Welcome to Rezside! Rez grenades are ruining this game!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EvilJollyT, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Awass

Yup. Because it's not like you can only carry 1 (unless you waste a suit slot on grenade bandolier), and they cost a lot of resources.
  2. Awass

I've always wanted to make a thread like "Welcome to clientside 2" where I have an in-depth discussion of client-side and server-side functions, but everyone just thinks it's another "Welcome to Lockonside 2" kind of thread. :)
  3. hammyhamm

One balancing feat of rez grenades is their inability to work on downed MAX suits, but the resource cost of the grenade itself should probably be doubled to account for the ease of me just rolling grenade bandolier and spamming one grenade every 20 seconds into a firefight for huge XP :V
  4. ThreePi

Yeah, except that any tactic you run has to be PERFECT. You have to kill every last medic, because if you can't kill every last one, you might as well have not killed any. That's the problem. One medic left standing can negate any tactic because of 1) how quickly they can revive others, and 2)the fact that they have unlimited reviving ability.

This isn't about eliminating revives from the game, its about adding a layer of skill and tactics to the medics. Medics don't have to worry about ammo. They don't have to worry about cooldowns. They don't have to worry about recoil. They don't have to worry about COF. They don't have to worry about screenshake. They don't have to worry about flinch. And in many cases, they can revive faster than they can be killed with that stupid revive dance dodging they do. Fact of the matter is, they're too effective at what they do.
  5. Hoki

Nerf teamwork?
    • Up x 3
  6. Badname707

It's barely teamwork. Hey, I'm sure you guys have it down to a science, making sure there is ALWAYS at least a couple people in revive mode, doing it in very specific waves, but you seem to be completely missing the point. The times this is used is inside a building, typically in an area highly populated by infantry, denying vehicle access to any faction (except highly 'skilled' marauder harassers, the VS do not do so well with their furies). To effectively clear them means you have to enter the building they are in, no matter how many grenades you have. You can replenish medics faster than the opposition can replenish grenades. Eventually explosives will end up killing as many friendlies as enemies. The ability of the res grenade to raise literally EVERYONE causes an explosion in firepower far greater than any grenade. I don't see how you can possibly be missing this. I'm not saying teamwork should be nerfed. It's teamwork when ESF's and galaxies with engineers cover that lib shooting through the bio lab shield too, but it's still a lame tactic.

But let's talk about limiting the effectiveness of teamwork. Let's say res grenades revived MAX's too. How long would it be before people get tired of dealing with res grenades WITH scatmax spam too? It would be stupid as hell, wouldn't it? Obviously it makes sense to make it so res grenades don't revive MAX's for this reason. The fact is, the current system isn't enough. Just because it's not OP for just one faction doesn't mean the res grenade isn't the most potentially powerful item to equip in your grenade slot.

A limit on the effectiveness of the tactic is not a nerf to teamwork, it's a buff to every other single class and grenade in the game.
    • Up x 1
  7. vincent-

Sounds like you guys are just defending a spot and not pushing out. There in lies the constant rez you people seem to find.
  8. Badname707

No, this is usually done outside in. The platoon of medics roll in to our generator, we roll our platoon in to clear them out, we succeed, but no matter what we're stuck there for way, way too long, clearing out all the medics again and again. We tend to lose because we didn't bring enough res grenades. The best counter to res grenade spam is more res grenade spam. You can't possibly hurt your team with it. You can potentially bring an entire platoon back to life. When people are boxed in like that, things get a little silly. Gibbing medics over and over again isn't even fun if you win. You HAVE to deal with it or work around it, but you lose in fun just by forcing yourself to tie up your unit in that mess.
  9. Deezy

The medic tool as well as the repair tool should work similar to the way they did in the original PlanetSide.

In their first iteration, both the repair and medic tools had "ammo" for either tool in the form of canisters that you'd have in your inventory. As you used the tool, you'd go through your canister supply (ammo). Once you used it all up, you had to find a terminal to resupply your canisters (ammo) capacity.

PlanetSide 2 has no inventory system, however, the solution is still rather simple. Both the medic and engineer tools should have a finite ammo capacity available for you to use. Once you use it up, you have to go to a terminal and replenish your supply. You can increase your total ammo capacity via (wait for it....wait for it) certifications in to increased ammo capacity for your tool.

You can even take it a step further and have your tool "attachment" be either the current cert line for either tool (medical revive speed/health for the medic tool and overheat timer increase for the repair tool) or increased ammo capacity while keeping the stock functions. The attachment thing is a whole other different discussion, but I thought I'd include it here anyways.
  10. PastalavistaBB

Well even MAXes can be revived which makes this kinda stupid. Either make MAX deaths permanent or allow land vehicles to be "revived". How does that sound? (Yes it's stupid, but so is the endless revival of infantry and MAX Units.)
  11. MrK

Well, if you consider bandolier a "waste" of a suit slot, then you probably don't really get the effects it can have.
    That's exactly because the bandolier is available to medic that these events occur.
    I personnaly have embraced the thing (tbh, I've unlocked bandolier on ALL my classes, this thing is way underestimated, any of the special grenades spammed correctly is devastating, to the point the game is now becoming super spammy as soon as you encounter outfits who have acknowledged that fact), and sometimes, it's kind of ridiculous. Just a matter of spamming grenades in the middle of the fray, indistinctively.
    But this is just "somttimes", and tbh, it's also sometimes usefull to us, so I'm not complaining since I take advantage of it ;)

And after discussing further away, I'm not that convinced anymore about gibbing, this could have side effects I'd dislike :)
  12. TommyXXL

just because one outfit abuses a feature does not mean that the feature must be nerfed affecting all players !
  13. vincent-

I'm not lying when I say this but I have never seen this and I'm on waterson, maybe the tr are that ******** and haven't figured that out. But I do my best as a medic to keep my guys up and I don't even roll the rez grenades unless I have to equip my actual gear. Do you have videos of this going on I would honestly like to see how this goes down?
  14. Badname707

Then how do you plan on keeping said feature from being abused? Are you going to ask that outfit to stop?
  15. Pax Empyrean

This is a total non-issue. If you see a rez grenade go off, throw a frag at it. They take a second to revive, so you don't even need to see the enemy medic throw the grenade. All you need to do is throw a frag at the big green pulse for a bunch of kills.
  16. MrK

And TK more of your own team than ennemies, half of them will have sync off your "timely" grenade and respawn just after it.
  17. Iridar51

In Firefall PVP this looks pretty brutal for a cartoon-ish game. To finish a guy off, you stomp him several times with your foot and blood and intestines fly all directions. Quite hilarious, really, but not in PS2's style. The game doesn't even have optional blood, lol. But something like reaping his badge off could be easily done.
    • Up x 1
  18. Cswic

Revive mechanics overall need to be changed. It would be nice if this would happen before nexus comes out seeing as how it'll be even more apparent there.

Why stack anything in a squad besides medics? They can bring c4 as well (this really should be looked at) meaning that they still have above average killing power vs maxes and vehicles. Sure it's not a heavy's rocket launcher, but chances are if a max comes in 1 of those medics is going to get a single c4 off in time before they all die. Then the other medics will promptly be brought back up and it'll be like nothing ever happened.

At the least? Change medic to medic reviving to prevent revive trains.
  19. Pax Empyrean

Look at this stupid, contrived nonsense. You expect people looking at a deploy screen will time their revive to fake out an incoming frag that they have no way of knowing is coming? Ridiculous. What if the frag is another second late?

Half the people in this game probably don't even know what a revive grenade is in the first place, given how rarely I see other medics using them, and you're suggesting that people will fake out frags and then somehow revive in sync, then proceed to win gunfights when they've got 25% of their starting health? Two bullets from any gun in the game will drop someone who just got up from a revive grenade. A frag is the easiest way to get them all, but it's hardly necessary for killing people who are on death's doorstep and dropped blind into the middle of a firefight.

People whine about the dumbest stuff around here.
  20. DJPenguin

A way to "gib" corpses or prevent them from being capable of revival. Kills need a way of feeling like progress has been made instead of just a +100xp popup on the screen.

More danger to the medic reviving while under fire. It's silly that medics can dance around corpses and revive them in the same or less amount of time it takes to kill said medic at range.

More dangerous to accept revives in the middle of fireights. Given this games engine mechanics (ghosting) it's not hard to avoid death if accepting a revive out in the open and sprinting for cover before you're threatened.