem.

Increase that to a small squad of engineers and you can take out armour laughably well. Want to see an armour collumn crumble? get 6 engineeers with a good angle and vehicle turrets fully upgraded.
  20. Hrafnagaldr

Well, yesterday a Sunderer with 7 enemies in it drove over my tankmines right after an alert. I had a boost active + auraxium membership.
    So much XP within a second, it was delicious. Also infantry farming with HE / HEAT Lightning. Seriously, Engineer is a great supporter + XP farming machine.
    Try continously repairing a MAX unit in your squad and drop ammo. So much XP. It is slightly topped bei the Medic and MAX units, ut way above my heavy assault.