Cover System like in Crysis 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheBloodEagle, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TheBloodEagle

Have any of you guys played Crysis 2? I think it had a pretty elegant cover system, compared to some other games, that I believe would actual be great for PS2. Well, that's if you're like me and want the game to be more tactical rather than twitch-like; support fire, bounding overwatch, etc. It could have some COF penalties and some other kind of penalty so you couldn't spazz leans, etc.

• Up x 1
  2. phreec

I've never been a fan of ("sticky") cover systems in either 3rd or 1st person shooters but considering how the bullets fire from the barrel rather than your forehead in PS2 something like this would actually make sense.
  3. UberBonisseur

The bullets are not shot from the barrel, but from the optics

You only need to have your sight sticking out.
  4. Copasetic

I think this is the kind of feature that needs to be planned for from the very beginning. Adding it now would mean redesigning all the maps... again. Plus all the new animations which aren't cheap either. I wouldn't hold my breath.
  5. TheBloodEagle

Yeah I hear ya, but do you mean redesigning the maps so there are more "cover" areas? I don't think that would be needed at all. I tend to find two of cover mechanics in games, one being the more free-ish "sticky" type phreec mentioned and the other being where you press a button to become "attached" to an object and have to become "unattached" to move again. I think the sticky one would work pretty elegant in the game; there's a ton of stuff to do that with already. I don't think they'd really need to change or add anything. I definitely understand the animation issue, but they're working on new animations either way. I don't expect this stuff soon, just wondering if people are receptive of this idea.
  6. phreec

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I've had countless sniper shots just *PLONK* on railings in front of my barrel although my scope was unobscured and dead-on target.
    • Up x 1
  7. Stew360

This sticky 1rst person mechanics as been first introduced in killzone 2 on ps3 , but never make it into the multiplayers for many obvious reason ;)

Wont happen
  8. TownCryer8

What the 3rd person view looks like :D

[IMG]
    • Up x 9
  9. Bill Hicks

madness....
  10. TheBloodEagle

Wow...whelp that totally kills this, heh. I remember someone else on the forums brought up how aiming while behind something sucked a bit in PS2 because of where the camera was in relation to your body, so people below you could see you better than you could see them (can't quite remember).

Makes me miss OFP (operation flashpoint + mods) with its free-floating aim (not glued to the center). They actually had your eyes on your head and the head was moveable, you could also reasonably twist your torso without moving, you could also see your feet, like you were a legit person; it wasn't some weird warped out body with your eyes in your chest. Sadness.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rabbitz

I think peeking system like Tactical Intervention would be nicely fit for PS2.
  12. HerpTheDerp

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, that **** should be INDUSTRY STANDARD.
    • Up x 2
  13. Sen7rygun

The best "sticky" cover system I've played so far for a multi player shooter is Ghost Recon Online. Its also an F2P game so well worth checking out if you like team tactical shooters.
  14. TheBloodEagle

Here's the Far Cry 3 cover system, looks great.

But, even if we all wanted it, it's clear that we will have to get passed this crap, since most FPS games are setup now with neck/chest cameras, etc.

BTW, since PS2 is modeled after BF3, how is the camera setup in it? It is head based or chest based? How does the game treat all that stuff?
  15. IamDH

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  16. DuckSauce

They could also raise the cover a bit so your head doesn't poke out every time you try to crouch behind something. As it is you're safer sprinting back and forth behind cover than actually getting into it.
  17. Tanatos

Copyright infringement much? All the suggestions from games TF2, CoD, MoH, etc are great but problematical for that reason.
  18. Camycamera

holy fcuking jesus.

i'd prefer the crysis 1 cover mechanics more, where you can lean and stuff. and did you know in crysis 1 if you had 2 pistols you could "blind fire" from cover with one of them, with the other behind cover? i think it is better......
    because i don't want.... ^ that.

but i don't mind not having it. although i'd wish that we could have lean in it. all FPSs should have lean.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pixelshader

ADS sucks, cover systems are downright disgusting.
  20. ironeddie

Cover system like that worked fine in a games single player against relatively few dumb AI. But with hundreds of real living players I'm not sure it wouldn't actually get you killed. Picture your stood peeking around cover. Not being situationally aware. Infiltrator walks up, un cloak, bang bang, knife swipe. Next.