Current Respawn System

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ginjer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Ginjer

I don't know what other word to use to describe the current respawn system than the word ********. As it currently is, I have to literally leap frog one base at a time, taking 10 seconds each time to redeploy and another 15+ to wait to respawn. In order to get to a fight at Allatum Bio Lab I literally (not even exaggerating here) had to redeploy and respawn a total of 6 times. Warpgate >> Dahaka Amp Station >> Dahaka Southern Post >> Indar Comm Array >> West Highlands Checkpoint >> Allatum Broadcast Hub >> a Sundy at Allatum. This is absolutely ********, I don't care what anyone says. It is like this for me on all factions on the different servers that I play.

Now someone could argue, "why don't you pull an ESF?" and while that is a good point, I should not HAVE to use air resources just to be able to get into a freaking fight. At approximately 25+ seconds per redeploy/respawn it took me 150 seconds, or 2 and a half minutes, just to get into that fight. And I have had leap frog redeploy/respawns that were even longer than that.

Please SOE, I understand that you are trying to make it so people can't just instantly go from one base or whatever to another, but this is flat out ridiculous. I don't want to waste upwards of 10 or more minutes per session waiting on redeploy and spawn timers as well as loading screens... not to mention the "triple loading screens."
    • Up x 1
  2. Pazzonni

Or you know, you could find a squad that is there, use squad deploy and leave the squad if you're the solo type... Just saying
    • Up x 1
  3. Hicksimus

In Planetside 1 you had to wait that long for the dropship.....or ride a Galaxy with 1 occupant on a 56k connection who would cause you to crash instantly after loading the next warpgate.

In other words. This isn't CoD go away.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ginjer

Again, a good idea... But that is assuming the squad is where I want to go, or that there are squads with room in them or that are open where I want to go. And again, I shouldn't HAVE to do this to get into a fight.
  5. Ginjer

What does CoD have anything to do with my comment? lol
    And this isn't PS1 either...
    • Up x 1
  6. Scudmungus

Nothign personal, OP - after reading your initial post and seeing your sig, I feel helplessly compelled to reply with:

"Cool story, Bro!"

Let this moment forever bring me shame.
    • Up x 1
  7. VSMars

Personally, I wouldn't mind having to wait a minute or two for a "taxi", or having to wait that long for a respawn on some far-away base after I clicked on where I want to spawn. That's fine; I'll just grab myself a coffee and prepare mentally for the fight.

The current system is just needless busywork.
    • Up x 2
  8. Prudentia

it would be cool if they did that... they could remove the galaxy completly and instead of the GalaxyContentUpdate they could make a new farming vehicle like the marauder harrasser, just faster and more durable. and if they would refund the certs in gals i could get 6k certs, just imagine what i could buy with that amount :3
  9. UberBonisseur

On topic, Malorn's response:

Once again, why not streamline the wait time in the interface ?

Why not include penalties for successive respawns ?

Why not including respawn queues to prevent massive redeployments ?

Argument:
    "Outfits would redeploy anywhere on a whim"

Reality:
    Outfits already redeploy anywhere on a whim, since they share the SL spawn.

Please INCLUDE GLOBAL REDEPLOYMENT ALREADY. Integrate it into the game.
    Balance around it. It will not replace Galaxy drops, it will however replace the /suicide hopping.
    • Up x 2
  10. Konfuzfanten

I get that the current system isnt great, but its needed. The most unique feature in PS2 is that logistics plays a huge role in the fighting. The fraction that can bring the most guys to a fight will win 90% of the fights. If you could instant spawn everywhere you wanted that feature would go out the window.

EDIT:
    LOL fantastic.
  11. Ginjer

And the point of squads being able to move on a whim is moot because, thanks to galaxies and squad deploy/beacon deploy this already happens even with the current system. The only people this really adversely effects are the people who are trying to go it solo or are part of a small group. Which is not the target of the "balancing" anyway.
  12. BlackbookPS

Random looks at map.

Thinks I can redeploy there.

Presses delete key

10 seconds timer begins

Map screen opens

15 Seconds countdown timer begins

Over 25 seconds has now passed

Random has now feel asleep behind computer!
  13. TheRealMetalstorm

you there. you and your "i want it here and i want it now" attitude. the attitude that's soiling the playerbase of today.
    you there. stop. you have many options to get into a fight.

1. instant action. It doesn't always work. But that's too bad, if you want to play as a solo guy, you suffer.
    2. join a squad/platoon. Chances are they're carrying out an attack or defense (what else would a platoon of players be doing in PS2, other than shooting?) Hit squad deploy, it pops you right on the squad leader. Not so hard, was it?
    3. can't find a platoon/squad in the fight you want to take part in? TOO BAD. Just because "I want to spawn exactly there, and exactly now", doesn't mean that you have to be catered to. Coming to the forums to throw a tantrum doesn't help and will NOT help.

[IMG]
  14. VSMars

Nice strawman here. Who said anything about NOW? It can take as much time as it currently takes for all I care.

We already can deploy anywhere we want. It just takes annoyingly many mouse clicks for no good reason.
  15. TheRealMetalstorm

You said:
    What's wrong with having to spawn-hop multiple times if you want to be 100% sure of where you're going without having to rely on teammates? Aren't you glad you can already spawn hop multiple times? Aren't you glad you aren't forced to DRIVE to your destinations?
    What about disabling all respawn options except WG for people not in a squad? Since you're fine with the amount of time it'll take to get into a fight, may I kindly suggest you drive your way there instead?

There are so many ways to get into combat from the WG. Refusing to use them is your own fault.

1. instant action. It doesn't always work. But that's too bad, if you want to play as a solo guy, you suffer.
    2. join a squad/platoon. Chances are they're carrying out an attack or defense (what else would a platoon of players be doing in PS2, other than shooting?) Hit squad deploy, it pops you right on the squad leader. Not so hard, was it?
    3. can't find a platoon/squad in the fight you want to take part in? TOO BAD. Just because "I want to spawn exactly there, and exactly now", doesn't mean that you have to be catered to. Coming to the forums to throw a tantrum doesn't help and will NOT help.

Let's not turn everybody into teleporting magic pixies (they already are pretty much that when in a group)
  16. VSMars

It's bad UI/UX design.

Who said I refuse to use them? I merrily respawn-hop from where I am to where I want to be all the time. I just wish I could - like in EVE for example - just set my destination, accept the auto-generated path there or change it if I don't like it, then let the computer do the hopping for me. I'll be back in two to three minutes to join the fight without having to babysit the computer at what's likely the most menial task in the game at the moment.
  17. TheRealMetalstorm

don't want the tedium?
    pick any of the 3 options i suggested.

otherwise, just /suicide, there is no respawn penalty like the one for redeploy
  18. PhilDun

Type /suicide to save yourself the first 10 seconds of each transfer
  19. VSMars

Alternatively ... I'll just give feedback to the developers of the game about bad UI/UX design on their part and how to fix it without invalidating the game systems. Until then, I'll just work with what we have.

You're missing the point. I don't mind the time it takes to arrive somewhere, so regular respawn (which you trigger by one keyboard click instead of 9 for "/suicide") is fast enough for me.
  20. CrashB111

The only issue I have with the respawn system is how it determines what bases need reinforcements when you are defending. I have been at the TR warpgate on Indar and the north base at Saurva was under attack by VS, but the redeploy screen would not allow me to spawn there even though geographically I was closer to it than the other bases. Instead my "Reinforcements needed" tab was telling me to go join the farm at Allatum or Zurvan.